Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 08:25 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Look at obesity.

Fat Republicans say that they are obese because they make poor eating choices and don't exercise enough.

Fat Democrats say that they are obese because of genetics and evil corporations putting too much sugar in things they eat.

There is a real danger in the liberal mindset of one not being responsible for personal choices.

https://www.mensjournal.com/health-f...blicans-blame/

"I sit on the couch all weekend stuffing my face full of Doritos and Mountain Dew. It is the big corporation's fault that I am fat." -Fat Democrats
And both are true. What else do you have?

I can add a third one - evolution. Our bodies are simply not designed for modern times and the abundance of calories - even healthier ones - and our sedentary lifestyles are certainly not baked into our DNA yet.

So, what else you got?? You are showing your "conservatism" with the black/while on/off view of things. Remember, many things can be true at the same time...not one or the other.

Think about it. Have a flexible mind or you will get old before your time and chase kids off your lawn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2018, 08:28 AM

89,018 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
"Views" are not facts.
Use some critical thinking on this...

Republicans mostly believe that personal responsibility drives one's resultant financial status. The result: Republicans are half or less likely than Democrats to use and receive public assistance benefits (aka money taken from their neighbors' earnings and given to them).

Democrats believe that one is a victim of circumstances which they can do nothing to resolve (a falsehood in and of itself, right there ). Democrats are 2 or more times likely than Republicans to use and receive public assistance benefits.

Old 11-18-2018, 08:29 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Cool Hey, n00b...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallbuilder View Post
"Millionaire Next Door" type of people almost always vote Republican
Hog wash!

There are two self-made millionaires in my family. They got to where they are through hard work and good decision making. Each is at the head of a company he/she founded and each employs a number of people in well-paid positions, one has hundreds of employees.

Both of these are young folks in their mid 30s.

Both vote straight Democratic.

Carry on.

Old 11-18-2018, 08:30 AM

47 posts, read 29,344 times
Barack Obama is still my president.

Old 11-18-2018, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Look at obesity.

Fat Republicans say that they are obese because they make poor eating choices and don't exercise enough.

Fat Democrats say that they are obese because of genetics and evil corporations putting too much sugar in things they eat.

There is a real danger in the liberal mindset of one not being responsible for personal choices.

https://www.mensjournal.com/health-f...blicans-blame/

"I sit on the couch all weekend stuffing my face full of Doritos and Mountain Dew. It is the big corporation's fault that I am fat." -Fat Democrats
That is an excellent point. Look at the demographic groups with the highest obesity rates: Blacks and Hispanics. Both groups overwhelmingly vote Democrat.

Obesity prevalence among adults aged 20 and over, by race and Hispanic origin: United States - ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

Old 11-18-2018, 08:38 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Do That Thing View Post
Barack Obama is still my president.
He certainly has aged poorly, gained a lot of weight, gotten bald enough that he prefers a comb over, and has changed his taste in ties .

Old 11-18-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Use some critical thinking on this...

Republicans mostly believe that personal responsibility drives one's resultant financial status. The result: Republicans are half or less likely than Democrats to use and receive public assistance benefits (aka money taken from their neighbors' earnings and given to them).

Democrats believe that one is a victim of circumstances which they can do nothing to resolve (a falsehood in and of itself, right there ). Democrats are 2 or more times likely than Republicans to use and receive public assistance benefits.
Well, you can use some logic yourself also......

I have friends who do many of the free medical clinics in the South and Appalacia - helping those poor Republicans who are "victims" of circumstances and have it drummed into them that they should just suffer and die and lose all their teeth because accepting charity is "bad".......

We can use many sets of stats to compare them to the healthy "democrats" here in MA. who get the best health care in the USA for whatever price they can afford (often zero).

Which states and which peoples are better off? Isn't that the reason for metrics? The people in MA are healthier, smarter (or more educated), live longer, have lower infant mortality, lower gun violence, lower STDs, etc........

So there is your "end game". We (liberals) see the RESULTS of complex situations and can do a much better job gaming them out. The toothless suffering multi-generational hillbilly isn't going to do much this generation or next to improve our country and world...because their "views" taught them that government help is bad.

And you think that is a good thing?

Listen, the world is LONG past the idea of "each man an island" - that has been over for hundreds, if not thousands, of years.

Why in heck you keep clinging to it confuses me. Sure, morality and ethics and honesty and brotherhood are important. So is civics. But we are ONE...as a country and as a society.

Trying so hard to separate people based on their miseries is so yesterday. Give it up.

Old 11-18-2018, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That is an excellent point. Look at the demographic groups with the highest obesity rates: Blacks and Hispanics. Both groups overwhelmingly vote Democrat.
You forgot Southern and Red States white....in the mix. By accident, I'm sure!
https://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/prevalence-maps.html

Look at the first big chart. Then tell us why this particular Red (and Yellow) states are this way. I'll await a careful explanation. Then tell us why the Green States are virtually ALL....well, you know. Just look.

Old 11-18-2018, 08:53 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallbuilder View Post
I'm talking about self-made people who might not have prestigious jobs but work hard and live below their means, people who listen to Dave Ramsey. I know a lot of people like this. They live in average houses and drive 12-year-old Toyota Carollas and are worth $2-$3 million none of which they inherited. They nearly all vote Republican.

It makes sense ... Who would want to live in a society where someone who lives below their means has to be forced to give their money to a welfare bum who finances a BMW X3 with their welfare checks?
Ignoring the fallacy in the last paragraph...

I do believe the types of millionaires who are stuffing money into mattresses all their lives instead of enjoying their hard-earned income DO vote Conservative. 100%.

Old 11-18-2018, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Well, you can use some logic yourself also......

I have friends who do many of the free medical clinics in the South and Appalacia - helping those poor Republicans who are "victims" of circumstances and have it drummed into them that they should just suffer and die and lose all their teeth because accepting charity is "bad".......

We can use many sets of stats to compare them to the healthy "democrats" here in MA. who get the best health care in the USA for whatever price they can afford (often zero).

Which states and which peoples are better off? Isn't that the reason for metrics? The people in MA are healthier, smarter (or more educated), live longer, have lower infant mortality, lower gun violence, lower STDs, etc........

So there is your "end game". We (liberals) see the RESULTS of complex situations and can do a much better job gaming them out. The toothless suffering multi-generational hillbilly isn't going to do much this generation or next to improve our country and world...because their "views" taught them that government help is bad.

And you think that is a good thing?

Listen, the world is LONG past the idea of "each man an island" - that has been over for hundreds, if not thousands, of years.

Why in heck you keep clinging to it confuses me. Sure, morality and ethics and honesty and brotherhood are important. So is civics. But we are ONE...as a country and as a society.

Trying so hard to separate people based on their miseries is so yesterday. Give it up.
It was wrong when fascists did it. It's wrong, now. Just as examples: Stalin and Hitler were collectivists who subjugated the individual to the benefit of the collective society. How did that turn out? Tens of millions of executed individuals. Why? because they ran out of OPM (other people's money) to confiscate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies