Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 07:02 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,039,478 times

Advertisements

The ethical voter will seek to keep either party from fully seizing the levers of power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2018, 07:30 PM

25,747 posts, read 18,818,821 times
How about no party rule?

Old 11-21-2018, 06:27 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,354,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Happens all the time. People vote for representatives that assign different priorities to different subjects and those representatives form voting blocks accordingly.

And that party would control 34% of the seats in the legislative voting body. That's what is known as a "minority".

If you don't understand how proportional representation works, there are resources online.

The remaining 89% of the seats would not be able to pool their votes?

It would allow people to actually vote for a party that closer represents their actual viewpoints. I for one do not think it would be too hard to figure out, but then again I think well of the US electorate in general.

Ya think?
I can see my post went way over your head.

Old 11-21-2018, 07:42 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,396,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Well. We have periodic elections in this country. The people decide and sometimes they overwhelmingly reject a particular party and create a long standing majority. It’s the democratic process. What kind of government do you want an authoritarian one party rule ?
Long standing rule , depending what that is measured in can basically mean one party rule for the seen future. In your own state California Democrats have become a one party ruling government. However when you get away from the coast and the cities there is actually red to California but they have been shut out for the forseen future. Which actually creates a urban rules over all situation and can you see urban California becoming less liberal if anything the trend is go farther to the left?

Old 12-01-2018, 09:02 AM

491 posts, read 324,622 times
CA is 1 party state.

Old 12-02-2018, 07:47 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
I can see my post went way over your head.
No offense, but the scenarios you presented made no bloody sense.

Old 12-03-2018, 04:07 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,354,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
No offense, but the scenarios you presented made no bloody sense.
No offense either, but you do not make any bloody sense. It's really not that hard to figure out if you put your mind to it.

Quote:
In the thirteen years the Weimar Republic was in existence, some forty parties were represented in the Reichstag. This fragmentation of political power was in part due to the peculiar parliamentary system of the Weimar Republic, and in part due to the many challenges facing German democracy in this period.---https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weimar_political_parties
Again do you see how well that worked out? ^^^^

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 12-03-2018 at 04:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies