Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 10:44 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times

Advertisements

Let's face it. The Liberal/Progressives now control Education, the Media, Entertainment, Social Media, Tech, most of Corporate America, and most rank and file Governments. Suburbs around cities are now mostly Democrat strongholds as are the cities at their core. The metro area, population centers are growing and all Democrat. For whatever reason, when people congregate in population centers they are liberal/progressive Democrat, or quickly become that. States don't have Electoral Colleges so now these metro areas control entire states.

The U.S. trend is overwhelmingly BLUE. It will take some form of paradigm shift to change that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 11:13 AM

5,278 posts, read 6,213,202 times
I wouldn't say all metros and states are moving Blue. I think Trump has pulled in new voters and seen a lot of older and working class Dem voters cross over. But last Tuesday he coughed up huge numbers of college educated and suburban voters.

If you look at states- the Missouris, Inidanas and Tennessees are growing even more conservative. Florida attracts a lot of older voters who both skew R and are more likely to vote. The Southwest, Georgia and North Carolina are creeping towards the D column. We're basically seeing regional realignments. The question is if they are shorter or longer term.

Old 11-13-2018, 11:16 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
I wouldn't say all metros and states are moving Blue. I think Trump has pulled in new voters and seen a lot of older and working class Dem voters cross over. But last Tuesday he coughed up huge numbers of college educated and suburban voters.

If you look at states- the Missouris, Inidanas and Tennessees are growing even more conservative. Florida attracts a lot of older voters who both skew R and are more likely to vote. The Southwest, Georgia and North Carolina are creeping towards the D column. We're basically seeing regional realignments. The question is if they are shorter or longer term.
Any state that has one, or more large metro, area population center is making their respective states BLUE.
The only states that aren't subject to this trend don't have a big city, with big city suburbs.

Old 11-13-2018, 11:22 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
How? Bonuses. The warehouse pays $18.00/hour. Last year, he made just under $74,000. How? Bonuses. The way it works is speed and accuracy. They are allowed only 3 mistakes a week, otherwise they lose their bonus. Since he's been here, he only missed twice, and was furious with himself as he prides himself with accuracy.

I happen to speak German (was born there), and yes, he speaks German. I've heard him speak a Slavic language, and I can only presume that it was Russian.

He is an immigrant, not an illegal. I asked him about the demographics at the warehouse, and he told me it was 90% Hispanics, most from Mexico. I expressed that it sounds like a lot of nepotism going on, and his response was that people born here just can't keep up with the work ethic that requires speed AND accuracy to make anything over the base wage. In fact, too many mistakes, and the person is gone (I don't know what that cutoff is). He relayed that often non-immigrants are hired, but they can't keep up. What can I say... I've seen what he does. I've seen the condo (not in the best part of town) before he fixed it up, and he does the same with the house. He drove a horrible beater he brought up from Mexico for two years before buying a decent used car... different priorities than most people here.

He doesn't believe in any credit other than the mortgage. Car was paid cash, and he and his wife will buy second hand clothes and articles, to get ahead. How many people born here will do that? Most people here want the latest and greatest today, right now, and load up the credit card, right?

It's a different perspective. It's a perspective my parents had when we came over, and most Germans who came at that time had a similar viewpoint, and most of those have done very well over the years.

Work, hard work, smart living and humble living pays off in the long run. Most people born here no longer thing that way.
Sorry, I'm not buying any of this. You don't make $18/hr as a warehouse order picker leave alone $74,000. I don't believe even Costco or Aldi pays that well. I do however believe the warehouse is 90% Hispanic through favoritism and discriminating against other Americans. But I bet some or many are illegals and working for peanuts.

And so you're an immigrant from Germany and you favor immigrants to native Americans and spin a tale of immigrant and Hispanic superiority. Anyone wonders why I don't like immigrants at all?

Old 11-13-2018, 11:31 AM

67 posts, read 61,634 times
The problem is rural America believes everyone should live by their rules. Well they are in for a rude awakening, because the world is trending towards freedom of expression and the rest of the country ain't going to be dictated by the good book anymore. Resist the red!

Old 11-13-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
That's been my experience too. Latinos tend to work their azz off and run circles around most of the locals, at least around here. Want a roof replaced quickly and efficiently? I know who I want on that crew.

That's the way my German and English ancestors were too. Worked hard, squeezed their pennies and lived frugally.
My experience is they may work hard for less pay that's usually off the books and under the table, but they do shoddy work and put Americans out of work and business. Nothing good about that. Also they tend to be poor or least on paper are and collect welfare benefits and other social services. And they tend to be barely educated or literate in their own language leave alone not speaking English, German and Russian, like the other poster's super Latino tale.

And the show stopper is most of them are not of a legal origin, and need to leave regardless of how superior to Americans they are or not.

Old 11-13-2018, 11:51 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,594,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Sorry, I'm not buying any of this. You don't make $18/hr as a warehouse order picker leave alone $74,000. I don't believe even Costco or Aldi pays that well. I do however believe the warehouse is 90% Hispanic through favoritism and discriminating against other Americans. But I bet some or many are illegals and working for peanuts.

And so you're an immigrant from Germany and you favor immigrants to native Americans and spin a tale of immigrant and Hispanic superiority. Anyone wonders why I don't like immigrants at all?
Immigrants don't have an entitlement perspective that many have. They come over with little. Think of the groups that have done well. Vietnamese... came with less than nothing. Done well as a group. Most east Indians came over with little. Dominant in hotel/motel ownership across America. Chinese? Some of your top students, as they VALUE education, as opposed to many Americans who now look down on higher education. Hispanics? Hard workers, busting their butts to provide for their families.

Now, I know many non-immigrants who do just fine, work hard, and value education. The problem is, that way, way too many Americans blame immigrants on their lack of work ethic, and their lack of valuing education. Way too many.

Old 11-13-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
My experience is they may work hard for less pay that's usually off the books and under the table, but they do shoddy work and put Americans out of work and business. Nothing good about that. Also they tend to be poor or least on paper are and collect welfare benefits and other social services. And they tend to be barely educated or literate in their own language leave alone not speaking English, German and Russian, like the other poster's super Latino tale.

And the show stopper is most of them are not of a legal origin, and need to leave regardless of how superior to Americans they are or not.
Care to provide ANY legitimate source showing that most Hispanics are not legally in country? No one is disputing that there are a lot who have come to the USA illegally, but that does not make MOST Hispanics illegals immigrants. Not even close.

Old 11-13-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Immigrants don't have an entitlement perspective that many have. They come over with little. Think of the groups that have done well. Vietnamese... came with less than nothing. Done well as a group. Most east Indians came over with little. Dominant in hotel/motel ownership across America. Chinese? Some of your top students, as they VALUE education, as opposed to many Americans who now look down on higher education. Hispanics? Hard workers, busting their butts to provide for their families.

Now, I know many non-immigrants who do just fine, work hard, and value education. The problem is, that way, way too many Americans blame immigrants on their lack of work ethic, and their lack of valuing education. Way too many.
It doesn't matter whether or the how immigrants succeed. They could be engaging in nepotism or being favored by our government in loans and other programs, or cheats. The important point is they are taking away from Americans and many and every measure and should not be here.

Old 11-13-2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
It doesn't matter whether or the how immigrants succeed. They could be engaging in nepotism or being favored by our government in loans and other programs, or cheats. The important point is they are taking away from Americans and many and every measure and should not be here.
Most immigrants become American citizens. You're OK with that, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies