Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 12:44 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,115,163 times

Advertisements

Might as well ask my question here.

Am I the only one with trouble understanding black people accent? Some call it Ebonics. English is not my first language. I'm sometimes scared of talking to q black person, especially one from the inner city, because I really have trouble unders5anding their accent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2018, 01:33 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
The authors also presented this equally plausible explanation:

Dupree and Fiske suspect that the behavior stems from a liberal person’s desire to connect with other races. One possible reason for the “competence downshift,” as the authors describe it, is that, regardless of race, people tend to downplay their competence when they want to appear likeable and friendly. But it’s also possible that “this is happening because people are using common stereotypes in an effort to get along,” Dupree says.

Perhaps conservatives don't sincerely want to connect....so it's equally interesting the explanation that people choose to accept.

Old 11-25-2018, 01:51 PM

3,458 posts, read 1,455,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
That basically said it was underpowered because republicans don't interact with blacks much lol
I didn't find humor in that statement.

Old 11-25-2018, 01:55 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,875,132 times
the tone of this feels weird. it feels like a lot of white conservatives pointing at racist white liberals and saying "see, they're racist too"! i don't know. i feel like both white conservatives and white liberals, instead of pointing fingers at each other, need to realize that other people exist and listen to other people's opinions... and not just what another white person thinks about them. it's like none of y'all really care what minorities opinions really are, you just use minorities as weapons to get at the other side.

Old 11-25-2018, 01:55 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
White liberals, unlike conservatives, dumb down their vocabularies when communicating with black people.

No wonder black people often seemed annoyed living on college campuses and among gentrifiers in urban neighborhoods.

https://insights.som.yale.edu/insigh...ican-americans

"White Liberals Present Themselves as Less Competent in Interactions with African-Americans", by Steve Sailer - The Unz Review
So.... the white commies kick in some Ebonics, to fit in.
They are fake.

Old 11-25-2018, 01:57 PM

12,962 posts, read 13,676,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post

Am I the only one with trouble understanding black people accent? Some call it Ebonics. English is not my first language. I'm sometimes scared of talking to q black person, especially one from the inner city, because I really have trouble unders5anding their accent.
When I was in Appalachia a little girl told me she wanted a "back" for Christmas. I said what? all the other kids chimmed in a "back. " A teacher told me "bike."

Old 11-25-2018, 02:00 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post

I don't have this issue, but I have a very hard time understanding people from certain parts of Louisiana and Mississippi who have a thick accent. I also have a hard time understanding Australian and British accents on television shows and will usually choose to use the captioning (but I had very minimal difficulty when I was in London a couple years ago). I work with foreign teens who have a wide variety of accents and I am generally pretty good with understanding them, so it is frustrating and weird to me that I have trouble deciphering the accents of some native English speakers.

It is what it is. It isn't anything to be afraid of. If you make it a point to speak clearly yourself and to say "I'm sorry, I didn't understand that. Can you repeat it?" the other person will generally also strive to speak more clearly. Also, the more you are exposed to an accent or dialect, the easier it is to understand.

Old 11-25-2018, 02:06 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,120,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
When I was in Appalachia a little girl told me she wanted a "back" for Christmas. I said what? all the other kids chimmed in a "back. " A teacher told me "bike."
You should have told her to AXE Santa for one!

Old 11-25-2018, 02:16 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
the tone of this feels weird. it feels like a lot of white conservatives pointing at racist white liberals and saying "see, they're racist too"! i don't know. i feel like both white conservatives and white liberals, instead of pointing fingers at each other, need to realize that other people exist and listen to other people's opinions... and not just what another white person thinks about them. it's like none of y'all really care what minorities opinions really are, you just use minorities as weapons to get at the other side.
I feel the same way.

Ever hear of "code switching"? That's something people of color are very used to doing in various situations. It sounds like a lot of white people, regardless of political ideology (though not all) are just not used to doing because they're used to be in culturally dominant situations, so they have less need to do that.

Problem is, code switching is something that has to be developed or practiced so it looks natural. Most white people aren't adept at that, and if they're trying to use, say, black vernacular, to a group of African Americans, if they're not practiced in it, it looks awkward or even patronizing.

One of the few Caucasians who can pull that off is Father Michael Pfleger of St. Sabina's in Chicago, a Catholic priest who serves a predominantly African American parish, and is well known for his social and community activism. And that's because he's authentic and shows it with his actions.

Old 11-25-2018, 04:53 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,880,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
Maybe you did....I sure didn't!
Yeah ok Noah, its a coincidence that humans and chimps share 96% DNA and that we are 10times more closely related than are mice and rats.

But you are a Marine so I'll cut you slack. hahaha Marines are the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies