Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 07:13 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,220,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Do you want to know anything regarding your child engaging in heterosexual behavior?

If you're saying what I think you are, I personally want to know nothing about my hypothetical/future childrens' sex and private lives, as long as I know they're being responsible about it. I want to meet SOs when it gets serious enough but aside from that, not really my business what they're doing and with who.
If my child decides a homosexual lifestyle is what the child wants, I don’t want to know about it, I don’t want to meet anyone associated. Once the child steps into my house, that subject will not be visited. Period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2018, 07:14 PM

21,474 posts, read 10,572,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I realize there are many answers to my question, the most obvious probably being religious. This is so sad to me. I'm glad that funds have been raised for her. I couldn't have children, but I would have been proud to have a daughter like Emily. I wish her much happiness. I hope her parents come to their senses. I think of all the parents who have lost their kids in so many mass shootings in the past year who would give anything to have their child back, no matter what their sexual preference. What a stupid thing to disown your child over.

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-...ations-n938021
Well, it’s a stupid reason. How could a mother do that? On the other hand, I was kicked out of the house at 18 by my mother’s husband for a really stupid reason (taking some change out of the change tray and walking to the store). So people do some stupid stuff. But I wasn’t completely disowned. I still talked to my mom. But overall, it was a pretty big wake up call and made me more responsible.

Old 11-20-2018, 07:27 PM

482 posts, read 242,304 times
I have a much older estranged gay stepbrother.

I don't think my parents broke contact with him so much because he was gay, but more because he would never shut up about it. You literally couldn't talk to him without the conversation turning into something about his sexuality. It drove my parents nuts because they felt like it was just his way of being passive aggressive with them.

I never knew him that well until I was an adult. I hung out with him just a few times when I lived in Seattle. He was just too over the top for me. I'm not religious and could care less about what one does in the bedroom, but this guy is flaming on fire super gay to the point that I just can't be around him. He's embarrassing, and like a lot of gay men, he's super in your face with his sexuality to the point that I just don't care to be around him.

Old 11-20-2018, 07:40 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,521,031 times
I want my kids to be happy and healthy. Not sure what is so complicated about that.

Old 11-20-2018, 07:58 PM

25,441 posts, read 9,802,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
Parents who disown their kids for being LGBT should be ashamed! I’m glad that my parents were accepting of me when I came out to them.
I'm glad your parents were accepting too. I just couldn't imagine disowning my child because of something like this. It breaks my heart.

Old 11-20-2018, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
If my child decides a homosexual lifestyle is what the child wants, I don’t want to know about it, I don’t want to meet anyone associated. Once the child steps into my house, that subject will not be visited. Period.
So if your child brought home a significant other, you wouldn't allow them to come to your house?

Old 11-20-2018, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I bet theres more people who would disown a child because they changed from Dem to GOP.
Do you know someone who has done that? I don't. But that would be a shame if they did.

Old 11-20-2018, 08:11 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Either that girl is not the sharpest knife in the kitchen or else she outed herself to her parents to spite them. If the girl knew her parents were like that and she was still dependent on them - and I see no way that she could not know they were like that - then she should have kept her big mouth shut and not told them about herself until after she was fully responsible for herself and no longer dependent on them. I think there's more to this story than meets the eye and there's some ulterior motives going on that haven't been made public knowledge. In any event that whole family, including that girl, are a stupid bunch for behaving the way they did.

Old 11-20-2018, 08:13 PM

2,528 posts, read 1,656,974 times
I don't think that I will disown a gay child. It's disgraceful to disown a mentally ill son.
But I WILL disown him if he will be anti-zionist.

Old 11-20-2018, 08:23 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
So if your child brought home a significant other, you wouldn't allow them to come to your house?
Seems that way, which sounds pretty close to disowning to me because what child is going to come home for the holidays or something when their SO isn't welcome and mom and dad want no involvement or even knowledge about their relationship?

I just don't see how the likely result of losing your relationship with your child is worth it. Just because they love someone of the same sex, it's such an arbitrary reason imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies