Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: should we stop the NFL from marketing overseas?
liberal: yes put the kibosh on these plans, pronto. 1 2.86%
liberal: no, let the NFL do what they wish, even if it costs lives. 3 8.57%
conservative: yes put the kibosh on these plans, pronto. 2 5.71%
conservative: no, let the NFL do what they wish, even if it costs lives. 8 22.86%
independent: yes put the kibosh on these plans, pronto. 5 14.29%
independent: no, let the NFL do what they wish, even if it costs lives. 8 22.86%
other (please explain below). 8 22.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 11:11 AM

6,061 posts, read 2,011,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
Unbelievable poll. As in I can't believe people literally do think this way.

I've decided I don't like chocolate. It is addictive, and simply makes people obese; it serves no other purpose.

There is NO QUESTION we should put the KIBOSH on chocolate. Of course, this is in keeping with the fact that government regulations can regulate our society into Utopia, without question. In fact, the more regulation the better.

I will be sure to break the poll into liberal, conservative, and independent choices, for some reason. Oh, I'll also be sure to word the choices "No, leave chocolate alone and allow thousands to continue to die of obesity every year".
I expected responses like this. It is basically the 'false dilemma' fallacy. We could regulate both chocolate and the NFL. Or one but not the other. Or neither. There is no logical reason why we couldn't regulate the NFL, but not chocolate. I would actually favor regulating both. As you point out, hundreds of thousands of Americans do die from obesity each year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Same here. How the hell does the NFL cost lives?
I am surprised this question is even necessary. Have you heard of Junior Seau, Dave Duerson, and Aaron Hernandez? Here are some others. Plus there are those like Warren Sapp, who has memory issues to the point where he can't get through his day without a phone app to help him remember things.

https://sbindependent.org/nfl-athlet...itted-suicide/

Old 11-26-2018, 11:18 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Creeping globalism. Stop it now!

Old 11-26-2018, 11:20 AM

13,961 posts, read 5,628,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
I am surprised this question is even necessary. Have you heard of Junior Seau, Dave Duerson, and Aaron Hernandez? Here are some others. Plus there are those like Warren Sapp, who has memory issues to the point where he can't get through his day without a phone app to help him remember things.

https://sbindependent.org/nfl-athlet...itted-suicide/
And again, soccer has a higher rate and total incidence of brain injury than American football.

Such a f***ing busybody. Do you ever get tired of trying to find new things to control and more lives t run as you see fit?

Old 11-26-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
There are no laws I am aware of that prohibit the NFL from either broadcasting or playing outside if the States. I remember watching NFL on TV when we only had 2 channels on TV.

Why not ask if Walmart should be allowed to expand in Europe or CNN being watched outside of America? And bans would be in those other countries.

I prefer CFL to the NFL but unfortunately it's expansion into the States failed. Baltimore won one Grey Cup but never really had a real name most of the time. Grey Cup tommorrow playing in Edmonton and it might be warm, above freezing. ☺
I expected this question too. In the 1990's President Clinton put very onerous restrictions on tobacco advertising. Before that, companies routinely handed out free stuff (hats, shirts etc) with their brand-names plastered on them. Clinton banned that. Joe Camel was banned as appealing to minors.

At the time, many protested that this was a first amendment violation, but evidently it has been upheld by the courts. We could do the exact same thing regarding the NFL, and in particular the efforts to boost its popularity overseas.

Old 11-26-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
And again, soccer has a higher rate and total incidence of brain injury than American football.

Such a f***ing busybody. Do you ever get tired of trying to find new things to control and more lives t run as you see fit?
As I understand it, most of the trauma in soccer is due to 'heading.' (propelling the ball by hitting it with the head instead of kicking it). Soccer rules could and should be easily changed to eliminate 'heading.' Again, this is a 'false dilemma' fallacy.

Old 11-26-2018, 12:25 PM

13,961 posts, read 5,628,343 times
Quote:
As I understand it, most of the trauma in soccer is due to 'heading.' (propelling the ball by hitting it with the head instead of kicking it). Soccer rules could and should be easily changed to eliminate 'heading.' Again, this is a 'false dilemma' fallacy.
No, you moved the goalposts.

You said we should not export NFL football because we'd be exporting something that cases head injuries. And my point is that we'd be exporting a sport that has less head injuries than the sport already more popular than our version of football, thus exporting a safer alternative to what the soccer fan already enjoys.

Now your goalpost is we should eliminate all things that have a risk of causing head injury, period?

Is that the new endpoint for today's busybody musings?

Old 11-26-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
No, you moved the goalposts.

You said we should not export NFL football because we'd be exporting something that cases head injuries. And my point is that we'd be exporting a sport that has less head injuries than the sport already more popular than our version of football, thus exporting a safer alternative to what the soccer fan already enjoys.

Now your goalpost is we should eliminate all things that have a risk of causing head injury, period?

Is that the new endpoint for today's busybody musings?
I would completely ban the NFL if I could, but as I said in #1, it is too entrenched, like booze and cigarettes. But it is not yet entrenched overseas, which is why I think we have a shot to restrict the export.

Soccer is entrenched around the world. If it could be made safer by banning the 'headers,' why not do that?

Old 11-26-2018, 01:01 PM

Voting is quite a disappointment. Thus far only 8 (including me) vote yes, 16 vote no. That is a 2-1 margin. I guess most people don't care about the health, safety, and wellness of folks overseas.

Old 11-26-2018, 01:30 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Voting is quite a disappointment. Thus far only 8 (including me) vote yes, 16 vote no. That is a 2-1 margin. I guess most people don't care about the health, safety, and wellness of folks overseas.
I have absolutely zero care about people who engage voluntarily in a sport with known risks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies