Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 06:14 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times

Advertisements

One of my FB friends posted this:
https://www.axios.com/american-troop...606cde3aa.html

No hot meals? No electricity?

So?

I recall an Army training manual of the 70s, I think it was for desert warfare, that weighed hot meals against the other. Of where to consider the soldier who gets something to eat and then gets some hours of sleep against that of them being woken up at midnight to unload the food transport when it rolls in.

As it was said in the 70s, "We never promised you a rose garden".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2018, 06:27 AM

13,692 posts, read 9,009,247 times
True, I guess. But, after all, our military is not in some far-flung desert overseas; they are in Texas, along the border, putting up barbed wire and providing logistic support.

Indeed, I read that from one encampment they could literally see a Whataburger in the distance, but are not allowed to drive in and pick up any food.

A very Happy Thanksgiving to them all.

Old 11-14-2018, 06:29 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post

So?

I recall an Army training manual of the 70s, I think it was for desert warfare, that weighed hot meals against the other. Of where to consider the soldier who gets something to eat and then gets some hours of sleep against that of them being woken up at midnight to unload the food transport when it rolls in.

What is the purpose of treating men and women who signed their very lives over to the government like crap?

Old 11-14-2018, 06:36 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Uhm....Good grief. My husband is still laughing after reading that. It is no different than when they attend training in Fort Irwin or Fort Polk, both places within the United States and both places with American food establishments within easy reach. Actually, it’s a better living situation. Living without the comforts of modern society when needed is part of their job description.

These people totally need to find something else to whine about or use as an example of how hideous Trump is.

Old 11-14-2018, 06:36 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,844,795 times
Our military deserves the very best that is possible to provide in whatever condition they are in at any moment.

They are trained for rough conditions. They know what they are getting into and they are our heros.

That said, there will always be whiners and complainers. It's mainly the news reporters that do so, not the soldiers.

Old 11-14-2018, 06:39 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
What is the purpose of treating men and women who signed their very lives over to the government like crap?
My husband, who did this for over 30 years, wants to know how this is treating them like crap. Really, he does, because this is a normal environment for training or deployments. Did you have these concerns when they lived like this while providing aid in Haiti or any of the other places they have gone to provide humanitarian aid?

Old 11-14-2018, 06:39 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,855 times
All to motivate a political base. Seems worth it.

Old 11-14-2018, 07:02 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
I've been called a fake military supporter on this forum by a poster simply because I said military is not a day care center. For the most part, the combat troops should be single men's game.

If "they" (the media and politicians) want to use this "story" to show Trump administration does not really care about the troop, there is really nothing else you can say.

"Oh, lookie lookie, Trump sent OUR service members to Mexican border and they don't have water and electricity." lol This is what "they" want you to believe.

There is nothing you can do or say.

Old 11-14-2018, 07:04 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Dont enlist, its a bad deal for everyone.
Taxpayers are forced to pay for your rehabilitation, funeral,housing, meals, clothing education, weapon, etc.while you are sent to a country that you have no business in and besides trespassing you may be tasked with killing the people who rightfully belong there (including women and children). In the process you yourself may be killed, maimed for life, acquire PTSD, venereal diseases, and/or a drug/alcohol addiction. All of your aftercare will be subject to political wrangling within underfunded agencies staffed with bureaucrats just going through the motions.
And if you're a christian,realize you will be tasked by the US Federal Caesar to break almost every one of your gods ten commandments.
On the plus side friends, family and strangers will blindly thank you for your service in airports,street corners,on social media, etc. and you will qualify for a free bowl of soup on veterans day at most any restaurant chain.
Its all for a big fat nothing, in spite of what the recruitment poster depicts.

Last edited by Frank DeForrest; 11-14-2018 at 07:14 AM..

Old 11-14-2018, 07:04 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,180 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post

So?

They are on deployment, and personnel who are deployed don't usually have a lot of creature comforts other than ration packs and a sleeping bag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies