Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 08:06 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,362,770 times

Advertisements

Of course they CAN pay more, but they know that’ll cut into their profits.

Old 11-24-2018, 08:07 AM

11,368 posts, read 11,117,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I agree with you but in Walmart world seniority and skill don't seem to matter much. When newbies are brought it at the same wage it took so many to get to there was a LOT of anger and angst because it was felt that the long timers should've been given substantial raises as well. Didn't happen and won't happen.
My 8 years weren't worth any more than a new associate.
This may be the saddest post I or anyone else on CD reads all day. Does this company put a gun to the heads of their associates? Why do people stay there? And if someone has been there eight years, why have they not worked their way into the realm of management yet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2018, 08:09 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,939,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
"We" are paying the salaries for Walmart employees because many of them use welfare benefits. So if you are against Walmart paying their employees more because "shelf-stockers don't need to make $15 per hour," then you are basically agreeing to pay for their EBT cards, Medicaid, and so on. You can't really have it both ways. Either you support a living wage or you support welfare. Since Walmart is not going to cease to exist and since in many areas, it is one of the only employment opportunities available to low-skilled workers (or even skilled workers...), the problem is not going to go away. Walmart hires only adults, not teenagers. It is adults, many who are trying to support families, who work there.

What is the solution? If nothing happens, then nothing happens: The employees will continue to use welfare benefits that the "don't raise minimum wage!" crowd complain about.

The majority of Walmart associates don't get EBT/Medicaid and if they do get any EBT it's a very small amount, like less than $20 month. If they have kids and are a single mom then they likely do get 'some' but even so not as much as those who aren't working. As a cashier I was privy to who had EBT cards and it really isn't all that many. The general public really has no idea but continues to believe things haven't changed over the years. A lot has believe me!

Walmart does hire teenagers over the age of 16 but they are very stringent in their rules for kids working. Summers and holidays are especially good for kids to work and they actually turn out to be good workers most of the time. They haven't become cynical adults yet!

Old 11-24-2018, 08:10 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,750,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The solution is always "one size fits all". Make WalMart/Target, etc. have a higher minimum and you'll hear Mom and Pop Sundries scream because they'll lose employees.

DC just raised the minimum for tipped wait staff to $15/hour through referendum (the DC Mayor and Council are now working to reverse that). The main opponents to the referendum were................tipped wait staff.
I can see the issue for waitstaff in small restaurants that might close up shop or greatly reduce hours available. That's the same issue for Mom and Pop Sundries and their employees.

I don't know that it has to be one-size-fits-all. Employers of a certain size have to offer health insurance and FMLA and things like that, and small businesses don't. I also don't think Ma and Pa would lose all of their employees. People who work at a small shop might really abhor the idea of working at Walmart. There would be plenty of people working in the lower-paying positions. For example, Aldi starts cashiers at $11/hour and plenty of people still work at Walmart, which is literally in the same plaza in my city and which pays much less. People also still work at the small produce store, the small butcher, and the other small businesses.

Old 11-24-2018, 08:12 AM

45,579 posts, read 60,955,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
The majority of Walmart associates don't get EBT/Medicaid and if they do get any EBT it's a very small amount, like less than $20 month. If they have kids and are a single mom then they likely do get 'some' but even so not as much as those who aren't working. As a cashier I was privy to who had EBT cards and it really isn't all that many. The general public really has no idea but continues to believe things haven't changed over the years. A lot has believe me!

Walmart does hire teenagers over the age of 16 but they are very stringent in their rules for kids working. Summers and holidays are especially good for kids to work and they actually turn out to be good workers most of the time. They haven't become cynical adults yet!
Yeah, I was going to say that when I was teaching several of my students worked weekends at WalMart while they were still in school. What made it more impressive was they lived 20 miles away.

Old 11-24-2018, 08:16 AM

2,362 posts, read 782,592 times
It's really quite simple, if Walmart is not paying a living wage then taxpayers will be on the hook for medicaid, food stamps, affordable housing, the works.

Also, unemployment should mean something. There shouldn't be a situation where a person has to choose between working a job that won't make even meager ends meet to not working at all. If someone is employed at Walmart, they should be able to pay rent, have healthcare, and food, and some other things - basically have some dignity.

The US already has a minimum wage. No need for a paradigm shift, just increase that wage to at least take into account all the inflation that has happened since it was first instituted.

Old 11-24-2018, 08:17 AM

7,102 posts, read 6,019,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Bernie Sanders has determined for Walmart how much they should be paying their workers.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...mn/2068959002/
A possible solution could be written into corporate law. In a fiscal year, if your corporation earns a profit, the workers who earned you that profit should be awarded a bonus. Perhaps like 10% of those profits. Instead of all going to shareholders, give some back to the people who got you there.

Old 11-24-2018, 08:19 AM

2,362 posts, read 782,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
A possible solution could be written into corporate law. In a fiscal year, if your corporation earns a profit, the workers who earned you that profit should be awarded a bonus. Perhaps like 10% of those profits. Instead of all going to shareholders, give some back to the people who got you there.
Or the workers could unionize. The corporations are already organized, the workers are not. Such an unequal playing field. You wonder why it's so hard to fire police officers? Because they have good unions.

Old 11-24-2018, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
This may be the saddest post I or anyone else on CD reads all day. Does this company put a gun to the heads of their associates? Why do people stay there? And if someone has been there eight years, why have they not worked their way into the realm of management yet?

Small town and they are THE largest employer in the entire area.

I am 76 years old and I'm not interested in management. BTDT in other jobs and now I just want to do my job and go home. BUT my job has always been stressful and physically/mentally wearing. And dealing with the public ain't easy sometimes. I've been doing it for 50 years between restaurants, hotels and retail. That's why I quit five months ago but I'm doing okay now and ready to go back.

People are promoted every day at my store and many of them are already hitting the $20 hour mark but they've been there since Adam and Eve were around. I know there's a cap on wages and many have already hit that. Some of those people have been there for 25 years!

Old 11-24-2018, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Yeah, I was going to say that when I was teaching several of my students worked weekends at WalMart while they were still in school. What made it more impressive was they lived 20 miles away.

We have a few who drive about 20 miles one way too. They seem to feel it's worth it. And they really are good kids and good workers. I was a cashier trainer my last two years and I was always pleased that they were so anxious to learn and do well. Some of the high schoolers I trained and worked with are now in college and still work there part time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies