Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Worst country?
China 3 6.82%
Russia 3 6.82%
United States 12 27.27%
Iran 9 20.45%
Saudi Arabia 12 27.27%
Angola 1 2.27%
South Africa 4 9.09%
Turkey 0 0%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 08:14 AM

5,527 posts, read 3,272,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Me either. There are no good guys on that list, but the Saudis - people are feeling especially negative about them right now. We’ve been supporting them without demanding any changes in their behavior toward their citizens.
To be fair we needed their oil. Now we don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2018, 08:15 AM

2,362 posts, read 781,210 times
If the only criteria was "most hated", it might be the USA. About 50% of the populate hate Trump and are very vocal about it. That's not true in any of those other countries, at least the vocal part. Now, in authoritarian regimes like Iran and Saudi Arabia where you can be executed on a moments whim, maybe people hate their government and are scared to voice it.

Old 11-19-2018, 08:16 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,712,004 times
I'm surprised Russia isn't winning this - because the Saudi "victory" here only says one thing - since they are OUR invention. In other words we think the Government and Country that we created, financed, developed and continue to support...is the worst in the World.

Russia, although we can claim some of the same (we "created" their oligarchy in the 1990's and called it Capitalism)...represents the worst IMHO because they steal 90% of the value of the country and ship much of it overseas. The SCALE of it is vast.

The Sauds spread the money around better...but they are effectively just our "tools" as without the "American-Arab Oil Company", they would be in tents.

The US would probably win worldwide...or be among the top 5.

Old 11-19-2018, 08:17 AM

68,352 posts, read 54,533,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Saudi Arabia is easily the worst country that isn't North Korea. I really don't see how anyone could say otherwise.

You've obviously never sold expensive NYC real estate to the Saudis.

Old 11-19-2018, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I'm surprised Russia isn't winning this
You're surprised because you have been easily riled up on CNN nonsense, and are not smart enough to see beyond propaganda.

Russia has its problems, its no where near the worst government in the world.

Old 11-19-2018, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
If the only criteria was "most hated", it might be the USA. About 50% of the populate hate Trump and are very vocal about it. That's not true in any of those other countries, at least the vocal part. Now, in authoritarian regimes like Iran and Saudi Arabia where you can be executed on a moments whim, maybe people hate their government and are scared to voice it.
The Saudis at least will pay you big to stop hating their government.
Iran? Nope......

I just read a book about the Iran-Iraq war - something most of us are probably unfamiliar with. Wow - those places are worse than bad. The dichotomy is that most of the individuals and families are decent people. But they do have some traditions of violence and male domination and other things which ends up creating their Authoritarian and Fundamentalist views.

While the book was great in terms of learning, it made me fully realize that without MAJOR reformation, the Islamic based nation thing isn't going to work out in either the short run or the long run.

Old 11-19-2018, 08:21 AM

68,352 posts, read 54,533,615 times
Quote:
I'm surprised Russia isn't winning this - because the Saudi "victory" here only says one thing - since they are OUR invention. In other words we think the Government and Country that we created, financed, developed and continue to support...is the worst in the World.

Russia, although we can claim some of the same (we "created" their oligarchy in the 1990's and called it Capitalism)...represents the worst IMHO because they steal 90% of the value of the country and ship much of it overseas. The SCALE of it is vast.

The Sauds spread the money around better...but they are effectively just our "tools" as without the "American-Arab Oil Company", they would be in tents.

The US would probably win worldwide...or be among the top 5.

Really?

Did we insist they practice one of the most radical forms of Islam as well as fund radical madrassahs preaching hatred of the west?

A little credit where credit's due, I believe they were perfectly capable of becoming duplicitous scumbags on their own with little help from us.

Old 11-19-2018, 08:22 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,800,896 times
Quote:
The president is not the USA, and hating the president is not the same thing as hating the USA. You must be too young to have lived with a president you hate. I think almost every American over the age of 35 knows what that is like.

Old 11-19-2018, 08:26 AM

Quote:
You're surprised because you have been easily riled up on CNN nonsense, and are not smart enough to see beyond propaganda.

Russia has its problems, its no where near the worst government in the world.
I think you underestimate my intelligence. I have been a avid historian and reader for 50 years and do not watch ANY television. So you'll have to come up with better reasoning.....

Russia has been around for many centuries as a "civilized" nation. It is also the largest nation in the world with the most resources - and any measurement of "suck" should be "who does the least with the most"?

You certainly won't find many wealthy advanced countries that have killed 30 million of their own in the last 100 years.

Putin has it all. Authoritarianism, Nationalism, Oligarchy and - perhaps most importantly - a world-view which declares that the Enlightenment and Western Views of the world are plain wrong and will fail.

Whether some two-bit place like N. Korea or even the Sauds are "bad" pales to me compared to The Bear that can't find its way.

Old 11-19-2018, 08:29 AM

Quote:
I have been a avid historian and reader for 50 years and do not watch ANY television. So you'll have to come up with better reasoning.....
Quote:
Russia has been around for many centuries as a "civilized" nation. It is also the largest nation in the world with the most resources - and any measurement of "suck" should be "who does the least with the most"?

You certainly won't find many wealthy advanced countries that have killed 30 million of their own in the last 100 years.
Here is your first failure, USSR and the current Russian government are not the same, and they cannot even be considered any kind of continuity other than both occupied the Russian geographic land mass. You cannot blame the current Russian government for the sins of the USSR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies