Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 04:00 PM

6,855 posts, read 2,844,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
They certainly did misconstrue the title, and used incorrect terminology.
Here is a better link as to what exactly is going on with this story.
https://www.tampabay.com/news/educat...ents_172966092

I would agree with the recommendation set forth by the Liberty Counsel as it pertains to all K-12 students everywhere.
"The district should trust parents, respect teachers’ rights and protect the privacy rights of all students, he added in an interview. The solution, Mast suggested, is simple: Offer the transgender student a private space to change and use the restroom, and require parental consent for club participation".

I agree with the bolded. This is a small concession. Yes, it feels isolating sometimes. But this concession respects the dignity and privacy of all involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2018, 04:12 PM

25,713 posts, read 18,788,778 times
If I were a student in that school, I would refuse to take any class that mandated using the locker room. And if anyone squabbled about it, I'd do everything I could to bring up a lawsuit of some sort.

This very nonsense is why I ALWAYS use a stall in the men's bathroom, even if I'm only going there to pick my nose. Public restrooms need to be "nutjob-proofed": rather than having a men's and women's, have a dozen single bathroom stalls/rooms with a locking door on each, a toilet, sink, and mirror. Basically make a stall into a bathroom.

Also, no more locker rooms... single rooms with shower, seat, and mirror. Lockers are out in the main hall where nobody gets naked.

Old 11-15-2018, 04:32 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,658,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Not a single source cited, except the lawyer for the ultra-christian group pushing the lawsuit. - And you guys are the ones that don't trust the NYT, but the Federalist is A-OK.

Maybe it happened like it was described in the article, but I'd like to see a credible source, AND would like to hear the other side to this story. Until then, I don't think anyone can form a fact-based opinion.
I have been a substitute P/E/ teacher in numerous middle schools and I can tell you this is BS. It did not happen as described. Boys do not get undressed in P.E. class and take showers the way I had to 50 years ago. The most they might change is to a pair of gym shorts or to another T-shirt. Supervising a locker-room does not mean that the teacher had to, “knowingly place himself in a position to observe a minor female in the nude or otherwise in a state of undress.”

I've even subbed for middle school swimming classes where the boys had to change into swimming trunks and take a quick shower before they entered the pool. I noticed a line of boys waiting to change in the toilet stalls and a couple changing into their swim suit under a beach towel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Here's the story from the local paper. Not exactly as reported by the Christian group trying to shut the policy down.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/educat...ents_172966092
Thanks for posting a more accurate description of what actually happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The Florida School District is in a very conservative area.

Bruce Jenner/ Caitlyn is a life long Republican and voted for Trump.

Not everything can be viewed through a politician lens.
Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
If I were a student in that school, I would refuse to take any class that mandated using the locker room. And if anyone squabbled about it, I'd do everything I could to bring up a lawsuit of some sort.

This very nonsense is why I ALWAYS use a stall in the men's bathroom, even if I'm only going there to pick my nose. Public restrooms need to be "nutjob-proofed": rather than having a men's and women's, have a dozen single bathroom stalls/rooms with a locking door on each, a toilet, sink, and mirror. Basically make a stall into a bathroom.

Also, no more locker rooms... single rooms with shower, seat, and mirror. Lockers are out in the main hall where nobody gets naked.
These are the males that I'm concerned about.

BTW, no school is mandating using a locker-room. When I'm teaching P.E., I take attendance in the gym. I don't care where you changed or came from. People like you want to turn a non-issue into a controversy.

Old 11-15-2018, 04:47 PM

5,859 posts, read 3,296,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
The teacher is obviously a bigot. And all who are supporting him are bigots!!! Why not just join those Nazi-boys throwing their Nazi salutes to your Orange Fuhrer!!!
Bigot? Are you kidding. Because an adult male does not want to watch a girl change? OMG! Give it up!!

Old 11-15-2018, 04:59 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I am not tracking this. What does finding a skull in the desert have to do with this thread?
A person does not choose if they are male or female, it is a ridiculous notion.

Old 11-15-2018, 05:11 PM

20,378 posts, read 14,651,390 times
I've always felt like, there is a very easy solution to all of this, that would in addition solve a bunch of other problems for other students at the same time.

Renovate all of the bathrooms and locker rooms so that there are no communal nudity areas. Make them a bit more private.

When I was an adolescent girl, I found it horrific that during the most awkward, ugly, anxious, difficult time of my life, I was expected to disrobe and expose myself in the company of other girls. These girls were not my little friends, they were my tormentors. I didn't need to see them naked and I didn't need them to see me naked. At that time of life in particular, none of these kids should have to be nude in front of each other.

And even if it's not about humans with different plumbing, what if the PE teacher "observing" the locker room is gay, maybe closeted, maybe no one knows? Well should it even matter, since NO ONE should be sexualizing children anyhow? What about other kids who are gay and/or bi or pansexual? But more importantly than sex, far more importantly in my opinion, is the sheer meanness of kids. Bullying and other cruelties, kids have always aimed at each other. Kids can be brutal! I think it would be kindest to give them some privacy to change and/or shower if needful. Then we wouldn't have to worry about it, since nobody is seeing anybody naked.

Old 11-15-2018, 05:46 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,504,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I have been a substitute P/E/ teacher in numerous middle schools and I can tell you this is BS. It did not happen as described. Boys do not get undressed in P.E. class and take showers the way I had to 50 years ago. The most they might change is to a pair of gym shorts or to another T-shirt. Supervising a locker-room does not mean that the teacher had to, “knowingly place himself in a position to observe a minor female in the nude or otherwise in a state of undress.”

I've even subbed for middle school swimming classes where the boys had to change into swimming trunks and take a quick shower before they entered the pool. I noticed a line of boys waiting to change in the toilet stalls and a couple changing into their swim suit under a beach towel.

Thanks for posting a more accurate description of what actually happened.

Exactly!

These are the males that I'm concerned about.

BTW, no school is mandating using a locker-room. When I'm teaching P.E., I take attendance in the gym. I don't care where you changed or came from. People like you want to turn a non-issue into a controversy.
Unless you teach in that district or that school, your experience means squat.

The Tampa Bay Times article doesn't conflict with the major point of the 'right wing religious' article. The student asked to use the boy's restroom and locker room and was granted permission. Under the school policy, the teacher could encounter a girl, probably aged 11-14, nude or partially clad while performing the responsibility of supervising or monitoring the locker room.

Old 11-15-2018, 06:18 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,981,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackF View Post
This has got to be one of the most bizarre things I've ever read....this is middle school!!

Pure insanity...life is stranger than fiction.

School Punishes Male Teacher For Refusing To Watch A Naked Girl
Someone needs to punish the board members for allowing this to happen to the teacher. Travesty.

Old 11-15-2018, 06:21 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,735,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
She's 5 years old. It shouldn't matter (to him) if she's a he or a she. Should be no difference. She's a child after-all. In Europe, kids that age can go naked to the beach and sometimes they do.

I'd understand if she was 15, not 5. He should have no sexual attraction to her whatsoever, just like he should have none to the boys. This was him politically grandstanding.
That crack you're smoking is insane.

Old 11-15-2018, 06:22 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,735,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sactown4 View Post
Parents took their young kids to a R rated, gory war movie, with tons of cursing, and violence, and then were put off by some boobs.
Also, they might have never seen boobs before?

Wow. Wow.
True.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies