Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 11:29 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,910,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
https://news4sanantonio.com/news/loc...xas-11-14-2018

The Left assured us this wall was never going to happen. Yet here we are with 2 contracts awarded and construction to begin in February

Good to see I no longer have to depend on “hope and change” to see results.
Actually they're not even building a wall along these 8 miles. They're installing fence posts and mowing the grass. And it's going to cost us $167 million. I thought Republicans were the party of financial conservatism and less government interference. What say you, OP? $167 million is pretty spendy for post hole diggers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2018, 11:30 AM

48,440 posts, read 34,618,603 times
If a wall is the only solution, then why are they building a fence?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-14-2018, 11:30 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,482,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
As long as those who enter illegally can make $$$ to send home, do you really believe a wall will stop them?
No. But the wall serves as an excellent deterrent that at least funnels the foot traffic down to fewer, more easy-to-reach areas for CBP that can be far better protected. It’s helping the problem.

I’m a firm supporter of Everify as well. It’s way past time to make it a federal mandate.

Old 11-14-2018, 11:35 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,066,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Because Trump couldn't get the estimated $12-20 BILLION that he was going to need to build his "great big beautiful wall," so he settled for a fence. And is pretending that's a "win."

Old 11-14-2018, 11:36 AM

68,299 posts, read 54,205,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
No. But the wall serves as an excellent deterrent that at least funnels the foot traffic down to fewer, more easy-to-reach areas for CBP that can be far better protected. It’s helping the problem.

I’m a firm supporter of Everify as well. It’s way past time to make it a federal mandate.

I agree, but I also believe cracking down on those who hire illegals would be less costly and more effective in stopping illegals. NO wall's going to stop things like the drug cartels where the $$$ is big enough to allow them to buy cargo aircraft for one flight use. And given we have satellites that can read a license plate from 22,000 miles away I find it near impossible to believe we couldn't stop a lot of this if we really wanted to.

Old 11-14-2018, 11:37 AM

68,299 posts, read 54,205,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

Anyone check and see if there's s fence company inside Trump Inc.?

Old 11-14-2018, 11:41 AM

23,823 posts, read 14,958,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Actually they're not even building a wall along these 8 miles. They're installing fence posts and mowing the grass. And it's going to cost us $167 million. I thought Republicans were the party of financial conservatism and less government interference. What say you, OP? $167 million is pretty spendy for post hole diggers.
Damn. And I thought that $100 a post I paid for 12 foot 4x4s four feet into the ground in concrete was high.

The article said nothing about all those lawsuit filed when GWB was POTUS being settled.

If the dopers can put in tunnels undetected under the San Diego wall, they will figure a way around 8 miles.

Old 11-14-2018, 11:43 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,482,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I agree, but I also believe cracking down on those who hire illegals would be less costly and more effective in stopping illegals. NO wall's going to stop things like the drug cartels where the $$$ is big enough to allow them to buy cargo aircraft for one flight use. And given we have satellites that can read a license plate from 22,000 miles away I find it near impossible to believe we couldn't stop a lot of this if we really wanted to.
Yea. I often wonder just how badly both parties want to end this war. Everify would go so far in helping to stem the flow. But I do also believe in the Wall. It’s the only way down in that remote desert full of canyons, washes, arroyos, etc. to choke off uncontrolled access. It forces migrants to redirect their course, leading them to more populated areas where the resources of the CBP are more effective in capture.

The problem is definitely past the border, just as you said. I live in Austin and we are beginning to see heavy cartel activity here. Lots of bodies beginning to appear. Perhaps that’s why residents of border states like me are a little more passionate about the problem. It’s beginning to affect our quality of life ... 200 miles from the damn border.

Old 11-14-2018, 11:45 AM

23,823 posts, read 14,958,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
I live in Texas and see firsthand the effect of illegal migration. I hate, hate, hate that huge ugly brown wall, but I respect its intended purpose and I am happy it’s there. I support the expansion.
Who built half the new houses in Texas? Ever go to a Pappas restaurant? How about buying Shipley donuts? I could go on and on. Texans business owners love illegals. Looks like their customers do too.

Old 11-14-2018, 11:45 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,497,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
https://news4sanantonio.com/news/loc...xas-11-14-2018

The Left assured us this wall was never going to happen. Yet here we are with 2 contracts awarded and construction to begin in February

Good to see I no longer have to depend on “hope and change” to see results.
They need to weld a 36" round pipe on the top of the fence in Cali, at the Ocean Edge.
Just welding a huge round pipe to the top of most of these "walls already built would do the trick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies