Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 04:12 AM

4,771 posts, read 3,270,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I realize there are many answers to my question, the most obvious probably being religious. This is so sad to me. I'm glad that funds have been raised for her. I couldn't have children, but I would have been proud to have a daughter like Emily. I wish her much happiness. I hope her parents come to their senses. I think of all the parents who have lost their kids in so many mass shootings in the past year who would give anything to have their child back, no matter what their sexual preference. What a stupid thing to disown your child over.

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-...ations-n938021
It's sad. But good to see the NCAA allowing her to keep the donations while maintaining eligibility as a student athlete.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2018, 05:11 AM

16,951 posts, read 12,511,466 times
My kids are my kids.
nuff said.

I would not jump for joy but I would welcome their spouse because that was what made my kid happy. I do not presume to tell a gay person they are not happy.

Old 11-20-2018, 05:12 AM

16,951 posts, read 12,511,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
A lot of Muslims cut the heads off of their gay children, or throw them off of buildings.
Disowned yes. Most of the building throwing is your local chapter of ISIS.

Old 11-20-2018, 05:19 AM

2,089 posts, read 3,889,427 times
NCAA is making a big mistake here. What is to stop a male star quarterback from "raising funds" to support himself. A lot of athletes have no money.

Old 11-20-2018, 05:29 AM

8,302 posts, read 3,885,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I realize there are many answers to my question, the most obvious probably being religious. This is so sad to me. I'm glad that funds have been raised for her. I couldn't have children, but I would have been proud to have a daughter like Emily. I wish her much happiness. I hope her parents come to their senses. I think of all the parents who have lost their kids in so many mass shootings in the past year who would give anything to have their child back, no matter what their sexual preference. What a stupid thing to disown your child over.

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-...ations-n938021
We like to believe that we are evolved and intelligent and modern, but when you get right down to it, we are still savages in many ways. This is the same sort of shunning that primitive peoples did for millenia; shut out those that are disfigured or ill or are "different".

Islamic extremists would be throwing this person off a roof or stoning them to death per Sharia law; we like to pretend that we are so much better, but the cruel act of disowning a child is really no different. In some ways it is worse since in many cases it forever damages the child.

Old 11-20-2018, 06:07 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,271,001 times
This is very shortsighted and hard hearted of the parents, we don't throw our kids away when they disappoint us, even if it is something that is personally devastating. Jesus didn't throw people away when they sinned, He loved them and at the same time told them to "go and sin no more". We serve a God of endless grace so why would we show anything less to our kids when they hurt us?

My guess: she was raised in a very devout Catholic family and was very sheltered growing up. College was her first experience outside of the "womb", so to speak, and she is a female athlete where peer pressure to be gay is greater than in most areas of college life. My daughter went to a notoriously liberal state college and knew several people, fresh out of Mom and Dad's house and granted personal freedom for the first time in their lives, who thought it would be cool to be gay so they experimented with it and then after college, what do you know, they settled down in a heterosexual relationship, arguing that sexuality is "fluid" (I guess this is the new term now) and that they weren't really gay at all, just experimenting.

So for these parents to disown someone who is 19 and out on her own for the first time in her life for living in a way that they don't agree with is shooting themselves in the foot because what if she does decide that she isn't gay after all is said and done? How do they make amends with her then after proving that their love for her is conditional upon living the way that they expect her to?

God doesn't stop loving us or disown us when we disappoint Him, and isn't He supposed to be a Christian's model of how to treat people?

Old 11-20-2018, 06:42 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,201,121 times
It's sad when this happens but if you can cast your child out because of his or her sexuality, then they don't deserve to have a relationship in the first place. A friend of mine ran away from home after he came out to his parents. They told him they were taking him to a conversion therapy facility in the morning. He packed everything he could and left in the middle of the night, never to return. Now they are missing out on a relationship with their son, their grandkids, etc. And for what? Pretty sad how religious beliefs will divide a family.

Old 11-20-2018, 06:54 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,589,641 times
Disowning your gay children is like a death sentence for some children. To choose religion over one’s own children should be a crime. Those children are yours to support until they are of legal age. ( usually 18). It just disgusts me to think they would shut their own blood out of their life because of sexual preference. Religion is man made. Who wrote the Bible? Not god. So the premise of god saying to disown your gay children is unchristian. Jesus would have never sanctioned that.

Old 11-20-2018, 06:56 AM

23,390 posts, read 17,061,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmann View Post
Either because of embarrassment (cultural / family) and some for religious issues.
Islam and Judaism forbids homosexuality as an example. Christianity does not as Christ was never against anyone and demands his adherends to love everybody.
What about mainstream Islam?

where do they stand?

Old 11-20-2018, 07:00 AM

19,541 posts, read 22,428,274 times
I could never disown my children for something like this. It is not a choice for them, it is not a choice for me.

No person says "Hey- I want to be in the largest minority in the world, resoundingly persecuted, shamed, belittled and often attacked or killed".

I happen to be Catholic, and I believe in the teachings of Christ. You should never cast out lest you be cast out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies