Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 07:06 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
My husband, who did this for over 30 years, wants to know how this is treating them like crap. Really, he does, because this is a normal environment for training or deployments. Did you have these concerns when they lived like this while providing aid in Haiti or any of the other places they have gone to provide humanitarian aid?
If they have to live like that, I understand. But why do they have to live like that when they are on their home turf? What's the point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2018, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
They are on deployment, and personnel who are deployed don't usually have a lot of creature comforts other than ration packs and a sleeping bag.
For what reason though? Especially when they are in their own damned country...

Old 11-14-2018, 07:08 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Lightbulb Do "people" not understand what it means to be in the military?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
One of my FB friends posted this:
https://www.axios.com/american-troop...606cde3aa.html

No hot meals? No electricity?

So?

I recall an Army training manual of the 70s, I think it was for desert warfare, that weighed hot meals against the other. Of where to consider the soldier who gets something to eat and then gets some hours of sleep against that of them being woken up at midnight to unload the food transport when it rolls in.

As it was said in the 70s, "We never promised you a rose garden".
This "people" certainly has no idea what military service is like.

Furthermore, he has no concept of what the military's role is.

<hint> They're not pawns to be moved around at his political whim.

Old 11-14-2018, 07:13 AM

39,208 posts, read 27,575,665 times
According to the article,

Troops at the border are sleeping in tents that house 20 soldiers and have no electricity or air conditioning, with some suffering heat exhaustion within days of starting the mission. There's no mess hall — only pre-made "Ready-to-Eat" meals — and the only phone chargers available are attached to "a few generators that power spotlights around the living area."

lol

Troops do not sleep in tents? electricity and air conditioning should be provided?

There should be a mess hall?

MRE is abuse now?

no wonder some of the bleeding hearts people believe military benefits are so great.

Old 11-14-2018, 07:14 AM

27,141 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
For what reason though? Especially when they are in their own damned country...
They are being deployed to defend the border from what I am led to believe.

Deployments, Exercises and Training often means uncomfortable conditions even in your own country.

Old 11-14-2018, 07:14 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,111,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
My husband, who did this for over 30 years, wants to know how this is treating them like crap. Really, he does, because this is a normal environment for training or deployments. Did you have these concerns when they lived like this while providing aid in Haiti or any of the other places they have gone to provide humanitarian aid?
I get that as my dad is retired military. But I guess I'd be pissed if I felt like he was sent there just to boost the vote of the president. Because that's what this feels like. Especially hate the fact that the person deploying them is a draft dodger.

But I know it's a job and they suck it up. More power to them.

Old 11-14-2018, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
According to the article,

Troops at the border are sleeping in tents that house 20 soldiers and have no electricity or air conditioning, with some suffering heat exhaustion within days of starting the mission. There's no mess hall — only pre-made "Ready-to-Eat" meals — and the only phone chargers available are attached to "a few generators that power spotlights around the living area."

lol

Troops do not sleep in tents? electricity and air conditioning should be provided?

There should be a mess hall?

MRE is abuse now?

no wonder some of the bleeding hearts people believe military benefits are so great.
Sounds like Joe Arapaio's tent cities.

Excellent way to treat the people who sign their lives over to the US government. We should be so very proud.

Old 11-14-2018, 07:15 AM

Quote:

Deployments, Exercises and Training often means uncomfortable conditions even in your own country.
Military bases are usually pretty nice. However, like you said, deployments, exercises and training can be very exhausting and uncomfortable is usually the understatement.

Old 11-14-2018, 07:16 AM

Quote:

Training...I get that. Gotta get used to that kind of thing.

Exercises...I get that too.

Deployment within your own country's borders? Getting heat stroke? Only having MREs? Again, what is the end game here?

Old 11-14-2018, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Training...I get that. Gotta get used to that kind of thing.

Exercises...I get that too.

Deployment within your own country's borders? Getting heat stroke? Only having MREs? Again, what is the end game here?
Deployment to ME is much worse than this.

I really don't know what difference does it make if it is your own country's border or another country. Deployment is deployment.

I remember the care package I sent to them a while back: coffee, baby wipes, a lot of cotton socks, batteries, etc

I don't want to turn this thread into a "should we send troop to the mexican border" debate, but deployment is deployment. It is laughable to believe the government should build them a mess hall instead of giving them MRE.

Like I said earlier, no wonder many of these bleeding hearts type believe their military benefits are all that great. The expectation is way too high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies