Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2019, 02:59 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post

If Trump is a white supremacist, it is incredible that black unemployment is at all time lows.

True, not so true and unrelated. Hope you enjoyed your logic fail

Black unemployment fell the most under Obama. And we all know trump pretty much lies as soon as he opens his mouth

https://www.apnews.com/d7a35c3d0ad342ad8b3a041226f06746

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/14/u...americans.html

Old 04-28-2019, 03:03 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,381,194 times
The truth is that the Republican party is free from the history that the Democrats have. Take a look at slavery, at Jim Crow, at segregation, at today's situation with keeping blacks on the inner city plantation. The Democrats have always been the thorn in the side of the Americans and they continue to be today.

Old 04-28-2019, 03:04 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times
Quote:
I don't know any Republican who thinks that. You come across as a leftwinger who never leaves his liberal bubble. It is a race between you and other liberals to falsely accuse strangers of racism.

Polls of Republicans consistently indicate Republican voters consider Lincoln one of the greatest presidents which totally contradicts your smear.
Which polls? Fake ones

Here's a great example of gop denial right here

https://thehill.com/hilltv/rising/39...-about-slavery

Students don't know it either

https://www.usnews.com/news/educatio...ws?context=amp

Looks like you and Kanye could use a little learning

https://www.newsweek.com/kanye-west-...lincoln-906511

Old 04-28-2019, 03:36 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,862,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Are you saying LBJ didnt sign the CRA of 1964 ? That a majority of Dems in both chambers didnt support it ? that LBJ wasnt senate majority leader in 1957 and introduced the CRA of 57 in the Senate Judiciary though Russell ?
Read much? Comment on what I said or run along and play with the other deflection minded bots.

Quote:
Since we both know the answer is no, your only argument is that I wasnt right about LBJ's entire record, Which wasnt the main subject, but you already knew that which is why you completely ignored that as you always do.
The OP is about how the party of the klan was booted out of control by the republicans in the south. Next time don't make your typical move by trying to deflect from the truth.

LBJ flip flopped for political gain. It's been proven to you that the dems are the party of racism. They were the party of slavery, the party of Executive Order 9066, the party of Jim Crow, the party of buying the poor and minority vote with handouts. The party of failure. Own your history.

Old 04-28-2019, 03:41 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,862,130 times
Quote:
Its always interesting to me, that republicans try to debunk their own "Trump won over Obama voters" message LOL
Its always interesting to me, that dsjj251 makes things up to deflect from the topic because he has no leg to stand on.

Old 04-28-2019, 10:38 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,402,235 times
Quote:

Again, 2 statements can be true at once.

1. Israel has a right to defend itself.

2. Israel sometimes screws up .

It is sad that you cant admit that simple truth.
One thing can be true....many Democrats are anti-Semitic and pro Hamas.

Old 04-28-2019, 10:45 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,402,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Which right wing conspiracy website did you dig that up on? Let me guess... The NZ shooter, the FL trump van bomber and the coast guard RWNJ were all Obama supporters too
Is the Southern Poverty Law Center website a right wing one now? I thought they hated conservatives.

https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-h.../jason-kessler

Dinesh talked about Kesller on CSPAN, and he said a local Charlottesville newspaper talked to his ex girlfriend and she said Kessler was leftwing and broke up with her because she is conservative. lol

In my view, if this guy is sane, he must understand that his C'ville rally hurt the right given the media has tried to make out Trump voters as white racists. That's why it seems like it was a false flag operation. If you care about issues like border security, you wouldn't want it to be associated with white racism.

Liberals can't argue against a wall on the merits, that's why they try to make it about racism. No liberal can articulate why it is a bad thing to have a wall to force people to enter the country legally so that we can can vet them and keep out the criminals, and so the ones that get in pay taxes.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 04-28-2019 at 10:58 AM..

Old 04-28-2019, 01:49 PM

33 posts, read 14,415 times
I'm a black liberal and a Democrat who will offer my two cents on this.

What, oh, of course not!

Didn't you hear? The notion that there were a bunch of extremely racist conservative Southern Democrats who started switching away from the Democrats to become Dixiecrats after the party became more liberal on civil rights for blacks in 1948 under Truman, and then virtually completed another switch further to the Republicans in 1964 because Johnson and his fellow liberal Democrats supported and signed the Civil Rights Act of 1964 whereas conservative Republicans—including Barry Goldwater, the 1964 GOP nominee who only won (you guessed it) his home state and the Deep South, where racism was (and, unfortunately, probably still is) strongest—opposed it; this is all just a fairy tale cooked up by modern-day, sanctimonious white and black liberals who are trying to tear the godly Republican Party down! *sarcasm mode*

Yes, of course there was a switch.

Quote:
We’re not going to get the Negro vote as a bloc in 1964 or 1968, so we ought to go hunting where the ducks are.
-1961, Senator Barry Goldwater, ultraconservative front man for the extreme right-wing of America and 1964 Republican presidential nominee (source)

Quote:
The negro cannot count forever on the kind of restraint that's thus far left him free to clog the streets, disrupt traffic, and interfere with other men's rights.
-1963, Jesse Helms, the future Republican Senator from North Carolina who was formerly a Democrat, and, along with his fellow conservative whites, switched to the GOP and promoted anti-black policies when angered about the Democrats' increasing liberalism on the issue of equal rights for black people and other racial minorities.

Quote:
If an individual wants to discriminate against Negroes or others in selling or renting his house, it is his right to do so.
-1966, Ronald Reagan during his successful gubernatorial campaign for Governor of California (source)

Quote:
By the '70s and into the '80s and '90s, the Democratic Party solidified its gains in the African American community, and we Republicans did not effectively reach out... Some Republicans gave up on winning the African American vote, looking the other way or trying to benefit politically from racial polarization. I am here today as the Republican chairman to tell you we were wrong
-July 14, 2005, Ken Mehlman, then-chairman of the Republican National Committee, in a speech to the NAACP. (source)

Quote:
From now on, the Republicans are never going to get more than 10 to 20 percent of the Negro vote and they don't need any more than that... but Republicans would be shortsighted if they weakened enforcement of the Voting Rights Act. The more Negroes who register as Democrats in the South, the sooner the Negrophobe whites will quit the Democrats and become Republicans. That's where the votes are. Without that prodding from the blacks, the whites will backslide into their old comfortable arrangement with the local Democrats.
-1970, Kevin Phillips, Republican political strategist and adviser to Richard Nixon.

And I'm sure plenty of other people have brought up the late RNC Chairman Lee Atwater's infamous 1981 anonymous interview with political scientist Alexander Lamis:

Quote:
Atwater: As to the whole Southern strategy that Harry S. Dent, Sr. and others put together in 1968, opposition to the Voting Rights Act would have been a central part of keeping the South. Now you don't have to do that. All that you need to do to keep the South is for Reagan to run in place on the issues that he's campaigned on since 1964, and that's fiscal conservatism, balancing the budget, cut taxes, you know, the whole cluster.

Questioner: But the fact is, isn't it, that Reagan does get to the Wallace voter and to the racist side of the Wallace voter by doing away with legal services, by cutting down on food stamps?

Atwater: Y'all don't quote me on this. You start out in 1954 by saying, "******, ******, ******". By 1968 you can't say "******"—that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states' rights and all that stuff. You're getting so abstract now [that] you're talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you're talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is [that] blacks get hurt worse than whites. And subconsciously maybe that is part of it. I'm not saying that. But I'm saying that if it is getting that abstract, and that coded, that we are doing away with the racial problem one way or the other. You follow me—because obviously sitting around saying, "We want to cut this", is much more abstract than even the busing thing, and a hell of a lot more abstract than "******, ******". So, any way you look at it, race is coming on the backbone.
It's not a coincidence that the Solid South, which was once a Democratic Party stronghold in the days of Jim Crow and racial segregation, is now a bastion of Republican politics at the national and state levels, particularly int he Bible Belt, dominated by white, ultraconservative Protestant fundamentalist Christians.

As a black liberal American, and also an evangelical Christian who loves the Lord Jesus Christ, I got offended and angry when I hear the numerous, noisy, sanctimonious and belligerent complaints from conservative white Christians, especially fellow evangelicals, about the 85-90% of blacks who vote Democrat, from the level of presidential elections on down to state and local elections.

The Democrats' deserve our votes for their record of heroic liberal activism of campaigning for our civil rights, supporting minimum wage increases and funding for government assistance to the working poor and unemployed, maintaining a strong social safety net with funds for Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security, supporting affirmative action programs to make sure that a good percentage of qualified blacks and other minorities get a seat at the table of industries and professions dominated by white males where institutional racism still plays a subtle role, and having reasonable gun restrictions to prevent gun violence which all too often leads to the death of young black males caught up with the wrong crowd.

The Republicans, since the switch on this issue from the 1960s, have pursued a mean-spirited, divisive and bigoted strategy of doing the politics of racial exclusion, whether it is campaigning at segregationist schools like Bob Jones University, eviscerating funds for welfare programs and initiatives to help those in urban areas and big cities while giving away huge tax cuts to the wealthiest Americans—the former of whom are disproportionately black and Hispanic, the latter of whom are disproportionately white—and opposing any kind of affirmative action programs designed to get more blacks up in the business world, when affirmative action has a proven track record of success and helped move blacks into the middle and professional classes during the 1970s through the 1990s, and still does today with companies that take steps to be inclusive in their hiring policies.

We're also wary of supporting the Republican Party as it is dominated by ultraconservative white evangelicals, who, historically-speaking, were the mortal enemies of black people; just a few decades ago who just a few decades ago they defended segregation and that God had ordained the races remain separate, preached that interracial marriage was a sin, supported apartheid in South Africa, and still oppose affirmative action programs I have mentioned before, for the nonsense reason that it is "reverse racism", when it fact it is designed to reverse the racism that blacks have faced for decades.

Over 2,400 blacks were killed by fanatically racist lynch mobs in the South between 1882 and 1930 — the region that is the heart of white, right-wing evangelical Christian America. White evangelical church leaders looked on with callous indifference as thousands of blacks were taken to the noose, or even burned alive, and the fact is many churchgoers even attended these lynchings, being almost orgasmic at the sight of seeing blacks being tortured to death, no doubt a result of the racist theology preached in those churches, which stated that blacks were lower in God's eyes than whites as they were under the Curse of Ham from the Book of Genesis, and deserving of oppression and subordination.

The Republicans, for the past decades up to the present, have shamefully tried to exploit and pander to these millions of white racists who still exist throughout the United States, not just in the South. We can see it with our current President referring to African nations as "****hole countries" and saying that he wants immigrants to be from countries like Norway.

As Christianity Today writer John C. Richards, Jr. excellently put it in an October 2018 article:

Quote:
African-Americans have seen the tweets and heard the statements. Low IQ. Crazy. Unhinged. Dog. Crime loving. Disrespectful. These are just a few of the descriptive terms President Trump has used to describe Black men and women throughout his presidency. And this isn’t new behavior.
I will never vote for Republicans as long as I live. As a Bible-believing black Christian who tries to follow the Lord as best I can, I will never vote for politicians from a party that has such un-Christian values and attitudes, of racism, xenophobia, anti-immigrant sentiment, and hostility to the middle and poor classes, while being allies to the richest of the rich and the powerful in our society — groups of people that Jesus Himself targeted for criticism for their hypocrisy, self-righteousness and indifference to those less powerful than them, just look at His statements against the Pharisees.

Last edited by JesusLovingBaptist98; 04-28-2019 at 02:16 PM..

Old 04-28-2019, 05:01 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,010,275 times
Quote:
Good post.

LBJ was a cunning politician, not a principled civil rights champion.
D'Souza has a section on LBJ in his book Death of a Nation. He tends to agree with your assessment. He says that the CRA 1964 was in essence cynical opportunism and political calculation. There's no doubt that LBJ was master of political calculation. Still, I am not so sure.

LBJ was a strange enigma. He started as a grade school teacher of mostly impoverished Mexican-American children in TX who was by all accounts, very devoted to his non-white students.

His press secretary George Reedy, who parted on bad terms with LBJ, nonetheless always insisted that LBJ (paraphrase from memory) "never had a racist bone in his body."

Perhaps we'll never know his true motive, but perhaps it doesn't matter. It's always better to try to evaluate ideas and results than motives.

Old 04-28-2019, 05:11 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,010,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusLovingBaptist98 View Post
... The notion that there were a bunch of extremely racist conservative Southern Democrats who started switching away from the Democrats to become Dixiecrats after the party became more liberal on civil rights for blacks in 1948 under Truman, and then virtually completed another switch further to the Republicans in 1964....
For maybe the 100th time in this thread, there was only one Dixiecrat who switched to the GOP: Strom Thurmond. That is according to D'Souza's book. According to 1 or 2 posters in this thread, there may have been one other obscure Dixiecrat congress critter who switched to the GOP, which I can't confirm. Either way, that is TWO at the most. TWO is not 'a bunch.'

The South did not become majority GOP until 1994. The Republicans in Congress voted for the Civil Rights Act of 1964 in greater proportions than the Democrats.

So your narrative suggests that a)Southern white racists upset about CRA 1964 waited 30 years, until 1994, to fully act on their anger; b)when they did finally act, they did so by switching to the party that had supported the source of their anger in greater proportions. That makes zero sense. In fact, less than zero.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies