Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2018, 10:02 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhallian View Post
My god the faux-outrage is pervasive in this thread. All she's saying is that it's not a crime to seek asylum as a refugee. She's not making an apples-to-apples comparison of the suffering of Jews in the Holocaust to the violence suffered by these people in Central America.
But she is also suggesting that ALL of these caravan people have legitimate claims for asylum when:

1. They don't. The majority of these migrants are just men seeking better economic opportunities. Very few of them are women and children.

2. All of the men in the caravan that have been interviewed by reporters have only said that they are seeking work in the US.

3. That leaves a small number of single mothers with children. Being a baby momma is not grounds for asylum. We have enough single mothers in the US. And these women could have also accepted Mexico's offer of work and shelter... which would be much better for them since none of these single mothers speak any English at all.

4. And one young woman interviewed is not running away from violence, but only wants to find her mother living in Texas. Her mother abandoned her years ago to live in the US. But seeking the company of ones mother living in the US (and btw it's a mother who has no interest in seeing her daughter again) is not grounds for asylum either.

It isn't a crime to seek asylum, but it should be if the grounds are completely made up and false.

And it shouldn't be granted at all if one has passed through a country that has offered safe haven and shelter and turned down that offer. And that is international law.

And part of MY outrage is that these waves of migrants cost the US mucho dollars as they tied up our immigration court system with these frivolous and fake claims for asylum... all the while not having prepared for a life in the US since none of them have made any effort to learn our language.

I am not threatened or offended by more "brown people" entering our country so much as they don't speak English, and once in our country, they continue to speak Spanish as their primary language. I don't care what colour anyone's skin is, but for the love of God, at least adopt English as your primary language and make a strong effort to assimilate into American culture. I am sick and tired of working with Central Americans who chatter away in Spanish all day long in the workplace. It's very rude and isolating. So speak English and make an effort to mingle with your co-workers and neighbors while speaking ENGLISH!!!!

And yes, these people cost taxpayers a lot of extra money because of healthcare costs (they are overweight from drinking so much soda because in their home country, they can't drink their tap water) and educating their non-English speaking children at an average cost of $12K per year per student AND they need translators and tutors to catch up to the American students, and that is more taxpayer money. And what about affordable housing for a single parent who can't speak English AND has no job skills?

And that is why I am not wasting any compassion over these line jumping future parasites of America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2018, 11:14 AM

8,545 posts, read 10,964,749 times
I think this fool from New York is more popular on this cd forum than she is is Washington, or New York for that matter.

Bob.

Old 11-27-2018, 11:25 AM

62,866 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
But she is also suggesting that ALL of these caravan people have legitimate claims for asylum when:

1. They don't. The majority of these migrants are just men seeking better economic opportunities. Very few of them are women and children.

2. All of the men in the caravan that have been interviewed by reporters have only said that they are seeking work in the US.

3. That leaves a small number of single mothers with children. Being a baby momma is not grounds for asylum. We have enough single mothers in the US. And these women could have also accepted Mexico's offer of work and shelter... which would be much better for them since none of these single mothers speak any English at all.

4. And one young woman interviewed is not running away from violence, but only wants to find her mother living in Texas. Her mother abandoned her years ago to live in the US. But seeking the company of ones mother living in the US (and btw it's a mother who has no interest in seeing her daughter again) is not grounds for asylum either.

It isn't a crime to seek asylum, but it should be if the grounds are completely made up and false.

And it shouldn't be granted at all if one has passed through a country that has offered safe haven and shelter and turned down that offer. And that is international law.

And part of MY outrage is that these waves of migrants cost the US mucho dollars as they tied up our immigration court system with these frivolous and fake claims for asylum... all the while not having prepared for a life in the US since none of them have made any effort to learn our language.

I am not threatened or offended by more "brown people" entering our country so much as they don't speak English, and once in our country, they continue to speak Spanish as their primary language. I don't care what colour anyone's skin is, but for the love of God, at least adopt English as your primary language and make a strong effort to assimilate into American culture. I am sick and tired of working with Central Americans who chatter away in Spanish all day long in the workplace. It's very rude and isolating. So speak English and make an effort to mingle with your co-workers and neighbors while speaking ENGLISH!!!!

And yes, these people cost taxpayers a lot of extra money because of healthcare costs (they are overweight from drinking so much soda because in their home country, they can't drink their tap water) and educating their non-English speaking children at an average cost of $12K per year per student AND they need translators and tutors to catch up to the American students, and that is more taxpayer money. And what about affordable housing for a single parent who can't speak English AND has no job skills?

And that is why I am not wasting any compassion over these line jumping future parasites of America.

I couldn't agree more.

Old 11-27-2018, 11:43 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorel36 View Post
She really did say that and it drew some backlash on twitter. Wondering if this will be widely reported in the american MSM.

https://forward.com/fast-forward/414...ocasio-cortez/
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
She is correct, with "some backlash on twitter" from the usual suspects.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

@Ocasio2018
Asking to be considered a refugee & applying for status isn’t a crime.

It wasn’t for Jewish families fleeing Germany.
It wasn’t for targeted families fleeing Rwanda.
It wasn’t for communities fleeing war-torn Syria.
And it isn’t for those fleeing violence in Central America.
How many Jews fleeing NAZI Germany, were let into the USA?
How many illegal aliens have been allowed to cross the southern border since 1986?

Old 11-27-2018, 12:28 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhallian View Post
You're trying way too hard. And that speaks volumes.
He's not the one defending someone who is obviously not very bright and not very shy about broadcasting it.

Look, is it so hard to admit that maybe, just maybe, your party has produced such a person? Each side produces its share of fools (Sarah Palen comes to mind as does Maxine Waters).

Come on! Neither party has the monopoly on wisdom or stupidity.

Hey, she was elected. She has two years. Maybe she will surprise us all. If so, I will retract.

Old 11-27-2018, 12:30 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,724,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
She is correct, with "some backlash on twitter" from the usual suspects.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

@Ocasio2018
Asking to be considered a refugee & applying for status isn’t a crime.

It wasn’t for Jewish families fleeing Germany.
It wasn’t for targeted families fleeing Rwanda.
It wasn’t for communities fleeing war-torn Syria.
And it isn’t for those fleeing violence in Central America.
All of the groups above were fleeing THEIR OWN GOVERNMENTS. They qualified for refugee status. Because you don't want to be victimized by a gang or want a better job is not our problem. Take those issues up with your local government.

Old 11-27-2018, 12:40 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,509,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post

Come on! Neither party has the monopoly on wisdom or stupidity
I guess you are not old enough to remember the Bush years.

Old 11-27-2018, 12:46 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I guess you are not old enough to remember the Bush years.
I go back to Nixon. I have seen insanity, stupidity, and greed from both sides.

In abundance.

I don't put my faith in one political party and think them infallible and impervious to error. If you do, then you are part of the problem.

Old 11-27-2018, 12:54 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
All of the groups above were fleeing THEIR OWN GOVERNMENTS. They qualified for refugee status. Because you don't want to be victimized by a gang or want a better job is not our problem. Take those issues up with your local government.
Migrating into the US to escape the gangs doesn't make any sense to me. Members of those gangs are already in the US, and these migrants who don't bother to learn English tend to live in Spanish speaking communities filled with others from their home country... so therefore, the gangs will still find and be able "terrorize" them. Therefore, America is not going to be a safe from gangs haven for them.

Old 11-27-2018, 01:07 PM

3,315 posts, read 2,132,650 times
Cortez is sure committed to giving the "hold my beer while I attempt to out-stupid the POTUS" the old college try...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies