Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 10:41 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelogo View Post
That's the problem, A lot of people buy what is advertised and what others do. If this catches up, I dare to say that is even dangerous to children. Part of our development as children is being affected by colors, cartoons that shows masculinity/femininity, etc. Erasing this from children's growing environment will have damaging effects. To put in in religious terms it will kill our human soul.

Even for those who don't believe in souls and think this is "cute", the symbolism has psychological effect that are not even understood by most people. Skulls are symbols of death, different crosses have different meanings, there are reasons why priests wear certain colors, etc.

Advertising to kids should be illegal, they have no purchasing power, all it does is make them nag their parents. I think an appropriate age to pick whatever they want to put on is 14 or puberty, whatever comes first.
I read this, and all I can think is...drama queen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2018, 10:45 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,586,521 times
What is all the fuss about? When you get right down to it, jeans and a t-shirt are also pretty damn "gender-neutral."

Don't like it? Don't buy it.

Old 11-25-2018, 10:53 AM

2,849 posts, read 4,520,659 times
the baggy crotch thing - what the heck? there's gender neutral & then theres.....plenty of room in my pants to shoplift stuff

what's with the big A on the shirts? i got the "new order" thing & the random alphabet thing, but the "A"? i highly doubt it's a reference to adulterer

Old 11-25-2018, 11:07 AM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 1 day ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,599,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelogo View Post
I hope people are not sick enough to put those horrible clothes on their little ones. At 1:16 children wearing skulls, crosses, black and white, "new order". Instead of looking like innocent children they look like small drug addicts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yCDZcc2hxc
Fashion tastes are extremely subjective. Even going along with your own personal tastes in fashion, how do you know there's no possibility of a tasteful type of non-gendered clothing? Hence, ugliness of one kind of clothing doesn't invalidate the notion of gender neutral clothing - any more than ugly examples of highly male or highly female clothing doesn't invalidate the general notion of male clothing and female clothing in general.

Old 11-25-2018, 11:26 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Right now? Skulls have been on trend since my kids were in elementary school more than a decade ago.
I was replying to that poster who is seemingly stuck in their ways that it isn't OK to be on clothing. A lot of this is about not knowing or hating new trends by the "get off my lawn" crowd.

Old 11-25-2018, 12:04 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,399,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
What is all the fuss about? When you get right down to it, jeans and a t-shirt are also pretty damn "gender-neutral."

Don't like it? Don't buy it.
True. However, certain types of clothing are perhaps more commonly worn by girls than boys and vice versa. From a practical standpoint, making gender-neutral clothing at times is pathetic because you have to account for the anatomical differences between boys and girls from some clothing styles. For example, maybe certain shirts should be designed to be comfortable for girls with big boobs.

Old 11-25-2018, 12:28 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,586,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
True. However, certain types of clothing are perhaps more commonly worn by girls than boys and vice versa. From a practical standpoint, making gender-neutral clothing at times is pathetic because you have to account for the anatomical differences between boys and girls from some clothing styles. For example, maybe certain shirts should be designed to be comfortable for girls with big boobs.
I have literally no idea what you are talking about. I'm fairly well-endowed in terms of boobage, and haven't been harmed by a shirt yet.

Old 11-25-2018, 12:34 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I have literally no idea what you are talking about. I'm fairly well-endowed in terms of boobage, and haven't been harmed by a shirt yet.
Can relate. I was blessed with vast tracks of land, too, and the vast majority of my wardrobe is t-shirts and jeans.

Old 11-25-2018, 12:38 PM

1,675 posts, read 576,711 times
Quote:
By the time they have boobs they are adolescents and choose they own clothing anyways. Some people may think they are "cute", but I am trying to point out the physiological and psychological effects on children. I already mentioned the symbolism, I'd rather put a flower on a little girl than a cross, or some cartoon rather than a skull. But even physiologically, Will people let an 8 year old wear heels because she wants to? When they says let the kids decide, they actually mean: let the advertiser decide.

Old 11-25-2018, 12:40 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Men's clothing is typically unisex. That said, men's clothing wears much differently on women than men. Men have worn more pink of late, women have worn more men's styles of late. Not that women don't wear women's clothes either, but the clothing gender issue has been smashed for sometime now. If you don't like it, don't buy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies