Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2018, 06:28 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,554,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
This should be fun

I'd shutdown the daily briefs.
The issue is bigger than Acosta, bigger than press conferences. It involves the very structure of our government, and the checks and balances imposed by 3 CO-EQUAL branches of government.

The courts, however, on their own, and wholly without Constitutional mandate or authority, have taken it upon themselves to be a super-branch, over and above both the legislative, executive branches, as well as the work product (laws) passed by their combined efforts.

It MUST stop.

The administration MUST issue a Temporary Restraining Order quashing the Court's TRO. Simply, put, no court has subject-matter jurisdiction over this issue, nor the authority to trump the actions of another branch.

Quash the courts TRO and keep the troll out of the White House - forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2018, 06:30 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Yeah, I'll bet you would shut down the daily briefs. Not much of an American are you? Not if you don't believe in freedom of the press.

It must have dumbfounded Trump that there would be any push-back.
Yep. I bet the lawsuit shocked him.

2,068 posts, read 998,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
Trump doesn't have a problem with Acosta's asking questions. He has a problem Acosta taking over the press conference, being rude and not letting other reporters ask their questions when it's their turn and doesn't surrender the mic when told to. Acosta thinks he is the only reporter there and thinks he is the center of attention.

The funny thing about this whole episode is that no one at the White House needs to respond to any question posed by Acosta. They need not even acknowledge that he is in the room.

15,088 posts, read 13,449,172 times
Quote:
you should learn how to read and comprehend. The judge didn't give Acosta 14 days temporarily regain access to his White House press credential on the First Amendment grounds. He did it mostly on the 5th amendment of due process. Meaning, Trump didn't give him warnings before taking his pass away.

Judge Kelly’s decision is temporary and further hearings are expected to take place in the next few weeks to determine whether or not yanking the credential violated CNN's and Acosta’s First and Fifth Amendment rights. The temporary order lasts for 14 days and CNN can now petition the Court for a permanent injunction.
Ok, I stand corrected on that point.

Quote:
Trump doesn't have a problem with Acosta's asking questions. He has a problem Acosta taking over the press conference, being rude and not letting other reporters ask their questions when it's their turn and doesn't surrender the mic when told to. Acosta thinks he is the only reporter there and thinks he is the center of attention.
This is utter bull****. Since when has the biggest ******* in the room ever cared about civil discourse and people not being rude?

Whenever Trump gets any kind of a question he doesn't like, or whenever anyone in the media holds him to account on things he said or did in any way that he doesn't like, it's all "enemy of the people," "Fake news," "we need to change the libel laws," etc.

Fake News = News that doesn't flatter Donald. That's all.

Trump has shown zero appreciation for the important right of journalists to question authority. And I suspect if he gets away with the Acosta thing, he'll go right down the line and start finding all sorts of flimsy excuses to eject many other journalists he doesn't like from White House coverage. This is a way for him to test how much he can get away with.

Old 11-16-2018, 06:33 PM

2,068 posts, read 998,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Yeah, I'll bet you would shut down the daily briefs. Not much of an American are you? Not if you don't believe in freedom of the press.

It must have dumbfounded Trump that there would be any push-back.

The press room did not exist before ... President Nixon. Imagine that! Nixon granting an audience to the press that he said in 1960, "You don't have Nixon to kick around any more, because, gentlemen, this is my last press conference."

The room was formerly FDR's swimming pool room.

Old 11-16-2018, 06:36 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,271,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Well, imagine how emboldened he'll be now. Obnoxious++++++.
It's a trap. If he goes back to his old ways, nobody would support him. Let's see if the courts rule that Trump must give him a question.

Old 11-16-2018, 06:37 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,270,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInTx View Post
The funny thing about this whole episode is that no one at the White House needs to respond to any question posed by Acosta. They need not even acknowledge that he is in the room.

I agree. If it was up to me, I would just ignore him and make him feel worthless. But I think Trump did that for the other "journalists" that want to copycat Acosta. The good thing about this is that there will be rules set and if some journalist breaks them there will be consequences and that is due process.

I would be pissed off as a journalist that I have to wait my turn to question the President and some a-hole SKIPS the line and hijacks the press conference and make it about himself. He gets one question and he has to pass the mic to the next journalist. This isn't the Acosta debate Session with the President.

Old 11-16-2018, 06:39 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,897,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
This should be fun

I'd shutdown the daily briefs.

That's what someone who has something to hide would do.

Old 11-16-2018, 06:41 PM

2,576 posts, read 1,749,334 times
I can't believe some judge has the power to do this thing. CNN has other reporters in the White House.

Acosta is very unprofessional. He should be banned for the next 2 years.

Old 11-16-2018, 06:48 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,270,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Trump has shown zero appreciation for the important right of journalists to question authority. And I suspect if he gets away with the Acosta thing, he'll go right down the line and start finding all sorts of flimsy excuses to eject many other journalists he doesn't like from White House coverage. This is a way for him to test how much he can get away with.

I disagree. Acosta has a long history of being bias and hostile to the President and being rude to other journalists. There is plenty of material on that.

When Acosta refused to surrender his mic to the next journalist and wanted to make it about himself and debate the President on immigration and the definition of invasion, then that's when he crossed the line from being a reporter to an activist and Trump reacted the way he did.

Acosta has to decide, is he a journalist or an Activist? Activists will break rules, laws and make it about them and will reject anybody taking the mic away. They don't have questions from a neutral stand....they usually make a political point (theirs) and their questions are meant to debate back and forth.....that is not the job of a journalist.

Last edited by Hellion1999; 11-16-2018 at 07:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies