Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 06:52 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Do they have a photo? I thought they looked like a credit card. I also don't know the process for getting such a card.
They were supposed to have a photo, but a lot of people objected to that. Gotta keep the welfare fraud rolling, dontcha know. /puke
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2018, 07:07 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallbuilder View Post
I'm talking about self-made people who might not have prestigious jobs but work hard and live below their means, people who listen to Dave Ramsey. I know a lot of people like this. They live in average houses and drive 12-year-old Toyota Carollas and are worth $2-$3 million none of which they inherited. They nearly all vote Republican.

It makes sense ... Who would want to live in a society where someone who lives below their means has to be forced to give their money to a welfare bum who finances a BMW X3 with their welfare checks?

I'm very close to being one of those people (maybe a million off but will be there by retirement in 10 years), but for some reason I don't buy into the Lee Atwater "welfare queen" narrative as a main motivation for my political stances.

Long story short, I don't buy into GOP BS that has made working class white people vote against their own interests based on racism, religion, and guns. A lot of people also buy into all this self help crap and identify with the "self made" Billionaires who actually benefit most from the corporate oligarchy we currently reside in.

Dave Ramsey is dispensing modified basic personal finance 101 with a healthy dose of religion and right wing rhetoric.

Any person with a little more transcendent brain can realize that something like universal healthcare takes the burden off small businesses and frees up people to move about the economy. But too many people have heads filled with Heritage foundation propaganda they can't see past the "takers" rhetoric that is spewed on AM radio 24/7.

Old 11-19-2018, 04:31 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,355,232 times
Quote:
I'm talking about self-made people who might not have prestigious jobs but work hard and live below their means, people who listen to Dave Ramsey. I know a lot of people like this. They live in average houses and drive 12-year-old Toyota Carollas and are worth $2-$3 million none of which they inherited. They nearly all vote Republican.

It makes sense ... Who would want to live in a society where someone who lives below their means has to be forced to give their money to a welfare bum who finances a BMW X3 with their welfare checks?
That book is on my shelf. I fit that profile in terms of my finances and penchant for frugality, but I don't vote Republican.

Old 11-24-2018, 07:58 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
That book is on my shelf. I fit that profile in terms of my finances and penchant for frugality, but I don't vote Republican.
Not everyone understands politics and people don’t vote for their pockets.

Some people, democraps in particular, always try to enslave others.

Old 11-24-2018, 10:16 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post

Do people feel fulfilled spouting absurdist rhetoric like this?

Old 11-25-2018, 01:02 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post

No but enough do and typically it isn't based on politics but the economy. If they think the economy is good, they vote status-quo especially in the re-elections and if they think the economy is bad, they vote opposition. This explains a lot of presidential loses by incumbents: this happened to Ford, Carter and H.W. Bush (I argue it should have happened to W. Bush, but the Democrats nominated a flawed candidate.)

Old 11-25-2018, 03:50 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,929,893 times
Quote:

There are a ton of millionaires and multi-millionaires in the county we live in. GOP doesn't stand a chance at the local level (they didn't even run for many positions), nor at the federal level, because the county skews so heavily democrat. Not sure where you get this baseless 'facts' without any cited sources from.

Old 11-25-2018, 03:56 PM

24,623 posts, read 9,454,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
We understand that individual initiative, hard work among other things = achievement and lifetime economic security. Something a government or its “programs” can never, ever provide.
Bingo. Yahtzee. This. Winner.

The government can’t legislate you out of poverty of get you a bachelors degree, you have to do it yourself

Old 11-25-2018, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Do people feel fulfilled spouting absurdist rhetoric like this?
Truth hurts, doesn’t it?

Name one policy from the Democraps, besides free weed, that does t require violence or the threat of violence.

I will wait.

Old 11-25-2018, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
No but enough do and typically it isn't based on politics but the economy. If they think the economy is good, they vote status-quo especially in the re-elections and if they think the economy is bad, they vote opposition. This explains a lot of presidential loses by incumbents: this happened to Ford, Carter and H.W. Bush (I argue it should have happened to W. Bush, but the Democrats nominated a flawed candidate.)
Thanks for proving me right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies