Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 03:40 PM

17,210 posts, read 12,099,241 times

Advertisements

In WA where all voting is done by mail, the signature is checked. Questionable ones result in contacting the voter to verify. Ballots must be kept for a certain time period but I forget exactly what.

"Mail-based voting systems today are far less risky than most polling place elections, precisely because they distribute ballots (and electoral risk) in such a decentralized way. To have any reasonable chance of success, an organized effort to defraud a mail-based system and its safeguards must involve hundreds (if not thousands) of separate acts, all of them individual felonies, that must both occur and go undetected to have any chance of success.

Contrast that to the risks inherent in polling place elections that increasingly rely on direct-recording electronic (DRE) voting systems and proprietary software systems that both record and tally votes. A single successful software hack potentially could affect thousands of votes. It’s the difference between "retail" fraud and "wholesale" fraud."
https://washingtonmonthly.com/2016/0...-vote-by-mail/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2018, 03:47 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,504,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
LOL!

Don't be ridiculous. Of course she did.

Most mail-in voters are soldiers, citizens living overseas, and the elderly (except in Washington, where all votes are mail-in) and for most of those groups, the votes skew Republican.
How often is this happening? I bet more than 1

https://twitter.com/ScottPresler/sta...ot-in-the-mail

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/201...t-in-the-mail/
BREAKING: Illegal ballot allegedly sent to former Florida resident! In Minnesota!

Old 11-12-2018, 04:26 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,611,972 times
We had them in Arizona for the years I lived there. No fraud or discussion of fraud any time I ever voted.

Old 11-12-2018, 04:29 PM

41,878 posts, read 74,938,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
After this, I'm seriously reconsidering if Hillary won the popular vote.
Wait ... I thought it didn't matter because of the Electoral College and all that. Make up your mind.

Old 11-12-2018, 04:45 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,819,762 times
Quote:
You just figured out that most of the fraud (which is a very small amount) is done through absentee ballots?

You really cannot NOT allow it. Unless you want to set up voting booths for soldiers and citizens overseas.
Or counties encouraging it due to large populations where they may vote after a race is called because they have to take everyone in the queue.

Old 11-12-2018, 04:55 PM

13,562 posts, read 10,316,598 times
Quote:
LOL!

Don't be ridiculous. Of course she did.

Most mail-in voters are soldiers, citizens living overseas, and the elderly (except in Washington, where all votes are mail-in) and for most of those groups, the votes skew Republican.
Oregon is all vote by mail.

Old 11-12-2018, 05:12 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,316,143 times
Colorado is vote by mail, and fraud is extremely rare. My entire family registered at the DMV on the day we each applied for a Colorado driver's license. Ballots are mailed to the home address of record for each voter and can be returned to a secure collection box at any time prior up to the evening of election night or mailed in using the included envelope. (This is not widely known, but a lack of postage will not keep one's ballot from being counted. It will be delivered regardless.) My county offers Ballot Trace, so voters can track their individual ballots all the way from the time they are mailed to the moment they are received by County Elections. Vote by mail is a great system, and I wish more states would adopt it because it's easy and, most importantly, convenient, which improves voter participation.

Old 11-12-2018, 05:19 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,081,224 times
I can see why people would like the process but it’s not a good thing for border states . Just makes fraud easier.

Old 11-12-2018, 05:20 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,316,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTwo View Post
I can see why people would like the process but it’s not a good thing for border states . Just makes fraud easier.
How so?

Old 11-12-2018, 05:37 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,288,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
We had them in Arizona for the years I lived there. No fraud or discussion of fraud any time I ever voted.
Ive always mailed my ballots in ever since I lived here in AZ, and they have always sent me a voting report card recording my votes over the years.

I think the future will be voting online. States should set up a highly encrypted secure website, where you put your social security and drivers license number etc. Your info gets ran in a database to assure you're allowed to vote. I think it would be more convenient, accurate, safer and would almost eliminate voter fraud.

Much like how you can log into Social Security website to view past earnings and retirement info. But add voting in there, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies