Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 07:12 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,722,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
You’ve got me wrong, actually. The right and left are equally corrupt, which is why I favor a minimal state. I am not a Republican. In fact, there is little difference between the two parties at the present time. Both parties advocate heavy statism, interventionism, overregulation, overtaxation, and destruction of freedom. The left is more brazen about stealing and plundering your money and your freedom, but the right will also engage in that very same thing while paying lip service to freedom. I hate them both. The solution is an unbelievably small government that does nothing more than defend individual freedom from physical threats. I want separation of church and state, separation of education and state, separation of economics and state. If government is small and concentrates only on defending individual liberty, there are no levers to pull and nothing to be gained by cronyism. Trump is the biggest statist since Roosevelt, but at least he promiscuously defends American interests with no confusion and a clear message. He does not represent my view of good governance, but he is the lesser of 2 evils. He wants to keep 3rd world people out of our country, and that’s fine with me. If we had the government I want, there would be no welfare state for the invaders to take advantage of. After which I would welcome the invaders, because as long as they fend for themselves and pay their own way, I am fine with them coming here. While I have to pay for them, I want them blocked. Which Trump will try to do, so more power to him in that effort. But bottom line, he is diametrically opposed to my philosophy and is only slightly better than a Hillary or Obama, but is still MUCH better than disgusting thieving cretins like Bernie Sanders or Ocasio-Cortez.

Libertarians rule !!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2018, 07:15 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,182,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Can you actually read though?

The X axis is in millions of years; that's a pretty obvious way to conceal warming in the past 120 years.
I just woke up. Your posting above made me laugh and wake up. I doubt the OP will understand though. S/he did post this in all seriousness. LOL

Old 11-20-2018, 10:36 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,533,084 times
I'm not concerned about global cooling because I'm too busy being concerned about global warming.

Old 11-20-2018, 10:44 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,465,069 times
I certainly would be "more concerned" about the cooling (shorter growing season, no growing, freezing temps with outrageous governmental costs for heating, etc)..than I am about global warming (longer growing season, better growing, more moist/tropical perfect for growing

the fact is we are warming..and are supposed to be, after all we are in an interglacial period....which naturally occurs ...and at some point (5000-20,000 years from now) we will hit the average peak (global average of 74'f) and then start cooling going into a glacial era.....and there is NOTHING humans can do to stop this natural cycle

Old 11-20-2018, 10:51 AM

25,672 posts, read 18,758,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Can you actually read though?

The X axis is in millions of years; that's a pretty obvious way to conceal warming in the past 120 years.
The statistical importance you place on the trends of one hundred twenty years as any sort of predictor for the entire time line of several billion years may not say a lot about reading ability, but it sure does say a lot about knowledge concerning statistical inference, and measure of central tendency and variation.

Old 11-20-2018, 10:53 AM

937 posts, read 926,529 times
Whole bunch of wannabee climatologists and meteorologists in this thread...

Anyone actually take a geo studies class in college?

Old 11-20-2018, 11:12 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,444,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
The earth has gone through warming and cooling cycles forever.
No doubt.

Do you deny that human activity has affected the normal cycle?

Old 11-20-2018, 11:17 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,465,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
No doubt.

Do you deny that human activity has affected the normal cycle?
does anyone deny that humans have an effect... but even scientists say the "human effect" is less than 4%

the cycles are still within the range of normal

Old 11-20-2018, 11:27 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,444,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
I certainly would be "more concerned" about the cooling (shorter growing season, no growing, freezing temps with outrageous governmental costs for heating, etc)..than I am about global warming (longer growing season, better growing, more moist/tropical perfect for growing
Not that simple. Have you been paying attention to what has been happening?

It's not for nothing that the Pentagon has rated climate change as a major national security threat.

The projections are that places which normally would receive abundant rain will receive more, and the areas that are normally quite arid will bake even more. Some countries are entirely in one type of area or the other, and this will cause massive disruptions and displacements and possibly more wars.

The transfer of heat energy from the hottest regions to the cooler ones will be more forceful and violent. While the polar regions still have ice, they are providing a moderating influence on our climate (much like ice cubes in a drink in the hot sun). When they have gone, the problems will multiply rapidly.

The only major nation I am aware of that is making plans for the changes is China. They have tropical areas and desert areas. China has a massive project underway to bring the increased floodwaters far to the south north to the parched regions. Whatever else we might say about them, they are being proactive about this looming crises, and trying to mitigate the terrible consequences coming.

Here in the USA, we can not even admit there is a problem, and so no preparations are being made whatsoever.

Old 11-20-2018, 11:31 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,404,553 times
Quote:
does anyone deny that humans have an effect
Yes.

Quote:
but even scientists say the "human effect" is less than 4%
Negative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies