Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 05:59 PM

2,185 posts, read 1,382,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
At one point, the majority of adults in this nation would have agreed that blacks should be treated as sub-human. At one point, a majority of Germans may have agreed with Hitler's arguments and policies. Doesn't mean they turned out to be right.

Human rights issues do not necessarily work out well on the basis of simple majority preference.

Being black is a state, while homosexuality is a behavior. There is no human right to have sex with someone of the same gender and society is allowed to regulate social behavior which is why marriage and divorce take place before judges and witnesses. Liberty and being libertine are two different things.

Old 11-24-2018, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post

An ex-Mormon I know who (since leaving the church) identifies as an Atheist (and is a lifelong California resident) told me (right after that election) that groups in one way or another associated with the Mormon church provided significant funding to help get Prop 8 passed.

That this documentary (link below) came out two years later supports that assertion:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8%3A_T...on_Proposition

Your link says the church denies it.

Old 11-24-2018, 06:06 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Yes they should. That said who makes the USA the moral authority to dictate to others? Not saying that you said that we should, but many believe we should. This is what causes the USA so many problems around the world.

Taiwan made a choice, their choice. We dont have to agree, we can simply avoid going to places that offend our own sense of morality. I travel a lot, but I will never travel to Saudi Arabia, Iran, Libya or North Korea for example. LOL I also won't travel to more than a few places in the USA.
I agree - we're not the morality police and I don't really care what they're doing in other countries, although I think pushing gays off of buildings is wrong and insane.

The OP had to cite another country to defend his / her defense of being anti-gay marriage. Perhaps that would be a great place for him/her to relocate since their morals are more aligned, apparently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post

An ex-Mormon I know who (since leaving the church) identifies as an Atheist (and is a lifelong California resident) told me (right after that election) that groups in one way or another associated with the Mormon church provided significant funding to help get Prop 8 passed.

That this documentary (link below) came out two years later supports that assertion:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8%3A_T...on_Proposition
I wish I'd known that before writing my initial post. It would have saved so much time just blaming the Mormons.

Old 11-24-2018, 06:10 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorel36 View Post
Try reading kid it will take you places.

Yeah I was wondering what is SK anyway...Slovakia ?
I was thinking poster meant South Korea.

Old 11-24-2018, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
The OP had to cite another country to defend his / her defense of being anti-gay marriage. Perhaps that would be a great place for him/her to relocate since their morals are more aligned, apparently.

The majority of people in North America reject it. I suggest you move to Ireland where it was allowed by referendum.

As I said, the mormon church denies the claim made in that documentary is true. I grew up in the mormon church and they are very conservative as a group.

Old 11-24-2018, 06:13 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,880,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I agree - we're not the morality police and I don't really care what they're doing in other countries, although I think pushing gays off of buildings is wrong and insane.

I wish I'd known that before writing my initial post. It would have saved so much time just blaming the Mormons.
Yeah some have an unreasonable hatred towards gay people. Likely caused by a complete lack of understanding and having never really known any gay folks.

Im not gay and really dont get it, but hey whatever floats their boat. The gay people I know are really nice people and dont behave like the alleged stereotypes.

Where I live now there is a fairly substantial transgender community. I dont try to avoid them, nor do I try to meet and greet. I just treat them like anyone else I meet. The common thing between all people? We all just want to live our lives and have the same freedoms.

Old 11-24-2018, 06:15 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,880,554 times
Quote:
The majority of people in North America reject it. I suggest you move to Ireland where it was allowed by referendum.

As I said, the mormon church denies the claim made in that documentary is true. I grew up in the mormon church and they are very conservative as a group.
Yes yes and at one time the majority of people rejected allowing women to vote, equal rights for minorities, and allowing g blacks to marry whites. We evolved.

Old 11-24-2018, 06:21 PM

900 posts, read 375,577 times
Who cares ? Taiwan is an island that awaits the day when China will tire of being pious in its civil rebellion and will in fact exercise control under its territory, ending its democracy and forcing them accepet the power of Beijing and this day will be the end Kuomintang.

If I were a taiwan lgbt I would not worry about gay marriage, since the final destination of the nation will be annexation by communist China.

Old 11-24-2018, 06:23 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Landslide victory for the opponents. As usual, homosexual marriage can almost only be made legal through the courts, as there are way too many rational people out there.
You've already forgotten how your side lost the Australian referendum 60-40?

Quote:
As a reminder, in 2008 California rejected it 52% against and 48 % for.
I was there. The Prop 8 backers lied their Christian rearsides off to engineer that result. And the Mormons went out of their way to finance the lies.

Old 11-24-2018, 06:23 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:

I don't care about North America - I care about the United States of America, and here, 62% of Americans support same sex marriage.

Changing Attitudes on Gay Marriage | Pew Research Center
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies