Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2018, 09:21 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
This is what “progressive “ means . L.A has the nation’s worst homeless crisis and many other issues yet they are expanding benefits to the citizens of other countries that have no legal right to be in this country .

Yes Hilda it’s one of the few in the country because most in the country aren’t stupid enough to reward illegal aliens for breaking our laws .
——
The Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors voted Tuesday to expand access to healthcare for residents who do not qualify under the Affordable Care Act, primarily undocumented immigrants.

Supervisor Hilda Solis praised the program as "one of the very few in the entire nation that exists that provides this kind of service.”

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/l...mpression=true
Oh my. What a revoltingly Christian policy. Way too Christian for some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2018, 10:05 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Where is this interest in Christianity when it comes to our homeless, our opioid problem, the problem of generational poverty, guns and violence in urban areas, the drug problem, etc? Charity begins at home. We cannot save the world. We need to fix our own problems - something no political party seems interested in genuinely doing and something the libs completely ignore, in favor of boohooing over illegals.

For those who are confused about our history with amnesty - it's been granted SEVEN TIMES!

The Seven Amnesties Passed by Congress
Immigration and Reform Control Act (IRCA), 1986: A blanket amnesty for some 2.7 million illegal aliens
Section 245(i) Amnesty, 1994: A temporary rolling amnesty for 578,000 illegal aliens
Section 245(i) Extension Amnesty, 1997: An extension of the rolling amnesty created in 1994
Nicaraguan Adjustment and Central American Relief Act (NACARA) Amnesty, 1997: An amnesty for close to one million illegal aliens from Central America
Haitian Refugee Immigration Fairness Act Amnesty (HRIFA), 1998: An amnesty for 125,000 illegal aliens from Haiti
6. Late Amnesty, 2000: An amnesty for some illegal aliens who claim they should have been amnestied under the 1986 IRCA amnesty, an estimated 400,000 illegal aliens
LIFE Act Amnesty, 2000: A reinstatement of the rolling Section 245(i) amnesty, an estimated 900,000 illegal aliens

How many more times are we going to do this? All granting amnesty does is send the message that if you lie low long enough you'll eventually become a citizen.

Forget rounding them up - do you know what the ICE policies are? They're a joke. If there are children involved, they'll often just let them go. If an ICE officer cannot interview them within 48 hours, they must be released. If a deportation officer decides to proceed with deporting someone, they start the process to remove them by serving them with a notice to appear before an immigration judge to plead their case. This process can take years. People are not arrested and deported right away. How many do you think actually appear in court? Only 26% show up according to the Department of Justice as reported here:

https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article...l-case-hearing

The law isn't harsh enough on illegals or employers who hire them. Start throwing both in prison and business owners hiring them will be reduced and illegals will self-deport.

Old 11-24-2018, 10:53 AM

6,230 posts, read 3,609,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Marc is right, it is not going to happen and what's sad is that corporations who benefit from hiring illegals have greased the palms of enough politicians that nothing will even happen to slow the flow of immigrants. Trump is appealing to his base with silly promises that will never be fulfilled. As much as you don't want to hear it, US Citizens do not want to slaughter chickens, clean out barns, pick strawberries, make beds or clean toilets in hotels. And even if you deported every illegal working in those occupations tomorrow Americans still won't apply for those jobs, they are dirty, low paying, dead end jobs, many of them dangerous
More excuses, with historical ignorance. Farmers have an unlimited number visas to bring in LEGAL workers to pick crops. Americans have always cleaned out barns, worked in hotels, slaughtered chickens, and did other dirty and dangerous jobs, but they won't do them for less than minimum wage or put up with illegal workers abuse. Decades ago during segregation, hotel maid was actually a decent-paying and respectable job mostly occupied by mostly black women (the same way black men were train porters) but their wages were undercut by illegal Mexicans moving in, who have totally replaced all others in that field. And many illegals aren't working at corporations--they are hired by private individuals picking up day laborers at Home Deport, they're selling fruit and flowers on the corner, they're cleaning homes by word-of-mouth.

Buzzfeed, a liberal site that targets millennials, did a whole expose called "All You Americans Are Fired" on how these companies are PUSHING Americans out--particularly black ones--because they prefer illegals who put up with sub-standard wages and practically illegal conditions. They cover everything from picking crops in the South, to corn tasseling in the Midwest, to Christmas tree farms to horse grooming. All stuff Americans have always done and want to continue doing. I know it's your MO to dismiss any opposing poster's links as right wing and refuse to read it, but remember this is BUZZFEED NEWS, not Breitbart, Fox, CIS, or FAIR.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...cans-are-fired

Old 11-24-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I didn't know LA County was a theocracy.

Old 11-24-2018, 11:02 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Where is this interest in Christianity when it comes to our homeless, our opioid problem, the problem of generational poverty, guns and violence in urban areas, the drug problem, etc? Charity begins at home. We cannot save the world. We need to fix our own problems - something no political party seems interested in genuinely doing and something the libs completely ignore, in favor of boohooing over illegals.

For those who are confused about our history with amnesty - it's been granted SEVEN TIMES!

The Seven Amnesties Passed by Congress
Immigration and Reform Control Act (IRCA), 1986: A blanket amnesty for some 2.7 million illegal aliens
Section 245(i) Amnesty, 1994: A temporary rolling amnesty for 578,000 illegal aliens
Section 245(i) Extension Amnesty, 1997: An extension of the rolling amnesty created in 1994
Nicaraguan Adjustment and Central American Relief Act (NACARA) Amnesty, 1997: An amnesty for close to one million illegal aliens from Central America
Haitian Refugee Immigration Fairness Act Amnesty (HRIFA), 1998: An amnesty for 125,000 illegal aliens from Haiti
6. Late Amnesty, 2000: An amnesty for some illegal aliens who claim they should have been amnestied under the 1986 IRCA amnesty, an estimated 400,000 illegal aliens
LIFE Act Amnesty, 2000: A reinstatement of the rolling Section 245(i) amnesty, an estimated 900,000 illegal aliens

How many more times are we going to do this? All granting amnesty does is send the message that if you lie low long enough you'll eventually become a citizen.

Forget rounding them up - do you know what the ICE policies are? They're a joke. If there are children involved, they'll often just let them go. If an ICE officer cannot interview them within 48 hours, they must be released. If a deportation officer decides to proceed with deporting someone, they start the process to remove them by serving them with a notice to appear before an immigration judge to plead their case. This process can take years. People are not arrested and deported right away. How many do you think actually appear in court? Only 26% show up according to the Department of Justice as reported here:

https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article...l-case-hearing

The law isn't harsh enough on illegals or employers who hire them. Start throwing both in prison and business owners hiring them will be reduced and illegals will self-deport.
Thanks for posting that.
What it shows me is that all those millions of immigrants we let into the country were successfully absorbed into society and are all integrated into the workforce and contributing to the betterment of all Americans and our society.

Old 11-24-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Marc is right, it is not going to happen and what's sad is that corporations who benefit from hiring illegals have greased the palms of enough politicians that nothing will even happen to slow the flow of immigrants. Trump is appealing to his base with silly promises that will never be fulfilled. As much as you don't want to hear it, US Citizens do not want to slaughter chickens, clean out barns, pick strawberries, make beds or clean toilets in hotels. And even if you deported every illegal working in those occupations tomorrow Americans still won't apply for those jobs, they are dirty, low paying, dead end jobs, many of them dangerous
This is what's going on in the rest of the country, outside of the retired San Francisco bubble:

Quote:
In house after house in Moultrie, American workers said they have been shut out of agriculture jobs that have been available in their community for generations. Older workers talked of becoming impoverished; younger ones said their chances of financial stability have been strangled, leaving them, in some cases, with little choice but to leave town.

“They got rid of us,” said Mary Jo Fuller, referring to black workers. A field-worker on and off for most of her life, she said she was abruptly terminated from J&R Baker Farms, near Moultrie, as part of a mass firing in 2010. Unable to find other employment, the 59-year-old said she wound up homeless for more than a year. “We don’t really have jobs no more.”
But before workers even get the jobs, they're deliberately hiding them from Americans. They will place help wanted ads literally hundreds of miles away and then say well no Americans applied.

Quote:
In North Carolina’s Blue Ridge Mountains, seasonal jobs cutting down Christmas trees in the frenzied weeks before the holiday pay well. But year after year, the state’s online job board has incorrectly posted those jobs in the wrong counties, sometimes hundreds of miles from any pine forests. As a result, workers looking for Christmas tree work close to home face a peculiar paradox: The only way to find the openings nearby is to search in a faraway corner of the state.
Oh and American's won't clean hotels? The Westin Resort in Scottsdale rejected all their American applicants, but here's the kicker:
Quote:
The following year, however, when government inspectors contacted some of those rejected workers, a different story emerged. One applicant “revealed that she had over 25 years of housekeeping experience” and “used to run her own motel in Colorado,” investigation documents said.
There are just a few examples from the article, but it's nationwide and systemic.

From https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...cans-are-fired

Old 11-24-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Thanks for posting that.
What it shows me is that all those millions of immigrants we let into the country were successfully absorbed into society and are all integrated into the workforce and contributing to the betterment of all Americans and our society.
How so? All it shows is numbers of people, with no qualitative analysis of how those communities are doing now. Oh I know--all the kids are valedictorians and all the adults are CEOs!

Old 11-24-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Thanks for posting that.
Are you seeing some footnote I can't spot? Absolutely NOTHING that I posted indicates these people were successfully absorbed into society, integrated into the workforce, or contributing to the betterment of all Americans and our society.

I'm embarrassed for you.

Old 11-24-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
How so? All it shows is numbers of people, with no qualitative analysis of how those communities are doing now. Oh I know--all the kids are valedictorians and all the adults are CEOs!
I think libs are the dreamers. They can create entirely fictional narratives around numbers.

Old 11-24-2018, 11:36 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
And I wonder how many Americans are aware that children in Mexico cross the border to attend our schools.

https://www.chron.com/opinion/outloo...ol-1807611.php
Same amount of Canadians who are aware Americans cross the border to use their health care system--something Sarah Palin admitted to doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies