Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 05:54 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Of course they won't have any sympathy.

Hell hath no scorn as that of a liberal scorned.
Hey, you're a fan of the current occupant. Where is the amazing health plan he promised? It's been years.

Oh - is this infrastructure week? Bad time to ask?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2018, 06:05 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Perhaps not, but it's pretty likely that he will get something expensive over the course of his life. The point is that self-insured does not work well usually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
It is NOT that everyone gets more in benefits than they pay into the system.

http://www.helpinsure.com/auto/youngexplain.html

https://www.thebalance.com/how-does-...e-work-3306069

Of course, while people might try to bargain down the costs, there is no guarantee that they would be able to do so. And, taking out loans to pay for health care can lead to medical bankruptcies.
So which is it? You've now covered both bases. You've said both that self-insured does not work out well usually and not everyone gets more in benefits than they pay into the system. If you couple in the relatively large number of catastrophic losses, the math just doesn't work out. You either need a lot of people getting back far less than they pay in or you need a pretty low and hard cap on expenses.

I think more likely is that you are conflating self-insurance, which is a real thing, with no insurance, which is just sort of hoping nothing bad ever happens. My large company self-insures, which means they allocate appropriate amounts of reserves to cover expected medical expenses and then paying for those expenses out of their reserves.

Old 11-19-2018, 06:09 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Until is the wrong word.

Unless would fit better, and the majority of Americans do not get cancer, nor suffer from major heart disease. Majority do not use $9k of service in a year. That is why typically employers pay $7k for single coverage a year, and at least $1k = profit.
Ah, but they do. The #1 cause of death in Americans is heart disease, followed by cancer. Being a cheapskate doesn't mean going without insurance is a good idea.

Old 11-19-2018, 06:11 PM

11,159 posts, read 7,961,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo3000 View Post
It's pretty obvious.

They will feel that Republicans don't care about fellow Americans' and their health.

The Republican Party doesn't support the Affordable Care Act, which gives healthcare coverage to millions of Americans in a "humane way".

They want to take away people's healthcare.

Why should they have sympathy for Republican voters who may have a health condition, in northwest NJ, rural MO, NY, etc and other heartland America?

They'll say that.
Yup...The Dems would rather see illegals getting free health care and welfare.

Old 11-19-2018, 06:22 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,984,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Don't mean to sound harsh, but it really doesn't matter to me if you have insurance or not--your choice. People act like liberals take opposition to the ACA personally. They don't.

Good luck with a payment plan for cancer. An associate came down with a nasty strain of pneumonia and his hospital bill was well over $100K. Granted--with insurance.

I am aware that doctors and hospitals charge less to cash customers than to insurance companies, but even then--I don't think they will discount it to affordable. If it was that easy, people would not be declaring bankruptcy due to medical bills.

And I have, in fact, heard of hospitals going after deadbeats and going so far as to garnish their wages. Hospitals now have collection agencies on retainer.
Still wont get me to opt into the ACA, I'll just go to the VA

Old 11-19-2018, 06:30 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,087,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo3000 View Post
It's pretty obvious.

They will feel that Republicans don't care about fellow Americans' and their health.

The Republican Party doesn't support the Affordable Care Act, which gives healthcare coverage to millions of Americans in a "humane way".

They want to take away people's healthcare.

Why should they have sympathy for Republican voters who may have a health condition, in northwest NJ, rural MO, NY, etc and other heartland America?

They'll say that.

How does the ACA "give" healthcare coverage to anyone?

Old 11-19-2018, 06:41 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,087,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
The problem is that the GOP wants to get rid of the ACA but they aren't offering a better alternative.

The ACA was built to fail and to be impossible to"fix".

It was designed specifically to be a stepping stone to single payer while also being a gift to insurance companies to buy their support.

Old 11-19-2018, 06:51 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,157,975 times
Trump wants to cross state lines to have healthy competition and get more value for the cost of healthcare. Trump wants to close the borders to illegals who get FREE HEALTHCARE ON THE AMERICANS DIME...

The democrats have no good healthcare option.. fact is, the more hospitals have to give treatment to illegals who don't pay ,the hospitals have to charge more for health care TO AMERICANS to cover the expense of giving free healthcare to illegals..THANK THE DEMOCRATS FOR HIGH HEALTH CARE COSTS... the democrats are forcing the cost of healthcare up for Americans while illegals get it free. Democrats are stupid .. really stupid..THAT FREE HEALTHCARE FOR ILLEGALS , AMERICANS HAVE TO PAY FOR, EITHER THOUGH OBAMACARE OR PRIVATE INSURANCE OR OUT OF POCKET.

Old 11-19-2018, 06:59 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Sorry to hear that. Hope she's doing OK?
Thanks for your concern. Physically she is doing well but mentally will never be the same. She is relatively happy which is what matters most.

Old 11-19-2018, 07:05 PM

13,954 posts, read 5,623,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
So convenient when economic self-interest can be given a quick veneer of a noble & principled stance.

Anyway, someone tell Volobjetc. about open enrollment periods, I think I've had enough for one day.
First, my plans are a well funded HSA and a really solid medical plan through my employer, as it has been for the last 31 years. And if I get cancer, unless whatever treatment has a 100% chance to cure me completely and for a relatively low cost, my money will be going to those named in my will, not the medical or insurance industries.

But the preexisting mandate plus community pricing mandates = adverse selection, and this is what fans of ObamaCare wished for, and they got it. I won't actually do it because I have ethics and morals, but I wouldn't fault anyone for playing the game to their advantage. End of the day, ObaamCare is naked tyranny foisted upon the people, so anyone choosing to give a hearty FU to the tyrants for their trouble...bravo zulu, I say.

I don't really have these worries though. As I said, well funded HSA says my health concerns are mere nuisance. Amazing how far you can go taking care of yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies