Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 07:33 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
That was atrocious. The NRA has been completely silent.
There are tens of thousands of shootings a year. Should NRA have a comment for all of them?

( I am not a gun owner and have no horse in this race)

Old 11-14-2018, 07:38 PM

37,108 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Legislation is not the topic of this thread.

Here’s a thought though, one that has no doubt occurred to the NRA: more exposure of gun injuries will certainly color public perception of gun use.
Perhaps people will better police themselves as a result.
Then what is the point of the thread?

Do you really think criminals will stop being criminals based on doctors taking pictures?

Old 11-14-2018, 07:54 PM

50,308 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by what'd i miss View Post
In this instance, Doctors if you please..

NRA would have everyone believe being shot through the body with a gun is basically a Gunsmoke moment.

Doctors saved many lives during the Tobacco wars by bringing attention to the damage to the body from smoking. So will go the way of guns. All it takes is a nice class action lawsuit of such a design that gun manufacturers will have to raise prices so high and have double down protections it will be affordable to the local derelict .
Get rid of the Trump Republicans and we re way on our way to a better life for all in America.

May take 100 years, but stay the course, stop Republican theft of taxpayer money for personal use, limit all terms in government( get rid of a 15 freeking term Rohrbacher the russian pocket man)...serve your two or three terms and back into the work force ya go. Same health care, same retirement, same employment precarious ness we all live by. Make the lawmakers uncomfortable, too. They re in their position to make things better for themselves..once they are on the outside with all of us.
Until then, nothing will change.
What'd you miss? FOPA. In 100 years from now there will probably be a million firearms in America but we will change to match it. No more gun free zones. No more large public gatherings without armed security. Bring back public executions for offenders.

Old 11-14-2018, 08:06 PM

408 posts, read 215,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Legislation is not the topic of this thread.

You're absolutely correct but that doesn't mean you are in any way "right" because this thread has nothing to do with the NRA's statement or the focus thereof.

The NRA's statement had EVERYTHING to do with legislation as it was new comprehensive legislation proposed by the American College Of Physicians in their new policy paper.

That the self-aggrandizing doctors missed that and made it all about them and their (uncontested) commitment, their (uncontested) level of care and their (uncontested) concern for their patients and the public at large . . . but ignored the real topic, doesn't lead us to any kind of resolution.

If you really, really, REALLY want to be daring, perhaps you should read the NRA's full statement that the tweet links to. I don't expect you to, I understand you have zero interest in actually understanding the topic but here is the link, just in case anyone else might want to leave the emotional hyperbole behind and have a basic knowledge of what the real topic is . . . (sorry it isn't as sexy as blood soaked scrubs and ER floors):

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2018...ntrol-policies

Old 11-14-2018, 10:49 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Adam Lanza's guns were legally obtained. 20 6 year olds dead. It actually seems like guns used in many mass shootings were legally obtained. Parkland, Vegas, Pulse Nightclub. There are way too many to count and individually go through but those were off the top of my head - all legally purchased in those cases, including Sandy Hook obviously. Dozens and dozens of people dead because of legal guns.

Such a compelling argument, though, wow.
Which was pretty much my point.

Most of the guns used in shootings that don't involve some criminals shooting at each other, gangland style, ARE legally obtained weapons.

So, all the arguments in the world about how ALL the gun owners are law-abiding are lies.

Sure, most of them are, but ALL of them are not and someone's range buddy who has been a responsible, law-abiding citizen for years could suddenly go on a rampage.

Then, he would no longer be "law-abiding," yet the guns he used to kill people were legally obtained.

Old 11-14-2018, 10:51 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrw-500 View Post
Now, I wonder if the guns then gangs members used (and still use) in Chicago, Compton, etc.... who kill each others are legal?

Btw, when a cop killed someone. The blame goes on the cop instead of the gun as shown in this meme.
https://imgflip.com/i/24xfwn

While some memes put the dilemma between gun control and police brutality but that's another story.
https://knowyourmeme.com/photos/1066088-daily-struggle
https://imgflip.com/i/1x8fwd
Does it really matter what sort of guns gang members use to kill each other or how they obtained them? Criminals are gonna criminal, man.

Your average shooting victim who is NOT a gang member is killed by a legally-obtained firearm in the vast majority of cases.

Old 11-15-2018, 12:54 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,596,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Why would the NRA have anything to do with those? They only promote safe handling of guns.
Really?

Tell us, which last safe storage law did they promote and be in favor of? Which last licensing law did they promote and be in favor of? Any?

Old 11-15-2018, 03:38 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,330,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
The NRA and doctors...not sure which group is worse for humanity.
If you get shot, don't let doctors work on you...show up to the local nra office instead!

Old 11-15-2018, 04:18 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,498,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Which was pretty much my point.

Most of the guns used in shootings that don't involve some criminals shooting at each other, gangland style, ARE legally obtained weapons.

So, all the arguments in the world about how ALL the gun owners are law-abiding are lies.

Sure, most of them are, but ALL of them are not and someone's range buddy who has been a responsible, law-abiding citizen for years could suddenly go on a rampage.

Then, he would no longer be "law-abiding," yet the guns he used to kill people were legally obtained.
Okay. So, you're in agreement, that a statistical minority, the legally acquired turned rampage/homicidal scumbag is a statistical minority.
How does that justify the anti gun sentiment and proposals that will affect the law abiding? Why continue to focus on the implement then?

Wouldn't you want to focus on Motive, Incentive, Intent, enabling outliers?
Why double down on the focal point being the implement?

2 examples here in Florida.
Pulse.
Parkland.
Enabling outliers were-FBI and Promise Program.
The Bureau dropped the ball on both. My local gun store reported the pulse shooter, yet, he wasn't detained nor put on a prohibited to purchase list for a minimum of say 1 year.
Parkland scumbags online presence was alerted to the FBI.
Then there's the fact he was protected by the Promise Program. 33 times in the year leading up to his heinous attack, police had been to that scumbags house, and once for throwing his mother into a wall. Yet... never Baker Acted. Never charged with a Domestic Violence? Both of which would have prohibited that scumbag from being able to legally purchase and keep firearms. Yet, the Promise Program circumvented laws which would have prohibited him from acquiring a firearm.

There's laws already on the books meant to address these statistical minorities from acquiring weapons, to carry out murderous deeds at both state and federal levels.

Some say less guns = less violence. (That's stating the inanimate object is responsible)

Some say more guns = less violence. (That's stating the people are responsible for their actions and not the inanimate object)

I go further than saying it is the more guns = less violence.
I say there's a Motive. An incentive. An intent. And enabling outliers that circumvent laws on the books at state and federal levels.
Politicians aren't going to address those 3, 4 things, I don't care what side of the aisle they're on. The left will howl it's the firearms. Access to firearms. Avoiding the end users Motive Incentive Intent Enabling outliers like it's a California wild fire.
The right will fight all propositions for gun control because of it. Will they say anything about Motive Incentive Intent Enabling Outliers?
Maybe. That's part of why I joined the RPOF to take the fight to the Rinos and neocons that comprise the party.

All I'm saying is remove the evils Motive, Incentive, Intent, Enabling Outliers.
Make those scumbags be the ones calling for more gun control. Not you. Not anyone else. We can fix the problem. Liberal do gooders and busy bodies don't want to hear it because it's not going to go their way and fit their agenda. Rinos and neocons don't want to hear it for it doesn't further a police state or fit their agenda.

Or we can continue to go at each other's throats in who's right who's wrong because guns.

Old 11-15-2018, 05:12 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,092,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I think a doctor is someone infinitely qualified to speak to the damage done to people by guns.

Why's the NRA attacking doctors? Doesn't fit with their "guns are harmless" narrative?

And auto body shop guys are infinitely qualified to speak to the damage done to cars when they crash.

That doesn't make them any type of authority on the cause of those crashes or vehiclular traffic law.

And treating gunshots doesn't make doctors any type of authority on the causes of gun related violence or the 2nd amendment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies