Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 07:26 AM

5,070 posts, read 2,279,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
So, why is the word woman in quotes?
I posted this earlier in the thread. The designer that works with Serena uses quotes as his "thing". (See what I did there?) One of her tennis outfits says "Logo" above the Nike swoosh, and the shoes he designed for her say "Air" on the side. For the people who weren't aware of this (me, among others), they added the asterisk, then put more info at the bottom of the page.

This is just more people getting hyped up about nothing. Serena is good with it, and that's what matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2018, 08:24 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
I posted this earlier in the thread. The designer that works with Serena uses quotes as his "thing". (See what I did there?) One of her tennis outfits says "Logo" above the Nike swoosh, and the shoes he designed for her say "Air" on the side. For the people who weren't aware of this (me, among others), they added the asterisk, then put more info at the bottom of the page.

This is just more people getting hyped up about nothing. Serena is good with it, and that's what matters.
Exactly. It was HER choice to appear on the cover in that photo. Good for her. She looks great! Everyone else, mind your own business. Don't like the photo? Don't buy the issue. Problem solved.

Old 11-14-2018, 09:30 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Everything on Twitter seems to ignite controversy, but ... To me, the quotes around woman is insulting - not just to Serena Williams (of whom I am no big fan), but to all women. If I were Ms. Williams, I'd be looking for a new stylist, or whatever the hell he is.

Old 11-14-2018, 09:34 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,508,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post

Rofl. I’m afraid you’ll need to come back and cut & paste this post to every page of this thread. People have become better typists than they are readers.

Old 11-14-2018, 11:37 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,102,165 times
It's insulting to have woman in quotation marks because ignorant people are always commenting on her looks, calling her manly or whatever. It's like they don't really believe she is a woman so they put the quotation marks around it.

Old 11-14-2018, 11:42 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
Looks great for a "woman"*.
i was wondering about the quotes too. seems to imply ... something.

Old 11-14-2018, 11:42 AM

2,362 posts, read 778,305 times
It's so weird they'd put woman in square quotes, especially considering her history as an athlete and the fact that the cover of GQ would be vetted by many intelligent people. I feel this was not accidental but intentional. They wanted to create controversy to sell more magazines. They know what they're doing.

Old 11-14-2018, 12:27 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,273,201 times
why is she GQ woman of the year? after her last meltdown that's like giving Dennis Rodman when he was getting suspended and ejected from NBA Games in the 90's "man of the year".

Old 11-14-2018, 12:49 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Cough...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Publicity_stunt

Old 11-14-2018, 03:24 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
Quote:

As the left-wing GQ.

As for SW, at least this outfit isn't as bad as her usual tennis court getups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies