Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: how much capital should House dems spend on investigating Trump?
liberal: all investigations, all the time. 8 8.51%
liberal: strictly limited investigations. 7 7.45%
liberal: little or no investigations. 4 4.26%
conservative: all investigations, all the time. 9 9.57%
conservative: strictly limited investigations. 2 2.13%
conservative: little or no investigations. 18 19.15%
independent: all investigations, all the time. 14 14.89%
independent: strictly limited investigations. 5 5.32%
independent: little or no investigations. 23 24.47%
other (please explain below). 4 4.26%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 04:50 PM

11,404 posts, read 4,087,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I think the Dems realize they have to legislate as well. They don't want to look like they're just going after Trump all the time. That will not play well for 2020.
I agree, which is why I said I would only like to see three specific investigations into Trump & his administration to start off with. Very narrow in scope, just just open-ended investigations into any and everything. Dems should NOT bombard the Trump WH with dozens of investigations, that makes them look silly.

I'm quite sure that House Dems can both investigate Donald Trump AND work with him to legislate.

The real question is, if he is being investigated, will Donald Trump be able to compartmentalize like a mature adult and still work with dems to get things done for the American people, even though they're investigating him? Or will he just shutdown and whine that Dems are investigating him so he refuses to work with them on anything? We will find out soon enough come January.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2018, 06:57 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,011,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
What? Hesitate to investigate possible crimes because of how the alleged criminal might react?? Can you imagine our justice system if it worked that way? We always hear about how strong and fearless the gun-toting law and order reps are, but then I read more and more things like this.
Not a good comparison. First of all, we are not talking about crimes by Trump. Even Comey told Trump that was not the case. Secondly, an accused criminal does not have the office of the presidency at his disposal. If you want to start a war of investigations against Trump, better have a watertight case in advance, or be prepared for a stinkload of blowback. Very old proverb says something like, 'if you strike at the king, better kill him with the first blow.'

Old 11-14-2018, 07:14 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,011,762 times
I was just thinking yesterday, I wonder if all the noise about investigations and impeachments could be just a ploy by Democrats to create leverage for themselves. I.e. you do x for us, and we'll drop investigation y. If so that would be brilliant.

I have to wonder if Rep. Nadler is really dumb enough to have a phone conversation about impeachment on a train within earshot of a well-known conservative writer. Confidentiality is tactics 101. Maybe it is all just a set-up. I think Pelosi is smart enough to have thought of something like this.

Old 11-14-2018, 07:19 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Translation to plain English:

I am a member of the only publick that matters. I am not tired of having my money flushed down the toilet.

(show me a voting machine that was thrown by Russians and I will rescind this post)
Currently based on the seizures from Manafort, and the costs we know of, there is every reason to believe that Muellers investigation was actually a net profit for taxpayers.

Old 11-14-2018, 07:20 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
I was just thinking yesterday, I wonder if all the noise about investigations and impeachments could be just a ploy by Democrats to create leverage for themselves. I.e. you do x for us, and we'll drop investigation y. If so that would be brilliant.

I have to wonder if Rep. Nadler is really dumb enough to have a phone conversation about impeachment on a train within earshot of a well-known conservative writer. Confidentiality is tactics 101. Maybe it is all just a set-up. I think Pelosi is smart enough to have thought of something like this.

You must have missed Trumps presser. He basically offered bipartisan deals for the democrats if they wouldnt investigate him. Im not kidding at all. It was insanely corrupt.

Old 11-14-2018, 07:25 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
Not a good comparison. First of all, we are not talking about crimes by Trump. Even Comey told Trump that was not the case. Secondly, an accused criminal does not have the office of the presidency at his disposal. If you want to start a war of investigations against Trump, better have a watertight case in advance, or be prepared for a stinkload of blowback. Very old proverb says something like, 'if you strike at the king, better kill him with the first blow.'
This is not Comey's investigation so what he said prior to the investigation beginning has no bearing on what Mueller has found. So there is no basis for your assumption that there are no crimes by Trump. Most legally informed observers seem to feel that just from what we know publicly, the elements of the crime of obstruction are present.

And your "very old proverb" is a line from the TV show The Wire. "When you come at the king, you'd best not miss." But we don't have kings in this country, regardless of what Trump might believe. He is not immune to investigation and he won't be immune to criminal prosecution - it's possible it might be deferred while he's in office but that's not permanent immunity. And it's possible there could be criminal charges completely unrelated to his campaign and presidency, such as fraud committed by his charities. He's already had to pay millions and millions to settle civil fraud cases, so not too big a stretch to think that he didn't draw the line between that and criminal fraud.

Old 11-14-2018, 07:49 PM

25,447 posts, read 9,809,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
I agree, which is why I said I would only like to see three specific investigations into Trump & his administration to start off with. Very narrow in scope, just just open-ended investigations into any and everything. Dems should NOT bombard the Trump WH with dozens of investigations, that makes them look silly.

I'm quite sure that House Dems can both investigate Donald Trump AND work with him to legislate.

The real question is, if he is being investigated, will Donald Trump be able to compartmentalize like a mature adult and still work with dems to get things done for the American people, even though they're investigating him? Or will he just shutdown and whine that Dems are investigating him so he refuses to work with them on anything? We will find out soon enough come January.
I don't think he's capable, but we'll see.

Old 11-14-2018, 08:01 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,370,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Investigate Trump for what?
Doesn't matter, they'll make things up after every "investigation" (aka witch hunt) fails just like they've failed for the last 2 years. Their only reason is America put him in the WH and not Hillary. Bitter, spoiled, entitled losers who can't accept that half of America doesn't want what they're shoveling.

Old 11-14-2018, 08:08 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,409,676 times
Quote:
We now face a similar situation as in 2006, when Democrats won the US House, but with W. Bush still in the White House. Nancy Pelosi, then as now, was taking over as Speaker. There were numerous calls for investigations of Bush. There were some, but for the most part Pelosi resisted. I think she wanted to get things done. She flatly took impeachment off the table.

https://www.politico.com/story/2007/...or-bush-004137

There has been much talk of investigating Trump. Prospective judiciary chair Jerrorld Nadler was overheard talking about his plans on the train (not very circumspect of him).

If I'm Pelosi I would again be hesitant to launch a war of investigations, especially considering who is President, and what his reaction might be. By taking the House, Democrats have finally gained some leverage that they could use to get desired concessions. If House Democrats launch a war, that is thrown away. What do you think?
For the country, the best would be if the democrats focus on cooperating with Trump to secure the border, bring jobs back from overseas, and rework trade deals.

But that is unlikely, so the best politically is as many investigations as possible. Maxine Waters and Nancy Pelosi on TV non-stop is the best way to turn off independents from the Democrats.

Old 11-14-2018, 08:23 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Til they either find trump innocent or guilty.. If he's got nothing to hide, why worry?
Only because all the investigations were a monumental waste of time and money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies