Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 09:22 PM

37,941 posts, read 17,737,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusLovingBaptist98 View Post

...Including not one, but TWO past chairmen of the Republican National Committee.

Look, blacks are not fooled by conservatives' revisionist history. There's a reason we have given 83-95% of our votes to the Democratic candidate for President in every election since 1964, when Goldwater campaigned on cutting social programs and government assistance to the poor, toyed with the idea of making Social Security voluntary, and, worst of all, opposed the 1964 Civil Rights Act, the greatest achievement for us, whereas his opponent LBJ supported and signed the liberal legislation and won the election.
It's not revisionist history. It's called the truth. Something you ignore.
The reason you are voting democrat is for the handouts. That was the reason for the switch from the republican party to the party of the klan in the 1930s. Own your partys racist past and present.

Quote:
It was white conservatives, in both the Democratic and Republican Party, who fought tooth-and-nail against the civil rights movement of the 1960s and 1970s, and their opposition had nothing to do with having smaller government, individual liberty, lower taxes or fiscal responsibility, and had everything to do with the racism in their hearts.
It wasn't white conservatives and you have no proof. That's just your racism shining through.

Quote:
It was Senator Trent Lott, a Republican from Mississippi, who said in a December 2002 birthday party for Republican Senator Strom Thurmond of South Carolina, an avowed segregationist, that "when Strom Thurmond ran for president, we [Mississippians] voted for him. We're proud of it. And if the rest of the country had followed our lead, we wouldn't have had all these problems over the years, either." The implication was and is clear. (source)
The right doesn't support the racists. The left does. Own your partys racist past and present

Quote:
It was a pattern for Lott, who said the same thing in 1980, as well as that the "spirit of Jefferson Davis lives on in the Republican platform". He consistently opposed affirmative action, voting against minimum wage increases, and told the Council of Conservative Citizens'—a white supremacist organization—that the people in the organization stand "for the right principles and the right philosophy." (source)
Because blacks are inferior and need handouts to survive. Understood that you think blacks are lower tier people. That's just your racism shining through

Quote:
It was George W. Bush who chose to campaign at Bob Jones University in 2000, a bastion of ultraconservative Christian fundamentalism and racist theology, which prohibited interracial dating between blacks and whites, and who refused to apologize to blacks, only apologizing to Catholics, since he knew that blacks wouldn't vote for him in any significant numbers.
lol Make something else up.

Quote:
Ronald Reagan's atrocious record on civil rights and his administration's attempts to rollback blacks' hard-fought gains is legendary and well-documented.

As BET writer Joe Davidson wrote in 2004, Reagan:
Reagan was a democrat. That's where most of the bigots come from.

Quote:
It's not a coincidence that the Republican Party has had people like Jesse Helms, David Duke, Strom Thurmond, Trent Lott, and now Donald Trump under its tent. Its political base is a hotbed of right-wing extremism, anti-black racism, xenophobic hatred, and all-around anti-immigrant sentiment.
Yet George Wallace would have won the democratic nomination for President if he hadn't been shot. Sen Byrd was a long time klansman who recruited an entire chapter. The right doesn't support the racists, the left does. Own your partys racist past and present.

Quote:
The Republican Party stands for white supremacy, division, exclusion, hatred, giving out welfare to the richest of the rich by even cutting their estate taxes, cutting billions from school nutrition programs, Head Start, SNAP, government assistance to the working lower-class who need it, supporting the most fanatical extremists of the gun militia movements in this country, Big Business, and anti-immigrant policies to keep blacks, Hispanics, Asians and other immigrants from "browning" what they feel rightfully belongs to white people.
The Democratic Party stands for lies, deceit, failure, and treating minorities like children. Any wonder why blacks and hispanics have a much higher rate of committing crime and abandoning children? That's what welfare does to all groups. The reliance on government by able bodied adults is a misnomer. Adults don't rely on handouts, children do.

Old 04-29-2019, 10:12 PM

13,563 posts, read 10,279,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
That's the best counter-argument you can produce? Lame name-calling concluding with "c'mon?" That's not very persuasive.
Predictable and broken record response of denial, deflection and denigration. Why am I not surprised?

I'm just giving your comments exactly the merit it deserves. Thank you for playing.

Old 04-30-2019, 02:00 AM

29,410 posts, read 16,313,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Bill Clinton awarded his mentor, segregationist and former Arkansas senator William Fullbright, the Presidential Medal of Freedom.

Clinton called Fullbright a great visionary.

Liberals including Hillary and Obama lined up to laud Robert Byrd, a liberal Democrat who filibustered the Civil Rights ACt and was a member of the KKK, when he passed.

All of this would have been construed as racism if these Democrats are Republicans.

A rhetorical trick liberals like to do is associate the word conservative with racism. They can't deny the racist Democrats back in the day were Democrats, so they call them conservatives as though the definition of conservative is racist. That's not the conservative's definition of conservative.

They are forced to argue that racist voters who supported New Deal FDR style politicians were somehow conservatives
The problem with your argument is that these people werent winning election 51/49. And that Republicans liked those senators too. I mean Byrd was re elected and his voters also voted for Trump and Manchin.

Democratic winning percentage for Senate elections in 1944

Alabama 81.4
Arkansas 85.1
Florida 71.3
Georgia 100(unopposed)
Kentucky 54.8
Louisiana 100(unopposed)
North Carolina 70.3
South Carolina 93

so you cant make the "gradual" change argument. Some of these states went from Democrats running unopposed to Republicans winning with 60 to 70% of the vote. Arkansas and Alabama are the best examples.

Your argument ends up claiming these thats were once so "Liberal" That Republicans couldnt even campaign.

ALso, you might want to tell your fellow Republicans to night say " Democrats used to care about the people", because by your own time frame, the only time that could have happened was when you label democrats as racist.

Old 04-30-2019, 02:51 AM

2,067 posts, read 1,619,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
I've been reading Death of a Nation by Dinesh D'Souza, and he says no. He has a lot of compelling info to back it. I leave a lot out here, for brevity's sake.

First of all, integral to the 'Big Switch' is Nixon's 'Southern Strategy' of 1968. This is a much-beloved left wing notion, to the point that it still gets dredged up 50 years later. There are various problems with the 'Southern Strategy' theory, but I'll just cite one. Nixon's actions as president were entirely inconsistent with it. Prior to 1968, 70% of Southern black students attended segregated schools. When Nixon left, the number was down to 8%, specifically thanks to his efforts.

But suppose the 'Southern Strategy' is phantasmagoric. Couldn't there still have been a 'Big Switch.' D'Souza says 'no.' He looks all Dixiecrats and all Democrats who opposed the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Exactly ONE of this group switched to the GOP--Strom Thurmond. And with him, there is evidence of a genuine conversion on issues of race.

D'Souza cites an academic study, The End of Southern Exceptionalism. Exceptionalism here refers to 'differentness, not 'greatness.' They found that the shift to the GOP really began under Ike (1952-1960). Eisenhower won 5 'peripheral south' states, which had begun to transform into the 'New South,' which was more urban, more industrial, and less racist. The study split the South into 2 camps--the 'Old South' which was rural, agricultural, and had a long tradition of racism. Then there was the 'New South.' What they found was that the shift followed the growth of the New South. Slowly and gradually, the Old South made the same transformation. It was an economic transformation, not a 'Big Switch' based on race politics.

At the same time, the Democratic party was losing appeal in the South by moving further left, to wit George McGovern in 1972. Still, Jimmy Carter swept the South in 1976, and Bill Clinton won a majority there in 1992. The transformation was not really close to complete until 1994. In 2000 George W. Bush swept the South. D'Souza concludes, "The South has now become like the rest of the country. Southerners are Republican for the same reason that other Americans are Republican...race has relatively little to do with it." The "Big Switch," like the "Southern Strategy" is a myth and a canard.
I studied racism in graduate school under the context of sociology and statistical demographics. I am also Native American. It depends on the definition of "racist". There is not a consensus on the definition. In general, whites are more likely to acknowledge only the extreme form of racism: KKK, Nazis, segregationists (e.g. George Wallace), etc. But the oversimplification to the extreme form is incomplete.

Other categories of racism are: (1) subtle racism, (2) institutional racism, (3) colorism, and (4) reverse racism. The institutional racism could have a subcategory of environmental racism. The pattern of white flight could be labeled as (1). For the sake of completion, let's label extreme virulent racism as (5).

The most common forms of racism in the modern south are (1)-(4). The modern south has generally faded for extreme racism of (5) (relative to the 1950s). A lot of white southerners insist we live in a "post-racial" world such that the segregation once rigidly enforced in the "Jim Crow South". But from having lived in the south for over ten years, it is my conclusion that such whites who insist upon that are not acknowledging the reality of (1)-(4) labeled above.

So, to get back to your question, there was indeed a switch of white southerners going from Democratic to Republican around the 1960s. Nixon was indeed very racist. Trump pales in comparison to the type of racism Nixon had adopted. His policies centered upon social control and "stopping the riots" in the inner cities rather than truly helping minorities. The quota-based system of affirmative action was rooted in Nixon's belief that minorities are indeed intellectually inferior. Affirmative action was presented ostensibly as a policy to help minorities, but its ulterior motive was social control to stop the riots of the Civil Rights Movement back then. Nixon was very racist. Ironically, many modern minorities want to retain affirmative action with the quota system when it was rooted in Nixon's virulent racism.

So, there was a movement of racist whites of the extreme variety from the Demoractic Party to Republican largely engineered by Nixon. But it also has to be noted that the categories of racism in (1)-(4) were common back then among Democrats (both whites and minorities), and it still is common now. So, both parties do have some degree of racism of one form or another present. For example, President Kennedy and Johnson both approved the use of Agent Orange in Vietnam which was environmental racism. Kennedy supposedly embraced the Civil Rights Movement but disinvited a young Sammy Davis Jr. from a political event due to the fact that Davis had a blonde Nordic wife. That would be an example of subtle racism - ambiguous, vague, and somewhat covert but obvious to the minority affected (Davis). However, Davis was not innocent either - he preferred white women over black women, which is colorism or discrimination of minorities against each other based on skin color. Davis rejected dark black women to be with a white Nordic blonde woman. Sinatra and Martin were supposedly not racist and embraced Davis as part of the "Rat Pack" but were notorious for throwing him microaggressions - pernicious insults based on his being black. Sociologists would refer to that as subtle racism. Hence, the Democracts weren't very innocent either (and oftentimes still aren't). In the south, many whites who voted for Obama, a light-skinned African American President, would still lock the door in a Publix parking lot at the sight of a much darker black man in broad daylight.

The definition of racism should include (at a minimum) (1)-(5) to get a more realistic analysis of the sociological context. In the south, I have found that (5) is usually assumed by many whites to be the only category that matters in such discussions when it is grossly incomplete.

Old 04-30-2019, 06:31 AM

270 posts, read 108,482 times
Locking your car door around black people is racist?

Old 04-30-2019, 06:48 AM

33 posts, read 14,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
The reason you are voting democrat is for the handouts. That was the reason for the switch from the republican party to the party of the klan in the 1930s. Own your partys racist past and present.
Yep, 88-90% of blacks vote Democrat only because we are lazy and dependent on government programs and want hand-outs, instead of a hand-up. Thanks for revealing what an ignorant racist you are. And white conservatives wonder why they get accused of racism so much.

Old 04-30-2019, 07:35 AM

72,815 posts, read 62,143,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcattwood View Post
Yep, black people are too dumb to make that choice for themselves, so we need the government to make it for them.

Beside that, making people have children they don't want seems like a great way to keep them in poverty, or at least less well off.
I get the sarcasm. All sarcasm aside though. I am not a supporter of abortion. Adoption is a better option.

Now, off my soap box. The government is not making Black women go out and get abortions. In fact, in many cases, women desire to get abortions because they don't want to have children. No one is telling a Black women, "you must get an abortion". However, there is another issue I notice that isn't being talked about: Poor prenatal care. Alot of Black women do not have decent access to good prenatal health care. Black women have the highest rates of stillbirths in the USA. Black babies have the highest infant mortality rate in the USA. I notice the persons who care about abortion alot don't care that Black women often have a higher rate of stillbirths, or about the high infant mortality rate among Black babies.

Old 04-30-2019, 07:08 PM

10,106 posts, read 7,320,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I notice the persons who care about abortion alot don't care that Black women often have a higher rate of stillbirths, or about the high infant mortality rate among Black babies.
I notice a lot of liberals use arguments like this when trying to justify abortion.

It is interesting to me that most liberals are ok with abortion which includes a lot of black babies while at the same time they are accusing pro life Republicans of oppressing black people.

Any person who thinks a black baby is worthy of life and should not be deprived of his or her life can't hate black people.

Old 04-30-2019, 07:49 PM

6,061 posts, read 1,987,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
...Other categories of racism are: (1) subtle racism, (2) institutional racism, (3) colorism, and (4) reverse racism. The institutional racism could have a subcategory of environmental racism. The pattern of white flight could be labeled as (1). For the sake of completion, let's label extreme virulent racism as (5).
I would add (6) to your list: crypto-racism. This involves throwing out false accusations of racism in a backhanded effort to divide and inflame people along racial groupings:
crypto-racism among the liberal-left.

Quote:
So, to get back to your question, there was indeed a switch of white southerners going from Democratic to Republican around the 1960s. Nixon was indeed very racist. . affirmative action was rooted in Nixon's belief that minorities are indeed intellectually inferior...
The numbers actually show that the switch was much more about economic transition than race politics. See any of the numerous posts where I discuss the book The End of Southern Exceptionalism.

As for Nixon, why would a 'very racist' president work so hard to de-segregate Southern schools? See any number of posts where I discuss the numbers, and what Nixon did. You can search the thread. I'm not going to post the same numbers and points over and over.

As for affirmative action, now I suppose politicos are damned (racist) if they support it, and damned if they don't. What a great example of crypto-racism right there.

Quote:
Kennedy supposedly embraced the Civil Rights Movement but disinvited a young Sammy Davis Jr. from a political event due to the fact that Davis had a blonde Nordic wife. That would be an example of subtle racism... However, Davis was not innocent either - he preferred white women over black women, which is colorism or discrimination of minorities against each other based on skin color. Davis rejected dark black women to be with a white Nordic blonde woman....
There is no 'supposedly' about this. It has been widely reported, and was related in a book by SDJ's daughter. What you leave out was that SDJ then approached JFK's opponent the ('very racist') Nixon, who welcomed SDJ with open arms. You can find video of SDJ and Nixon together at events.

LOL, so now we are 'subtle racist' based on our choice of spouse. I am very pale (Nordic descent) and have always been attracted to 'women of color.' Does that make me a 'subtle racist?'

Old 05-04-2019, 08:08 PM

567 posts, read 426,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post

It wasn't white conservatives and you have no proof. That's just your racism shining through.

The right doesn't support the racists. The left does. Own your partys racist past and present

Because blacks are inferior and need handouts to survive. Understood that you think blacks are lower tier people. That's just your racism shining through

lol Make something else up.

Reagan was a democrat. That's where most of the bigots come from.

Yet George Wallace would have won the democratic nomination for President if he hadn't been shot. Sen Byrd was a long time klansman who recruited an entire chapter. The right doesn't support the racists, the left does. Own your partys racist past and present.

The Democratic Party stands for lies, deceit, failure, and treating minorities like children. Any wonder why blacks and hispanics have a much higher rate of committing crime and abandoning children? That's what welfare does to all groups. The reliance on government by able bodied adults is a misnomer. Adults don't rely on handouts, children do.
I guess I shouldn't be surprised at your shockingly racist comments. But I am. What I don't understand is why anyone in their right mind would express such uneducated, uninformed views on a forum such as City-Data, which can be read by millions world wide.

Last edited by Angelino19; 05-04-2019 at 08:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies