Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 09:25 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,189,660 times

Advertisements

Perhaps you should re-read that high school classic Lord of the Flies. Hint, it's not a how-to book, it's a cautionary tale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2018, 10:08 AM

29,555 posts, read 9,756,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Do you really want me telling you what to do and what you cannot do?
I know damn well, I don't need or want you, thinking and making choices for me.
I bet I am not in the minority here.

Why in the hell, do you allow other people, looking out for their own best interest, think and make choices for you?

Serious question?

We debate, argue and attack the thoughts of others here daily.
You can tell who is here to educate with facts and who is here to think for others driven by emotion.

I don't need you thinking for me. I'm positive the feeling is mutual.
I thought I would quickly hop out of my bunker and jump into your thread to quickly reply not only NO but HELL NO! I surely don't want YOU telling me what to do...

Serious question?

Knowing you, I suspect it is, but hard for me to take this sort of thing seriously when I know you are just wanting to go on about no one telling you what to do. Anyone who reads your comments just about every day knows this is your thing. Then too I read some of the other comments in this thread, some by unsuspecting people who think this is the want of intelligent exchange of opinion, about our freedoms, liberties and challenges as a society, and I am reminded of something I often think about; how your neighbor(s) can make your life better or miserable.

Maybe the more serious question is what is "injury?"

My wife and I very much appreciate the peace and quiet around us, especially at night when we want a good night's sleep. We also very much appreciate the natural beauty all around us too, including the homes of our neighbors who seem to feel the same way. "Pride of ownership" as it were and all that sort of thing. Most our neighbors anyway...

Then there are those who seem to think the world revolves around them. Blaring music as if everyone wants to hear what they want to hear, loud and into the night. Hello? Talk about "injury!" I'm not sure how many things can be more rude, inconsiderate and irritating. Laws against that sort of thing? Of course! So maybe no one is forced to shoot a neighbor like that! Or the dog that won't stop barking.

Then too there is always the neighbor somewhere in the neighborhood that is fairly well known to be reclusive and ultimately a slob, with the same old trash forever on display out front. Old cars here and there that haven't moved in a very long time. Can only guess what the house looks like inside, but I always imagine scenes from the movie "Silence of the Lambs."

FORTUNATELY! We don't have any neighbors like that, but we know where they live not all that far from us. Lucky for us they are far enough from us, but we always feel sorry for the neighbor who lives across the street from these slobs or next door. About these sorts of issues, these sorts of people who just don't seem to give a rip about other than themselves, we begin to see how the right to do as we please can become a problem for others, a serious problem.

These sorts of problems, quite simply, are why laws emerge that begin to feel like an infringement on our personal freedoms, but like most things, sometimes it takes giving up a little something to protect our freedom to live without the imposition of slobs affecting how we choose to live, in peace and quiet just for starters!

Old 11-16-2018, 10:08 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,967,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Perhaps you should re-read that high school classic Lord of the Flies. Hint, it's not a how-to book, it's a cautionary tale.
We're living in Lord of the Flies.

That's where all the laws got us.

Old 11-16-2018, 10:14 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,096,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Do you really want me telling you what to do and what you cannot do?
I know damn well, I don't need or want you, thinking and making choices for me.
I bet I am not in the minority here.

Why in the hell, do you allow other people, looking out for their own best interest, think and make choices for you?
Serious question?

We debate, argue and attack the thoughts of others here daily.
You can tell who is here to educate with facts and who is here to think for others driven by emotion.

I don't need you thinking for me. I'm positive the feeling is mutual.
What in the world are you talking about???

Old 11-16-2018, 10:20 AM

3,321 posts, read 1,103,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I thought I would quickly hop out of my bunker and jump into your thread to quickly reply not only NO but HELL NO! I surely don't want YOU telling me what to do...

Serious question?

Knowing you, I suspect it is, but hard for me to take this sort of thing seriously when I know you are just wanting to go on about no one telling you what to do. Anyone who reads your comments just about every day knows this is your thing. Then too I read some of the other comments in this thread, some by unsuspecting people who think this is the want of intelligent exchange of opinion, about our freedoms, liberties and challenges as a society, and I am reminded of something I often think about; how your neighbor(s) can make your life better or miserable.

Maybe the more serious question is what is "injury?"

My wife and I very much appreciate the peace and quiet around us, especially at night when we want a good night's sleep. We also very much appreciate the natural beauty all around us too, including the homes of our neighbors who seem to feel the same way. "Pride of ownership" as it were and all that sort of thing. Most our neighbors anyway...

Then there are those who seem to think the world revolves around them. Blaring music as if everyone wants to hear what they want to hear, loud and into the night. Hello? Talk about "injury!" I'm not sure how many things can be more rude, inconsiderate and irritating. Laws against that sort of thing? Of course! So maybe no one is forced to shoot a neighbor like that! Or the dog that won't stop barking.

Then too there is always the neighbor somewhere in the neighborhood that is fairly well known to be reclusive and ultimately a slob, with the same old trash forever on display out front. Old cars here and there that haven't moved in a very long time. Can only guess what the house looks like inside, but I always imagine scenes from the movie "Silence of the Lambs."

FORTUNATELY! We don't have any neighbors like that, but we know where they live not all that far from us. Lucky for us they are far enough from us, but we always feel sorry for the neighbor who lives across the street from these slobs or next door. About these sorts of issues, these sorts of people who just don't seem to give a rip about other than themselves, we begin to see how the right to do as we please can become a problem for others, a serious problem.

These sorts of problems, quite simply, are why laws emerge that begin to feel like an infringement on our personal freedoms, but like most things, sometimes it takes giving up a little something to protect our freedom to live without the imposition of slobs affecting how we choose to live, in peace and quiet just for starters!

Spot on. You’re not the only one who sees the pattern with certain posters.....

Old 11-16-2018, 10:46 AM

6 posts, read 6,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Today, we have a big fight going - between Authoritarianism (the tradition situation of mankind) and Liberalism (Freedom, Human Rights, Equality). Authoritarianism is still quite powerful as it is a way of "outsourcing" many of the freedoms of individuals. Big Daddy will take care of us and make our country strong again.....that's Authoritarianism.
Yes you're right that there is a big fight is going on between Authoritarianism and Liberalism. I just think you have confused exactly what constitutes Authoritarianism and Liberalism and who represents these ideals. I can give you plenty of examples of Democrats that are exceptionally illiberal (i.e. authoritarian) or examples of Republicans that are examples of Liberalism.

Old 11-16-2018, 11:43 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,393,624 times
Part of the maturity of growing older is understanding that one does not have the freedom to do whatever one wants, and further that even my advancing age does not give me the privilege of setting my own rules. Whether or not I like it, I am beholden to others, more so now than at any other point in my life.

Old 11-16-2018, 11:57 AM

3,321 posts, read 1,103,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Part of the maturity of growing older is understanding that one does not have the freedom to do whatever one wants, and further that even my advancing age does not give me the privilege of setting my own rules. Whether or not I like it, I am beholden to others, more so now than at any other point in my life.
I get the feeling that some people enjoy acting like petulant children, and furthermore, rationalize it using the logic on display in the first post.

Old 11-16-2018, 12:00 PM

48,564 posts, read 34,941,456 times
Feel better now that you got that off your chest?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-16-2018, 12:10 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,398,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
What in the world are you talking about???
BB has moments of clarity. This thread is one of those times. He's still a statist but flirts with freedom (aka anarchy) on occasion.

The point being is that socialization doesn't require violence. Obviously only anarchists believe this to be true (as well as moral).

Or maybe the statists know it too and just can't make that connection to apply it consistently. After all, nobody (or a minuscule number) here walks into their house every day after work and starts taxing, raping, and killing other family members. So maybe that logic and morality is ok out on the street too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies