Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 07:41 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The Police are not there to protect & serve any longer.
When they come to take names and clean up the mess, they has one mission when they arrive. Make it home at night.
Shoot first ask questions later is taught over and over to the many police forces around the nation.
It is the entire reason you see so many cops shooting and killing people that should have never ever been shot, much less brandishing upon arrival.
According to this, “ only 27% of all Police officers have ever fired their service weapon while on the job.”

Police officers who have fired a gun on duty: A closer look

How many Police Officers are shot every year?

How many are deemed good shoots?

I am not defending the cop who shot.

I don’t judge all LE by the actions of some officers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 08:16 AM

1,239 posts, read 510,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
According to this, “ only 27% of all Police officers have ever fired their service weapon while on the job.”

Police officers who have fired a gun on duty: A closer look

How many Police Officers are shot every year?

How many are deemed good shoots?

I am not defending the cop who shot.

I don’t judge all LE by the actions of some officers.
27% of cops having discharged their weapons on duty is an absolutely astronomical number.

I think this is less of a race issue (could be proven wrong), and more of a sign that a "good guy with a gun," is not nearly the solution that gun rights activists claim it is.

More people with guns leads to more confusion, leads to more shots fired, leads to more death. It might help sometimes, but it will also lead to situations like this, and worse.

Old 11-13-2018, 08:23 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,083,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sactown4 View Post

More people with guns leads to more confusion, leads to more shots fired, leads to more death. It might help sometimes, but it will also lead to situations like this, and worse.
Agree 100%.

Old 11-13-2018, 08:27 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,648,053 times
Quote:
The unintended consequences of 53% of All murders in the USA
69% of all violent crime in the USA
72% of all theft, burglary, robbery in the USA

We are going to be profiled by our complexion by all LE, until the Black community can police themselves to get it under control.

If it was not so sad, it would be funny.
They always find a way to blame the Blacks.. smh

Old 11-13-2018, 08:29 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,648,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Everyone at the scene was likely black. The officer may have been, too.
and so??? I’m sure that makes his family feel better.

Old 11-13-2018, 08:30 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,092,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sactown4 View Post
27% of cops having discharged their weapons on duty is an absolutely astronomical number.

I think this is less of a race issue (could be proven wrong), and more of a sign that a "good guy with a gun," is not nearly the solution that gun rights activists claim it is.

I'm very surprised at that number but I guess I shouldn't be. In my neck of the woods there have been many particularly egregious shootings of unarmed citizens in recent years. And in virtually every case the response of the police departments is the same: silence. Just wait out the public outcry then sweep the bad shootings under the rug. Occasionally after intense pressure from local media, politicians, etc., a cop involved in a bad shooting will be charged and convicted. But that's extremely rare. This is why people don't trust cops.

Old 11-13-2018, 08:33 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,809,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
The question is, if the murdered security guard had been wearing a police-type uniform, would the cop still have shot him, in those circumstances? I'm afraid that the answer might be yes, although if I was working as an armed security guard, I would not want to be without a uniform. This whole thing is a tragedy and a stupid one, at that. The cop certainly has no future in that job, even if he goes unpunished. My condolences to the man's family and friends.
According to this he was wearing his uniform, and a hat with the word security written on it. His gun was licensed. The crowd yelled at the police that he was the security guard, but they shot too quickly for it to matter:

https://www.npr.org/2018/11/13/66725...pected-shooter

Looks like they just saw a guy with a gun and started shooting. They didn’t even look at his uniform.

You would think they’d at least yell “drop your weapon” or something first.

Old 11-13-2018, 08:40 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,083,837 times
Quote:
The Police are not there to protect & serve any longer.
When they come to take names and clean up the mess, they has one mission when they arrive. Make it home at night.
Shoot first ask questions later is taught over and over to the many police forces around the nation.
It is the entire reason you see so many cops shooting and killing people that should have never ever been shot, much less brandishing upon arrival.
Yep. Witnesses on scene said the guy was a hero, chasing down and tackling a shooter. And yet the hero "good guy with a gun" was shot dead by cops.

Something has to give. Innocent people are being shot at an alarming rate these days.

Old 11-13-2018, 09:08 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Holy cow, what, they just start blastin the poor Guy????

My level of respect, trust and feelings of good-will toward Police could not go any lower.

Old 11-13-2018, 09:14 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
i still think they need to take the guns away from cops, they have proven they can be responsible. dont do as i say, i will kill you, dont do as i say i will kill you.

instead, hey buddy i got all day, now hop in the back of the car

Some believe “ they” need to take the guns away from ALL people because people have proven they are not responsible with guns.

Most cops don’t shoot people.

Most people don’t shoot people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies