Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 02:11 PM

8,553 posts, read 10,978,234 times

Advertisements

I am a FIRM believer in NO PARTY AT ALL.
If a person wants to run for public office, they register their intentions in their home state, and their name is placed on the ballot.
No party affiliation, because there would be no party.
People would be voted in on their experience, knowledge, and character, not because they belong to a specific party.

Bob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2018, 02:18 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,411,792 times
No I don't want one party rule.

That's why I hope the GOP jettisons the maniac and becomes a valid choice again for an opposition party to big government overreach.

As it is the GOP are the ones driving us most obviously toward authoritarianism.

Old 11-16-2018, 02:19 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
Essentially, we already have a 'one party rule' in whatever party has the most votes on any issue. Under the status quo, we may as well only have one Dem and one Rep in Washington - and they could simply vote against each other and create gridlock.

This whole notion of 'representation of the people' is archaic in these present times. The only way the politicians can get the other politicians to vote for their interests (so they can get re-elected), is to vote for the interests of other politicians. Where is the actual debate of different issues? or the advice and consent? Those who keep electing these self-serving, do-nothing career politicians are to blame! -

The only possible 'fix' I can see is "term limits" in both the house and senate. But, that would have to be passed by the very politicians who benefit from no term limits!

Old 11-16-2018, 02:29 PM

16,082 posts, read 10,747,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
The Republican head of the RNC in California says they need to distance themselves from the toxic Trump to survive.
I think there's some truth to that. There is a strong anti-Trump sentiment in the country and the Democrats offer the main alternative. But no party is monolithic, as we have seen time and again. Even in a "one party" existence there are divisions and "wings" that struggle for control. In the USA the parties are not so far apart in the first place -- otherwise we would not see people flipping allegiance from one to the other. It is almost like having one-party rule anyway with the difference being personalities more than po!icy and platform.

Old 11-20-2018, 11:20 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,352,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
No.

A multi-party system would be better. No one party could ever represent everyone well.
The problem with a multi party system is that you could end up with a party that 66% of the people would be opposed to if the third party got 34% of the vote with the other two splitting the 66% evenly. Or if there were 10 political parties and one party got 11% of the vote with the other 89% evenly split.

I don't think you've thought this out very well?

Old 11-20-2018, 11:23 AM

8,498 posts, read 4,559,995 times
There is a lot of one party control in many of the backward southern states that once wanted out of the USA and fought a war against it.

Old 11-20-2018, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
One party rule is barely a step away from a dictatorship. This is true of BOTH parties. Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. That said, I have republican friends who feel that the republican party has deserted them, and I understand why they would feel this way in the era of Trump.

The republican party has steadily painted itself into a corner by becoming the party of old white men. The party needs to reinvent itself in order to appeal to a broader cross section of voters. Back in the day, I used to vote for the candidate I considered best qualified and if that person was a republican, I still voted for them.

Now since republicans have become the party of Trump, I would never ever vote for a republican. The republican party needs to start offering voters viable choices again.
Oh so that's why Biden age 76 is being considered as one of the potential presidential nominees for the Democrat Party in 2020? You've got Chuck Schumer age 66, Dick Durbin age 72, and Steny Hoyer age 77.

That's why many Democrats voted for Bernie Sanders age 77.

As for me I never have nor ever will vote for a Democrat no matter who they nominate for any public office. I've had my fill of them while I lived in New York. So I guess we're even?

Not only that but I thought that Democrats were opposed to any type of discrimination based on age, race or gender?

Quote:
The 115th Congress is among the oldest in history - Quorum
www.quorum.us/data-driven-insights/the-115th...
Democratic leaders in the House are two decades older than Republican leaders. The average age of the Democratic House leadership is 72 years old, whereas the average age of Republican House leadership is 48 years old.

Republican Lawmakers Younger on Average Than Democrats
freebeacon.com/politics/republican-lawmakers...
In fact, on average, Congressional Democrats are significantly older than their Republican counterparts. ... Democrats have a median age of 64, compared to 55 for Senate Republicans.

Democratic Leadership Looks Like Old Soviet Politburo
www.huffingtonpost.com/miles-mogulescu/...
Democratic Leadership Looks Like Old Soviet Politburo. ... That's even older than the 70-year old average of Soviet Politburo members in the age of Brezhnev, shortly before the collapse of the ...

Old 11-20-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I am a FIRM believer in NO PARTY AT ALL.
If a person wants to run for public office, they register their intentions in their home state, and their name is placed on the ballot.
No party affiliation, because there would be no party.
People would be voted in on their experience, knowledge, and character, not because they belong to a specific party.

Bob.
That probably wouldn't be a bad idea, as the party's leadership determines for the most part how their members will vote on any particular issue. Otherwise the fundraising will not be there for their campaigns.

Unfortunately it would be nearly impossible to win an election without a political party's backing.

My only concern regarding politics is that this country remains a Constitutional Republic as it was founded and not a Democracy as Democrats would have us believe.

Quote:
Constitutional Republic:

A Constitutional Republic is a form of government where the head of state and other officials are elected as representatives of the people, representatives mandated to govern according to existing constitutional law. It is because of this mandate that the elected class in a Constitutional Republic is limited in their power over the citizenry. The United States of America was created as and intended to survive as a Constitutional Republic.

Our Constitutional Republic is separated into three separate but equal branches of government; the Executive, Legislative and Judicial, represented by the Presidency, Congress and the Courts. Because of this no branch has a rein on absolute power thus assuring that there will be checks and balances to the governmental system and protection for the rule of law.

Through the elected representation employed by our Constitutional Republic the influence of the majority is tempered by protections for individual rights as mandated by constitutional law. Our form of government is deliberate in its attempt to thwart majoritarianism, thereby protecting political dissent and individuals and minority groups from the "tyranny of the majority" by placing checks on the power of the majority of the population. The power of the majority of the people is checked by limiting that power to electing representatives who are required to legislate with limits of overarching constitutional law which a simple majority cannot modify.

"A pure unbridled democracy is a political system in which the majority enjoys absolute power by means of democratic elections. In an unvarnished democracy, unrestrained by a constitution, the majority can vote to impose tyranny on themselves and the minority opposition. They can vote to elect those who will infringe upon our inalienable God-given rights. Thomas Jefferson referred to this as elected despotism in Notes on the State of Virginia (also cited in Federalist 48 by Madison):"

Old 11-20-2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
No I don't want one party rule.

That's why I hope the GOP jettisons the maniac and becomes a valid choice again for an opposition party to big government overreach.

As it is the GOP are the ones driving us most obviously toward authoritarianism.
If any one is driving us to authoritarianism it's the Democrats who believe that the Constitution is a living breathing document. Which means that all of our civil liberties are determined by the will of who is in power at any given time.

Quote:
The Democrat Party platform:

1 Healthcare—control healthcare and you control the people.

2 Poverty—increase the poverty level as high as possible, poor people are easier to control and will not fight back if you are providing everything for them to live.

3 Debt—increase the debt to an unsustainable level. That way you are able to increase taxes, and this will produce more poverty.

4 Gun control—Remove the ability to defend themselves from the Government. That way you are able to create a police state.

5 Welfare—Take control of every aspect of their lives (food, housing, income).

6 Education—Take control of what people read and listen to–take control of what children learn in school.

7 Religion—Remove the belief in God from the Government and schools.

8 Class warfare—Divide the people into the wealthy and the poor. This will cause more discontent and it will be easier to take (tax) the wealthy with the support of the poor.
If that's not authoritarianism, I don't know what is?

Old 11-20-2018, 01:03 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,162,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Already have one party rule: the State

Submit or be destroyed.

Bingo! Every blue moon and "outsider" like Trump slips thru the cracks but for the most part, it's just two wings of the same dirty bird.

Q: What's the difference between Obama, both Clintons, both Bushes?
A: Not much! All guilty of being globalist puppets.

Cue up some George Carlin!

“Forget the politicians. The politicians are put there to give you the idea you have freedom of choice. You don't. You have no choice. You have owners. They own you. They own everything. They own all the important land, they own and control the corporations that've long since bought and paid for, the senate, the congress, the state houses, the city halls, they got the judges in their back pocket, and they own all the big media companies so they control just about all of the news and the information you get to hear. They got you by the balls. They spend billions of dollars every year lobbying to get what they want. Well, we know what they want. They want more for themselves and less for everybody else. But I'll tell you what they don't want. They don't want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don't want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They're not interested in that. That doesn't help them.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies