Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 11:49 AM

6,061 posts, read 2,011,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I don't know if the Republican party is racists. BUT it does seem that the racists define themselves as Republican. Perhaps we should ask them why.
In D'Souza's book (there is also a doc film version of it), he has an interview of (self-described) white nationalist Richard Spencer. I've heard of him but never paid much attention to him. He comes off not at all what I would have expected.

He does not seem to care much for Reagan. He says:

Quote:
[D'Souza:] But this notion of limited government...As you know, the founders saw the government as the enemy of our rights.
Spencer: No individual has a right outside of a collective community. You have rights, not eternally or given by God, or by nature.
[D'Souza:] Who gives them to us?
Spencer: Ultimately the state gives those rights to you. The state is the source of rights, not the individual.
I don't know what that makes him, but it certainly doesn't sound like any Republican I know.

Old 11-12-2018, 11:50 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I think most of the Dixiecrats slowly migrated to the Republican party in the 70s and 80s, but overall the two parties did switch platforms years ago.
So what even if that actually happened? Radical republicans and blacks migrated to the democrats around the same time frame. Plus democrats picked of foreigners as the borders were open. That's a pretty questionable and motley crew.

Old 11-12-2018, 11:52 AM

37,221 posts, read 19,210,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
I've been reading Death of a Nation by Dinesh D'Souza, and he says no. He has a lot of compelling info to back it. I leave a lot out here, for brevity's sake.

First of all, integral to the 'Big Switch' is Nixon's 'Southern Strategy' of 1968. This is a much-beloved left wing notion, to the point that it still gets dredged up 50 years later. There are various problems with the 'Southern Strategy' theory, but I'll just cite one. Nixon's actions as president were entirely inconsistent with it. Prior to 1968, 70% of Southern black students attended segregated schools. When Nixon left, the number was down to 8%, specifically thanks to his efforts.

But suppose the 'Southern Strategy' is phantasmagoric. Couldn't there still have been a 'Big Switch.' D'Souza says 'no.' He looks all Dixiecrats and all Democrats who opposed the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Exactly ONE of this group switched to the GOP--Strom Thurmond. And with him, there is evidence of a genuine conversion on issues of race.

D'Souza cites an academic study, The End of Southern Exceptionalism. Exceptionalism here refers to 'differentness, not 'greatness.' They found that the shift to the GOP really began under Ike (1952-1960). Eisenhower won 5 'peripheral south' states, which had begun to transform into the 'New South,' which was more urban, more industrial, and less racist. The study split the South into 2 camps--the 'Old South' which was rural, agricultural, and had a long tradition of racism. Then there was the 'New South.' What they found was that the shift followed the growth of the New South. Slowly and gradually, the Old South made the same transformation. It was an economic transformation, not a 'Big Switch' based on race politics.

At the same time, the Democratic party was losing appeal in the South by moving further left, to wit George McGovern in 1972. Still, Jimmy Carter swept the South in 1976, and Bill Clinton won a majority there in 1992. The transformation was not really close to complete until 1994. In 2000 George W. Bush swept the South. D'Souza concludes, "The South has now become like the rest of the country. Southerners are Republican for the same reason that other Americans are Republican...race has relatively little to do with it." The "Big Switch," like the "Southern Strategy" is a myth and a canard.
1964. Strom Thurmond led the Southern Democrats across the aisle as a response to Civil Rights legislation. This set the stage for Kevin Phillips to craft Nixon's "Southern Strategy". Phillips taught Harry Dent who taught Lee Atwater who taught Karl Rove, who used racism as late as 2008 in South Carolina, with a whisper campaign about John McCain having a black child, effectively shooting him out of the saddle in his bid against Bush in one of the Old Guard racist states.

Here is a good article on it. Kevin Phillips also wrote a book (mentioned in the article) in case you want to get it from the horse's ass.

https://newrepublic.com/article/73253/the-southern-coup

Last edited by cuebald; 11-12-2018 at 12:07 PM..

Old 11-12-2018, 11:53 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times
Quote:
I think most of the Dixiecrats slowly migrated to the Republican party in the 70s and 80s, but overall the two parties did switch platforms years ago.

They did not. North Carolina's General Assembly was controlled by Democrat party for more than 100 years until 2010.

I was a registered Democrat and voted Democrat until 2015.

It's the loons in the Democrat party that turned the citizens away from them. Dixiecrats? Nobody knows that that is.

Old 11-12-2018, 11:55 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,414,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
They did not. North Carolina's General Assembly was controlled by Democrat party for more than 100 years until 2010.
Yes they did, the full migration just took decades. Which is why some southern states maintained Democratic control into the 90s and 2000s.

Quote:
Dixiecrats? Nobody knows that that is.
Maybe uninformed people such as yourself. I know exactly who that is, as does the OP.

Old 11-12-2018, 11:56 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
ANTIFA, BLM both racist, both violent both Democrat.

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
In D'Souza's book (there is also a doc film version of it), he has an interview of (self-described) white nationalist Richard Spencer. I've heard of him but never paid much attention to him. He comes off not at all what I would have expected.

He does not seem to care much for Reagan. He says:

I don't know what that makes him, but it certainly doesn't sound like any Republican I know.
If he said that I don't think Spencer is a conservative let alone a republican. I don't think he is just a white separatist either. I think he some kind of other political activist but I'm not really sure.

6,061 posts, read 2,011,762 times
Quote:
This is untrue. I mentioned in in post #1. Only one Dixiecrat moved to the GOP, ever, and that was Strom Thurmond.

Old 11-12-2018, 11:58 AM

3,321 posts, read 1,101,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
If he said that I don't think Spencer is a conservative let alone a republican. I don't think he is just a white separatist either. I think he some kind of other political activist but I'm not really sure.
He’s a white-nationalist, cut and dry, through and through. Stop providing cover for him.

Old 11-12-2018, 11:58 AM

37,221 posts, read 19,210,527 times
Quote:
What is your criteria for defining someone as Racist?
A person is a racist when they hate people of different colored faces due to their race being something other than their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies