Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2018, 07:17 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,909,886 times

Advertisements

Your first reaction might be, "Huh?" Why in the midst of this horrible epidemic of drug deaths would the FDA approve a brand new opiate, Dsuvia that is 1000x's more powerful than morphine and 10x's more powerful than Fentanyl, a drug that is the chief cause of all the OD deaths you've been hearing about?

Well, the reasons become quite clear after less than a minute of reading. Dsuvia was not approved for civilian use. It was approved for the battlefield so that soldiers in severe pain after an IED or being shot would have something that would get right to the pain.

I sense something odd about this. Vets in equally horrible pain from trauma inflicted on the same battlefield are being cut off from opiates by the VA same as civilians now and are committing suicide at the rate of 22 per day at last count. But soldiers who fight our wars get Cadillac treatment for their wounds. Is this strange or is it me?

Quote:
Dr. Marc Siegel: Why is the FDA approving a powerful new synthetic opioid in the midst of a crisis? Here’s why
https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/dr-m...isis-heres-why
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2018, 07:21 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,620,307 times
umm..what "crisis"?

The only crisis I see is rank stupidity in people overdosing by their own actions

Old 11-12-2018, 07:46 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,460,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17
umm..what "crisis"?

The only crisis I see is rank stupidity in people overdosing by their own actions
The opiate crisis is a "uniquely American problem" caused largely by the for-profit health insurance industry:

"The epidemic has been described as a "uniquely American problem".[92][93] The structure of the US healthcare system, in which people not qualifying for government programs are required to obtain private insurance, favors prescribing drugs over expensive therapies. According to Professor Judith Feinberg from the West Virginia University School of Medicine, "Most insurance, especially for poor people, won't pay for anything but a pill."[94]

Prescription rates for opioids in the US are 40 percent higher than the rate in other developed countries such as Germany or Canada.[95] Josef Stehlik, medical director of the Heart Transplant Program at the University of Utah elaborated: "Opioids are treated differently here. First, there’s much less prescription of opioids for pain in Europe, so there’s less chance of addiction from people who started opioid use in a legal, medical way. Second, in many but not all European countries, the rate of illicit opioid use is either stagnant or decreasing."[9

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opioid_epidemic

Old 11-12-2018, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
umm..what "crisis"?

Well, the FDA, the DEA, the CDC, governors in all 50 states, Congress and the news media ala NBC's "One Nation Overdosed" series are calling it a "crisis". I agree in substance with you. I'd rather see a worthless dopehead off himself than legitimate pain patients who have done nothing other than follow their doctor's instructions to the letter on using the pain meds.

Old 11-12-2018, 08:12 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,359,835 times
The opioid issue is complex. I have a relative who has been in debilitating pain due to progressive spinal disease over the past forty years. Her back has become twisted beyond recognition and a myriad of surgeries and treatments have not improved matters. She is confined to a wheelchair and needs round-the-clock care. Her only relief comes from powerful opioids administered from an implanted pump. Without them, she would scream in pain. While she is most definitely an addict, what would be the purpose in cutting her off? She will never recover, but the medications at least give her some minimally comfortable moments each day in the midst of her misery.

Old 11-12-2018, 08:29 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,149,450 times
Might be of use in hospice situations. The problem isn’t the opiates, the problem is the way opiates are over prescribed. I am glad laws are now being created to curtail the docs that had been handing out pills like candy.

Old 11-12-2018, 08:36 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,516,076 times
So? It'd still take an act of Congress for me to be prescribed pain meds for the pain in my foot and amp. Meanwhile, Bubba over on the Mill Hill will be able to get his high. I have pretty constant pain and no one will write me a script for any serious pain killer. Screw Bubba.

Old 11-12-2018, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
The opioid issue is complex. I have a relative who has been in debilitating pain due to progressive spinal disease over the past forty years. Her back has become twisted beyond recognition and a myriad of surgeries and treatments have not improved matters. She is confined to a wheelchair and needs round-the-clock care. Her only relief comes from powerful opioids administered from an implanted pump. Without them, she would scream in pain. While she is most definitely an addict, what would be the purpose in cutting her off? She will never recover, but the medications at least give her some minimally comfortable moments each day in the midst of her misery.
So you see, random, because you see first-hand the devastating effects of a smashed body and all the pain that goes along with it you can be sympathetic to the plight that millions of chronic pain patients are in suffering all this pain and yet are being cut off cold turkey in most cases by doctors who are so terrified by the DEA of losing their license and livelihood that one day a pain victim gets a script for oxy and the next month the doctor says, "No more. I'm not writing anymore scripts for pain meds. You're on your own." Likely that doctor got a call from the DEA warning him he's writing too much pain medication and in most cases now a bottle of 30 10-mg oxys would be too much. Put another way, the DEA doesn't want doctors writing ANY pain meds for ANYONE no matter how much pain they are in. This is why suicides among CPP's are skyrocketing. Ask your relation if she's thought of suicide. Chances are she'll say yes she has.

For some reason many people around here are totally unsympathetic to pain patients. They think it's the pain patients that caused the opiate crisis. Nothing could be further from the truth. As you say it's an extremely complex issue and we could justifiably say that Big Pharma, doctors, cartels, the FDA, the CDC and a half-dozen other people caused the opioid problem but pain patients are at the bottom of the list responsibility-wise. All they did was take the meds exactly as directed. Wasn't their fault they ended up in horrible pain but they are suffering the consequences for idiot dopeheads' irresponsibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies