Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: should we stop the NFL from marketing overseas?
liberal: yes put the kibosh on these plans, pronto. 1 2.86%
liberal: no, let the NFL do what they wish, even if it costs lives. 3 8.57%
conservative: yes put the kibosh on these plans, pronto. 2 5.71%
conservative: no, let the NFL do what they wish, even if it costs lives. 8 22.86%
independent: yes put the kibosh on these plans, pronto. 5 14.29%
independent: no, let the NFL do what they wish, even if it costs lives. 8 22.86%
other (please explain below). 8 22.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 10:28 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,614,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
I don't see a problem with a team in London. There are ways to make that work logistically.

I am against seeing a team in Mexico. They are a third world country that needs to get their act together first.

I'm fine with seeing an expansion team in Canada, but they already have the CFL, so that would likely create issues.
Yes because nothing screams "first world American exceptionalism" like watching a bunch of over paid men wearing tights & helmets bashing their brains and bodies to score a touchdown.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2018, 10:37 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,317,473 times
There are no laws I am aware of that prohibit the NFL from either broadcasting or playing outside if the States. I remember watching NFL on TV when we only had 2 channels on TV.

Why not ask if Walmart should be allowed to expand in Europe or CNN being watched outside of America? And bans would be in those other countries.

I prefer CFL to the NFL but unfortunately it's expansion into the States failed. Baltimore won one Grey Cup but never really had a real name most of the time. Grey Cup tommorrow playing in Edmonton and it might be warm, above freezing. ☺

Old 11-24-2018, 11:40 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,569,560 times
As my dad always says..."it doesnt effect my life one bit whether team A beats team B, or vice versa".

I have plenty of friends that like to follow and watch football and other sports, and I have noticed for some of them, its more about the city they live in, or where they are from, they will support and root for THAT team specifically, sort of like hometown pride kind of thing, more so than, this is a football I really like and support.

One girl I know like the Saints football team, but she will tell you, its only because she like the state/city, they represent (New Orleans in her case), shes not so much a Saints football fan...more of a New Orleans city fan.

Old 11-24-2018, 11:43 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,404,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
US football tried to expand overseas. It didn't take.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Europe
The name football was already taken by a different sport.

Old 11-25-2018, 01:26 AM

2,486 posts, read 823,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Why is your poll so polarizing. Why does it matter your party affiliation. A simple yes or no in your poll would suffice.
Silly rabbit, EVERYTHING IS POLITICAL to a zealot! You know this.
Let's see
According to the op, all that should be banned is:

Armour Underwear
Apple
Nike
Adidas
Pro Sports
NFL
NBA
MLB
MLS
NHL
NCAAF
NCAAB W/M

ah hell, everything should be banned!

Maybe the poll should be:
Do you want to live in my demented world?
NO

I find it hysterical that 10 people actually voted when the op is an obvious - well - you know!

No op after the first post. Getting off on the whatever this is.

I think football should be banned!
BS the op wants you to jump through his hoops for kicks!
A bored 12 year old, or worse, an adult who is a 12 year old.

Last edited by Originalist; 11-25-2018 at 01:38 AM..

Old 11-25-2018, 04:37 AM

37,948 posts, read 17,844,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
The choices are accurate, though. Football has had numerous suicides due to the CTE issue. Several players have shot themselves in the chest because they wanted their brain intact, so that doctors could diagnose their CTE.

If you don't like the choices, well that is why I provided the 'other' option. Guess you didn't bother to read the poll before you ranted about it.
lol I read the entire poll and it's still a dumb way to phrase it.

Old 11-25-2018, 04:40 AM

27,118 posts, read 13,413,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
I don't see a problem with a team in London. There are ways to make that work logistically.

I am against seeing a team in Mexico. They are a third world country that needs to get their act together first.

I'm fine with seeing an expansion team in Canada, but they already have the CFL, so that would likely create issues.

London has hosted NFL Games at Wembley (capacity 90,000) and Twickenham (82,000), whilst the new Tottenham Hotspur stadium (62,000) will have a retractable pitch so both Soccer and American football can be played on it. NHL games have been played in Europe in the past including at the O2 Arena (20,000) in London, as have NBA games and the MBL has recently announced a series of games to be played at the former 2012 Olmpic Stadium in London nowk nown as the London Stadium which has a capacity of 55,000 in relation to baseball games. As for the logistics many these arenas and sports grounds are multi-use and the logistics are not a major problem in relation to London.

The New Tottenham retractable stadium pitch.

Last edited by Brave New World; 11-25-2018 at 05:08 AM..

Old 11-25-2018, 04:43 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,237,495 times
Quote:
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/22/look...-overseas.html

The NFL has realized that it can sell only so many $100 made-in-China jerseys to the US market. After all, we are only about 4% of world population. The league wants to tap into overseas markets. That's why they've held a game in London, and scheduled one in Mexico (it was cancelled).

I realize that we can't totally ban the NFL here in the US. It is like cigarettes and booze: too entrenched to ban. But I think that we could stop it from expanding overseas. If we had a deadly or disabling disease that broke out, wouldn't we do everything within our power to keep it from spreading to other countries? Well, the NFL is just that. We now know this from the studies of football and head trauma.

I think the congress should act to put the kibosh on these plans of the NFL. What do you think?
Why do you care if the NFL expands overseas?
Congress has MUCH MORE IMPORTANT work to be doing, than wasting time on regulating the NFL !

Old 11-25-2018, 08:12 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,809,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
No that is just stupid. I'm moderate and let me say I work for a sub-contractor who works with the NFL. The NFL has gone international before though NFL Europe failed in the end. Mexico City and London have hosted neutral site games before and many have pushed for a team in London (which has logistic nightmares as does the neutral site games themselves.) If the NFL can figure out a way for a London team to work, I think it would happen bit logistically it won't.

As for government intervention to stop this, this is entirely overreaching and I'm for a number of government interventionary processes (FDA, EPA, tobacco, monopolies, etc.) This is just out of their reach.

agreed, we cannot force teh NFL to stop making plans for expansion beyond the borders of this country. if the government can do that then what cant the government do? too much power in the hands of the power hungry morons we call elected officials.

do i agree with the NFL expanding? yes i do. have they failed doing it in the past? yes they have. but getting the NFL brand out there for the world to see is necessary for the NFL if they wish to continue to grow. and as with any business, if it doesnt grow, it rots on the vine.

Old 11-25-2018, 09:32 AM

6,214 posts, read 3,401,097 times
Quote:
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/22/look...-overseas.html

The NFL has realized that it can sell only so many $100 made-in-China jerseys to the US market. After all, we are only about 4% of world population. The league wants to tap into overseas markets. That's why they've held a game in London, and scheduled one in Mexico (it was cancelled).

I realize that we can't totally ban the NFL here in the US. It is like cigarettes and booze: too entrenched to ban. But I think that we could stop it from expanding overseas. If we had a deadly or disabling disease that broke out, wouldn't we do everything within our power to keep it from spreading to other countries? Well, the NFL is just that. We now know this from the studies of football and head trauma.

I think the congress should act to put the kibosh on these plans of the NFL. What do you think?

I think you need a safe room, that what I think.

What the hell does clothing being manufacturing in China have to do with football played in foreign lands?

Side note: When Seattle played in London a couple weeks ago the attendance was 86K! Larger than any attendance in any football stadium in the US that weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies