Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 06:04 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post

If a Politician from Michigan or New Hampshire or Massachusetts campaigns in the South and uses "yall" or eats grits, or goes to the Iowa State fair and eats deep fried butter,or goes to Louisiana and eats crawfish and says "Laissez les bons temps rouler", they are absolutely modifying their speech and behavioral patterns.

That doesnt make it a negative, and that is the flaw in the premise, assigning the negative.
No, you've just added your own parameters to the study. That's not even what it addressed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2018, 06:21 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,183,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
Maybe you did....I sure didn't!
FYI

"Human evolution is the lengthy process of change by which people originated from apelike ancestors. Scientific evidence shows that the physical and behavioral traits shared by all people originated from apelike ancestors and evolved over a period of approximately six million years.

One of the earliest defining human traits, bipedalism -- the ability to walk on two legs -- evolved over 4 million years ago. Other important human characteristics -- such as a large and complex brain, the ability to make and use tools, and the capacity for language -- developed more recently. Many advanced traits -- including complex symbolic expression, art, and elaborate cultural diversity -- emerged mainly during the past 100,000 years..." Source: Introduction to Human Evolution | The Smithsonian Institution's Human Origins Program

Old 11-25-2018, 06:28 PM

482 posts, read 242,082 times
Liberals crack me up. When I used to live in Houston, we had these crispy white hipster neighbors from Denver that were afraid to say anything to the black family on the other side of them that would let their kids blast music into the middle of the night from their tree-house. I remember this pathetic guy that told us that the music was keeping them up at night, but they didn't want to say anything because they didn't want the family to think that they had a problem with the type of music that was being played.

They finally said something to one of the kids one day when they were walking by after coming home from school. The kids apologized and said "no problem" when asked to keep it down, but my brother told these clowns like 10 minutes later that they had better go and apologize because the last people that lived there almost got beat down by the parents for the same thing. This poor idiot was actually going to go over there and apologize to the parents before my brother clued him in that he was just messing with them....SMH

Old 11-25-2018, 06:28 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,544 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
No, you've just added your own parameters to the study. That's not even what it addressed.
Im guessing you didn't read the article. It says it bases its hypothosis on words it defines as competent and less competent, and says that comes from political speeches in black churchs.

Old 11-25-2018, 06:39 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,753,799 times
Quote:
Im guessing you didn't read the article. It says it bases its hypothosis on words it defines as competent and less competent, and says that comes from political speeches in black churchs.
The hypothesis was partly based on speeches, but the actual experiments they ran were with individuals communicating with other individuals. And no, the words themselves aren't competent or less competent... What they mean is that when you have a large vocabulary, and show that you know how to use it, you are displaying competence.

Old 11-25-2018, 07:52 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I agree - it seems to have gotten off track.

Old 11-25-2018, 07:58 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,875,030 times
It isn't just limited to blacks.
Kerry's attempt to be one with rural whites is classic. "I'm here to get me a hunting license."

Old 11-25-2018, 08:02 PM

12,960 posts, read 9,473,611 times
Quote:
I understand that both the author and many posting dont actually want to discuss this, but the study(or rather its result) is ill titled.

Do you define it as dumbing down or "Less Competent " when people like Mitt Romney tried to talk with a Southern twang and use an entirely different vocabulary than when talking in the North East ? Im guessing not.

the premise in and of itself is flawed.

even its experiment to prove itself shows the same flaw. Melancholy vs sad, LOL. I think the only time I have ever even used the word melancholy was in a essay to make myself sound more sophisticated. No one uses that word in real life or even in a work email.
You can't mention Mitt without mentioning Hillary's speech to a mostly black audience when she came South some years ago (I seem to remember it was in Birmingham, Ala.). She really turned the hick speech on that day. I suppose she thought she was "fitting in", but she was actually being insulting. One would think she would know better having spent quite a bit of time in Arkansas.

Melancholy is a very good word, and one I don't hesitate to use. It doesn't exactly mean sad, but rather closer to being thoughful and reflective. Would I use it in a work email? I doubt it, but I can't imagine talking about my mood in a work email being appropriate.

Old 11-25-2018, 08:07 PM

Quote:
You have the right to believe what you just wrote, but it isnt true.

If you are referring to St. Louis, then you are wrong. White firefighters were promoting other white firefighters and not even considering black candidates for Captain.

The argument is that poor students who tend to be disproportionately black, dont get the same opportunities as other students. I already gave you the New York example,which you seem to be ignoring.

The message is that people shouldnt be judged by one test but rather the body of their work in this case. That seems to be a great message to me ? Why do you wish to hold people back based on their access ?

The very point im making is that they arent dumbing it down and that is what makes you wrong.

Even your firefighter example is actually racism and you are wrongly defending it. Maybe you genuinely never looked passed the headlines(which was the point of the 2 New York examples), but that is also part of the problem.

You are way off with what you're writing here. Not St. Louis - it was Dayton.

And I'm not wrong about lowered standards for college admissions. Have you missed all the talk about the lawsuit filed by Asians against Harvard?

From this article:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/steveco.../#5194203fb736

Quote:
A coalition of 64 Asian-American groups has filed a complaint against Harvard for discriminating against Asian-American kids in admissions. They’re right to assume there is a quota system at work. But they’re wrong that it is targeting Asian Americans. In fact, it is discriminating in favor of Blacks and Hispanics.
The complaint, filed with the U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights, alleges that for Asian-American students to gain admission, they have to have SAT scores 140 points higher than white students, 270 points higher than Hispanic students and 450 points higher than African-American students.
Can you do the math on that? African American's can be admitted with scores that are 450 points lower than what the requirement is for white students and 590 points lower than what the requirement is for Asian students.

If it was REALLY a matter of poverty as you claim, then the requirements would be lower for all students with a household income of X.

That is dumbing it down. Quotas dumb it down, as well, because corporations, government agencies and government services are forced to accept minorities who are not meeting the standards if there weren't enough qualified minorities who applied.

From this article:

https://legalinsurrection.com/2015/0...-fitness-test/

Quote:
In 2011, the DOJ ordered the Dayton Police Department and the Fire Department of New York to lower the required test scores of minorities after too many failed to pass the existing exams, and in 2013, the Marines changed their fitness requirement for women after the majority of female recruits were unable to perform the required three pull-ups.
This week we learn that the FDNY is allowing a woman to become a fire fighter despite failing a crucial fitness exam.

Old 11-25-2018, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
This has nothing to do with the premise of the topic of the post. Save your usual rants about affirmative action for another thread.
Pipe down and quit telling people what they can post. You don't like it? Block me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies