Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 10:48 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,979,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Yes, but, our local Walmart, in a town of 8,000 had $300,000 in sales yesterday. A normal Tuesday. one of the slowest days of the week.
So on a slow day, they probably made a profit of about $3,000 to $6,000. Seems pretty bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 01:26 PM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Yes, but, our local Walmart, in a town of 8,000 had $300,000 in sales yesterday. A normal Tuesday. one of the slowest days of the week.
You realize that has to carry them when they have days that just keeping the store open, employees and all, actually costs them money, no? Brick and mortar retail has notoriously thin profit margins.

Why don't people know that? It's easy enough to look up a publicly-traded company's profit margin.

Old 11-28-2018, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
You realize that has to carry them when they have days that just keeping the store open, employees and all, actually costs them money, no? Brick and mortar retail has notoriously thin profit margins.

Why don't people know that? It's easy enough to look up a publicly-traded company's profit margin.
Especially where groceries are involved, as compared to other industries.

Old 11-28-2018, 02:31 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Walmart spend 20 billion on stock buybacks this year, why anyone would feel bad for them is just bizarre. All grocery stores have low margins, they make their money on volume. Doesn't it strike you as odd that an employee owned grocery store like Winco can pay their employees more than Walmart, sell the same products for less money and fund pensions with an ESOP
https://www.forbes.com/sites/maryjos.../#68a97eb95700

Old 11-28-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Walmart spend 20 billion on stock buybacks this year, why anyone would feel bad for them is just bizarre. All grocery stores have low margins, they make their money on volume. Doesn't it strike you as odd that an employee owned grocery store like Winco can pay their employees more than Walmart, sell the same products for less money and fund pensions with an ESOP
https://www.forbes.com/sites/maryjos.../#68a97eb95700
Good for them. Let Winco do their thing and let Walmart do their thing. Two different business models, you cant apply some sort of cookie cutter model here just because your hypothesized end result makes you feel good.

Old 11-28-2018, 02:37 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Good for them. Let Winco do their thing and let Walmart do their thing. Two different business models, you cant apply some sort of cookie cutter model here just because your hypothesized end result makes you feel good.
You probably should look up hypothesis in the dictionary

Old 11-28-2018, 02:40 PM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
As to my earlier post, in which I said it's easy enough to look up a company's profit margin, here's an example...

The left incessantly whines about health insurance companies raking in the dough. Well... not really. HCSG, the 4th largest health insurer in the US and a parent group of BC/BS in several states with Illinois and Texas accounting for 83% of its business, only has a profit margin of 5.15%.

https://ycharts.com/companies/HCSG/profit_margin

Compare that to the "Top Ten" most profitable list:

Top 10 Most Profitable Industries and their Profit Margins

Old 11-28-2018, 02:48 PM

Quote:
You probably should look up hypothesis in the dictionary
Oh, so its a fact that Walmart can pull off what that other store you referenced is doing? Thats fascinating, let me know when I can rent some time with your crystal ball.

Old 11-29-2018, 06:19 AM

59,082 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
lol do you buy your clothes from there? That's the ugliest $hit I've seen in a long time.

I'm sick of hearing about how unions drive costs up,You just parrot the conservative catechism - line, chapter and verse.
"That's the ugliest $hit I've seen in a long time. "

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!"

Didn't YOU claim you couldn't find American made PANTS? Why are you deflecting to shirts?

"I'm sick of hearing about how unions drive costs up"

And I am SICK of die hard union people DENYING IT!

" union membership has gone down and prices still have gone up but you have zero explanation for that, do you?"

I do, but it would be over your head!.

You just parrot the liberal union catechism - line, chapter and verse.

See how easy that is.

P.S. I not only was a union member but, a union STEWARD and was very active in my union so I DO know something about them..

Old 11-29-2018, 06:25 AM

59,082 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
And?

It has NOTHING to do with ANNUALLY they have between 1 and 2% NET PROFIT.

MANY stores make around 80% of their sales during the Xmas season. WITHOUT a GOOD Xmas season they will go OUT of business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies