Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2018, 08:15 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times

Advertisements

My opinion is that same sex marriage is not my business. Live and let live. If they want to get married, fine by me. Why should I decide who should get married, who shouldn't anyway?

Old 11-13-2018, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Watch View Post
And if same-sex marriage and homosexuality are to be condemned, vilified or outlawed, then what about adultery and promiscuity?
Apples to oranges.

Same sex couples can be faithful to each other. Homosexuality =/= adultery or promiscuity

Old 11-13-2018, 08:18 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,456,856 times
What Is Your Opinion On Same-Sex Marriage?

I don't care anymore.

Old 11-13-2018, 08:21 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,085,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
My opinion is that same sex marriage is not my business. Live and let live. If they want to get married, fine by me. Why should I decide who should get married, who shouldn't anyway?
This is exactly where I'm at.

Personally? I'm against it.

But who am I to tell somebody else what they can and can't do with their lives that makes them happy?

We only get one life, do with it what you wish.

Old 11-13-2018, 08:23 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Watch View Post
And if same-sex marriage and homosexuality are to be condemned, vilified or outlawed, then what about adultery and promiscuity?
Live and let live.

Unless I am doing surveillance for someone, I really don't care what goes on in the bedroom of another.

Generally, I am passive to such things, as I said, live and let live but mind you, with all the knowledge in my pretty little head, if someone official wants me to develop it into a weapon, I probably will.

It's not pretty knowing how to do an espionage war...........but someone has to do it.

Old 11-13-2018, 08:27 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey2k View Post
My opinion is that the government has no business sanctioning one personal/romantic relationship over another and should be out of the marriage business entirely.
But the government biz IS marriage. I remember when gay people would have lovely commitment ceremonies with all the trappings, and they still weren't married legally until they signed the government paper.

Read a great book back then called "What is Marriage For?" by EJ Graff. Detailed all the many legalities and financial things associated with ONLY signing that paper.

Old 11-13-2018, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
This is exactly where I'm at.

Personally? I'm against it.

But who am I to tell somebody else what they can and can't do with their lives that makes them happy?

We only get one life, do with it what you wish.
I am a Christian and have been called a "fake" Christian simply because I don't have negative opinions about gay people and or gay marriage. This said, OVERWHELMING majority of the Christians I KNOW share my belief.

I just don't think it is my place to judge. I don't support it, and I am not against it either. Just like I believe heterosexual people should get married if they want to, but there shouldn't be a rule for that either. If they just want to live together and never get married, I certainly am not going to call them immoral either. lol It is just, well, none of my business.

I love myself too much to worry about what others do with their private lives. sheesh. Yikes.

Old 11-13-2018, 08:35 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Adultery however is, at it's core, a betrayal. It's a lie too. Neither of these things can be defended. When you promise to be emotionally and physically loyal to one person and you turn around and break that promise, you are wrong. I don't think you should be punished by the government for it. But if your spouse wants to leave your cheating arse because you couldn't keep it in your pants...I 100% support the spouse.
I should have been more specific and addressed forced monogamy, which includes marriage. Adultery is a consequence of that. The mistake is in making that promise to begin with.

Adultery absolutely can be defended. We are not designed to go without and folks often do, be it through complacency, illness or abuse - someone is not having their needs met.

How can we reasonably expect someone to love us until death, or promise the same? Will I be the same person in 10, 20, 30 years you are now? Will they? There are dating sites geared toward or devoted to married people. Are millions of people bad? Or do they have legitimate reasons for being there?

The LGBTQ community deserve to have the same rights as the rest. However, I hate the idea of marriage validating relationships. Non-married couples should also have the same legal benefits as married couples.

Old 11-13-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
I should have been more specific and addressed forced monogamy, which includes marriage. Adultery is a consequence of that. The mistake is in making that promise to begin with.

Adultery absolutely can be defended. We are not designed to go without and folks often do, be it through complacency, illness or abuse - someone is not having their needs met.

How can we reasonably expect someone to love us until death, or promise the same? Will I be the same person in 10, 20, 30 years you are now? Will they? There are dating sites geared toward or devoted to married people. Are millions of people bad? Or do they have legitimate reasons for being there?

The LGBTQ community deserve to have the same rights as the rest. However, I hate the idea of marriage validating relationships. Non-married couples should also have the same legal benefits as married couples.
I understand the point you are making and certainly do not disagree with you 100%, however the bold part is something I respectfully disagree with.

Adultery IN TODAY's MODERN SOCIETY LIKE THE U.S. can NOT be defended because people always have a choice to LEAVE in any types of situations. Nobody expects you (the general term) to stay in a miserable situation for the rest of your life, but if you are a good man or a woman, you simply do not LIE to your partner. Adultery = lie. Open relationship is not a lie, sexual arrangement (as long as it is agreed upon between the partners) is not a lie. I might not agree with this type of relationships and these types of relationships are certainly not for me, but I can at least respect people for being honest and authentic.

If you feel you cannot stay faithful to your partner, suggest an open relationship; if you feel you cannot honor your wedding vows, get a divorce. It is that simply.

This said, I certainly do not believe there should be a law to punish those who committed adultery. It is between the couple who have that relationship. It is up to them to resolve the issue, or not.

Old 11-13-2018, 08:42 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,712,713 times
Marriage is nothing more than a legal contract between two people and the state. If two humans choose to get married, why is that any business but their own?

And don't give me the "sanctity of marriage" excuse because the divorce rate among heterosexual people is crazy in some states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies