Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2018, 07:47 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,239,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
I stated my point clearly;
You do not understand the topic you are attempting to discuss.

Perhaps you have a comprehension difficulties?
At this point an intelligent person would then present an argument to back the statement they made. What exactly do I not understand about the topic we are discussing? Please use whatever brain cells you have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2018, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
We do posses Natural Rights as human being whether you believe in a "Creator" or not. One of them is the right to self defense from predators. The tool used to defend is irrelevant. The fact remains that we are not meant to be defenseless.
Ok where do Natural Rights come from then?

Who or what decides what is or is not a Natural Right?

Where are Natural Rights found in the Natural World outside of humans?

You can't believe in the notion of Natural Rights without an axiomatic belief in God. And God isn't real. So best of luck with that.

Old 11-21-2018, 08:06 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,170,668 times
Natural rights is a myth. The only rights we have are the ones that can be enforced. If you want them, you must be prepared to fight and die for them if necessary. Claiming they are from a sky daddy or innate to our existence isn’t going to guarantee them.

Old 11-21-2018, 08:07 PM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
Ok where do Natural Rights come from then?

Who or what decides what is or is not a Natural Right?

Where are Natural Rights found in the Natural World outside of humans?

You can't believe in the notion of Natural Rights without an axiomatic belief in God. And God isn't real. So best of luck with that.
I am not a religious person, nor do I necessarily believe in God. However, I believe in the possibility of a higher power, and the possibility of God, and concepts we as humans, due to our limited intellect may not understand. How was the Universe created? Was life created from nothing? I do believe in a different set of rules that we may not even conceive. So, the basic concepts of self preservation are in order. No? Do we not have free will to protect ourselves from harm? Do you want to be helpless? I don't, and I won't.

Last edited by Pilot1; 11-21-2018 at 08:19 PM..

Old 11-21-2018, 08:10 PM

3,368 posts, read 1,604,433 times
Quote:
At this point an intelligent person would then present an argument to back the statement they made. What exactly do I not understand about the topic we are discussing? Please use whatever brain cells you have.
That would be assuming that someone thinks you worth that effort.

Old 11-21-2018, 08:22 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
Natural rights is a myth. The only rights we have are the ones that can be enforced. If you want them, you must be prepared to fight and die for them if necessary. Claiming they are from a sky daddy or innate to our existence isn’t going to guarantee them.
That is why, Ghost Guns for everyone!

Old 11-21-2018, 08:24 PM

Quote:
So, the basic concepts of self preservation are in order. No?
Wanting self preservation is a normal biological response. But its not a "Natural Right"

Quote:
Do we not have free will to protect ourselves from harmed? Do you want to be helpless? I don't, and I won't.
Obviously. But that isn't the point of this argument. The point is that gun control violates man's "Natural Rights" and my counter is that it doesn't because there is no such thing as "Natural Rights".

Old 11-21-2018, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
That would be assuming that someone thinks you worth that effort.
Why make the statement if you lack the mental resources to back it up? At least the other posters on here try and make an intelligent argument. You provide nothing of value to this discussion.

Old 11-21-2018, 08:27 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Wanting self preservation is a normal biological response. But its not a "Natural Right"

Obviously. But that isn't the point of this argument. The point is that gun control violates man's "Natural Rights" and my counter is that it doesn't because there is no such thing as "Natural Rights".
Fighting those that are out to harm you, your family and your property is natural instinct. it is a natural right and a duty to your freedom.

Old 11-21-2018, 08:32 PM

7,502 posts, read 4,347,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
You seem to assume that any armed insurrection would be a united citizenry vs the Military. That is highly unlikely.

What could (and does) happen is that armed militias or groups would declare their own law and attempt to live independently of the State and/or Federal Authorities. Groups like the Branch Davidians or the Bundys or T Kaczynski, or even Ruby Ridge and we know how all of those ended.

None of those included the use of Military personnel and most included both the FBI and local/other Federal law enforcement authorities. If you think that you and your gun (or guns) are going to do anything to protect you from a tyrannical Federal Government then my belief is that you are very badly deluding yourself.
I'm not assuming anything. I was responding to this previous post #75 by maat55 which mentioned THE MILITARY, THE MILITARY, THE MILITARY, being used to defeat the American citizenry. Nowhere did I mention anything about any isolated armed insurrections, the FBI and local/other Federal law enforcement authorities. Perhaps reading comprehension is not your forte?
Quote:
It is nonsensical to think the US military could defeat the American citizenry. What you are not recognizing is that militaries struggle against gorilla warfare. Added is the fact that large numbers of military personnel will defect and side with the citizens.

You will never see the disarmament of the American citizen. And, 2A infringements will eventually cross a line that could spark civil unrest. It is in everyone’s best interest to learn how better to address the consequences of an armed citizenry than to unarmed the citizenry.
My response to that particular post #75 was this:
Quote:
Not only that but do they really think that the military is going to destroy their own family, friends and neighborhoods? There would be absolutely nothing left for them to come back to.
If you think that the "FBI and local/other Federal law enforcement authorities" have the manpower to go on house to house warrantless searches of every residency throughout the entire United States to confiscate every single firearm that is in civilian hands then it is YOU who is "very badly deluding yourself". Sure they could handle isolated armed insurrections if they crop up from time to time but that's about it. But I seriously doubt they could handle an armed insurrection that happened simultaneously in every single neighborhood throughout the United States all happening at the same time. What would they do if there was a day of reckoning and every single gun owner on the same day stood outside their residences armed, daring to be arrested for non compliance? There are only something like 251 law enforcement officers for every 100,000 people. Many of whom would not comply with such a draconian order either, as they have their own privately held firearms themselves.

Even if they could do this, there are over 300,000,000 firearms in civilian hands. It is estimated that one third of all Americans own a gun, that's around 100,000,000 people. Just try to imagine what that would do to the criminal justice system as tens of millions of people would have to be arrested, prosecuted and incarcerated. Just think of how many new prisons would have to be constructed to house them all? Not to mention feed, clothe and take care of their medical needs.

It is estimated that only 10% of New York's gun owners have complied with New York's "Safe Act". As of yet there haven't been any house to house searches of every single resident in the State of New York. Nor has there been any armed insurrection. There's gotta' be a reason why that despicable act can not be enforced? If there were, believe me Cuomo would have done it.

Quote:
How Many Police Are There in the United States? – The ...
blog.skepticallibertarian.com/2016/07/24/how...
Update through 2013 available here. How many cops are there in the United States? In 2008, according to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, there were 765,246 full-time police officers in the United States — roughly 251 police per 100,000 residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies