Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 09:12 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,512,680 times

Advertisements

As far as naming all the generations, whatever. It doesn't affect me that my generation was named for a band Billy Idol was in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2018, 10:51 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I'd say Reagan being shot, the Space Shuttle Challenger disaster and the Berlin Wall falling were pretty big for Gen Xers.
OK here is the thing, Reagan being shot because he didn't die was not as seminal as the 9/11 attack or JFK shooting. Challenger and more so Berlin Wall, were too late. Millennials wouldn't remember either because at best the oldest would be old enough to remember the Berlin Wall but not understand it within the context alone. Challenger, too would be the best of the three but some may argue that it was too late as all Gen X would be of remembering age. I say that in that both 9/11 and JFK's shooting were both late enough in the cohort to be a cut-off for remembering days before that, but not too late to be remembered by the next cohort in the moment. I am not debating impact, just that they weren't the "I remember being ____ when (insert event) happened" like JFK and 9/11.

Old 11-26-2018, 04:38 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
BBM~~ to highlight

Sure they are making more $$ ..however.COLand everyday costs has surmounted what us older folks dealt with! Thus, whatever their incomes ( minus income taxes and Taxes on services they utilize..meanwhile since meltdown of 2009.. investments tho has recovered.. is minuscule !

I happen to be retired and pay Tax on just about everything except FOOD products.. so any and ALL other services for myself is 13%. BUT, for myself,I will not complain as my American compatriots suffer far worse than myself.. They have a legacy of Health Care debt that is constant..and often leaves middle Americans at risk to lose Everything THEY worked for their entire life with one simple HC high cost/High deductible or worse.. treatments NOT covered from Insurance Industry! That's why Feel fortunate to at least know I won't every go insolvent nor bankrupt because of Health issues!!

Having said all that, My youngest struggling, and paying child support, yet can't afford to get ahead and he's making more annually than I ever did..

I, have know idea, when people will realize..Corporate isn't returning their profits tool level investors/andGovernment, who makes those LAWS that protect THEM!!

Yes, Canadians have similar issues..BUT not anywhere near American type Federal and STATE laws that protect "Donors/Lobbyists" that directly affect negatively the "LittleGuy"
No it isn't minuscule. Even when you factor in the time value of money, my sons and their peers are doing just fine.

We are Canadians who moved to USA in 1997. We have lived in both countries and know from experience about the costs/benefits of both health care systems.

Trust me -- many milenial kids are enjoying the economic and job growth of the last 8 years. Sure some aren't...but many are.

Old 11-26-2018, 05:23 AM

5,728 posts, read 3,249,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnpolybious View Post
It's not enough we couldn't just be known as Gen Y but some idiots had to be cute by giving us the stupid "Millennial" designation which has been used to joke and make fun of it ever since. The oldest of us are pushing 40 yet that gets tossed around like we're all still children. You look at the generation before us, Gen X and they may have gotten some criticism from when they were young but they weren't constantly beat over the head with it and had some stupid out of date name to go with them and still be used against them well into adulthood.

It's like being forced to wear a scarlet letter our whole lives no matter how mature, responsible or old we get. Clearly whoever coined the term never thought of how stupid it was and the long-lasting implications. We already had Gen X and thus we would be Gen Y so why the need to add something so stupid that would clearly fast become out of date? And yes, I do know why we were called that; denotes those that would come of age near the turn of the millennium, but still, it just really sounds out of date and old fashioned and I really hate how the term has been used against us as something to bash us for something we had no part in creating.
Oh well. Suck it up snowflake. No more free trophies
To hand out.

Old 11-26-2018, 05:27 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The thing is I think that is true with most cohorts. For instance you have the boomers that remember Disneyland opening and then you have others who it was always there and the time before is simply textbook. That or those that boomers by year they were born but don't remember the moment JFK was shot and for millennials this was 9/11. Gen X don't have that seminal moment that they were "there for" and so far the zenillals (or whatever we call the current generation) haven't had one of these events either.
That's where I fall: born December 30, 1963. Don't relate to much of the boomer generation at all.

Old 11-26-2018, 05:34 AM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
That's where I fall: born December 30, 1963. Don't relate to much of the boomer generation at all.
You really do sit on the fence between being a boomer and GenX. Couldn’t get closer than that

Old 11-26-2018, 06:00 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,494,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
OK here is the thing, Reagan being shot because he didn't die was not as seminal as the 9/11 attack or JFK shooting. Challenger and more so Berlin Wall, were too late. Millennials wouldn't remember either because at best the oldest would be old enough to remember the Berlin Wall but not understand it within the context alone. Challenger, too would be the best of the three but some may argue that it was too late as all Gen X would be of remembering age. I say that in that both 9/11 and JFK's shooting were both late enough in the cohort to be a cut-off for remembering days before that, but not too late to be remembered by the next cohort in the moment. I am not debating impact, just that they weren't the "I remember being ____ when (insert event) happened" like JFK and 9/11.
I remember coming home from school and seeing a white bronco creeping up a California free way
I was in a math class when 9/11 happened.
What other happenings do I remember.
OH YEAH! I did not have sexual relations with that woman.
Well that depends on what the definition of is, is.

I remember watching the first go around in Iraq with night vision cameras and seeing tracer rounds going up and buildings turning into dust via stealth bombers, tanks racing across the desert. And Colin Powell.

I remember the ATF burning a church to the ground in Waco Texas.

I remember All of the SNL skits with Will Ferrell playing Janet Reno LOL
I remember Clinton no, Reno Sent men with MP5s to capture little Elian Gonzalez to deport him back to Cuba.

I remember you don't go quail hunting with Dick Cheney. He'll put buck shot in your face.
Could you imagine... Dick Cheney and Joe Biden... On a quail hunt...
Biden-You don't need no AR15 Dick, just get a shotgun and let off two blasts.
Cheney-Okay. QUAIL!
KABOOM KABOOM
Biden-You shot me, Twice! You Dick!

Then there was Signing up for the Marines after 9/11.
Watching Bush make up his own language and phrases followed by that goofy grin like the cat that swallowed the canary.
And saying weapons of mass destruction and "Newk-You-Leer" instead of nuclear-New-Clear.

I remember when health insurance was affordable. When I liked my doctor and kept her. Then the unaffordable care act came along and undone it just as I had predicted.

I remember everyone neckbearding .22 and not being able to find ammo at a decent price. A case of 855 or 193 went up to 999.99
Now it's salad days. Scored a few cases of each for 220 shipped each

Want to really laugh...
I remember when a gallon of gas was 1.95 and everyone freaking out saying that was expensive

Around... oh... 2010-2012, Price Chipper Teamed up with Sunoco. Spend X dollars on groceries, get X dollars and cents off per gallon of gas...
Oh yeah... I got my money's worth. before there was no limit on the gallons, I filled my truck with 93, filled a 100 gallon tank with 93 and had enough fuel for a couple months.
When chit gas got up to 4.85 a gallon, that price chopper rewards card got me 93 octane for 1.85 per gallon

Then they caught on and limited you to 20 gallons and 87 chit gas

Old 11-26-2018, 06:52 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I'd say Reagan being shot, the Space Shuttle Challenger disaster and the Berlin Wall falling were pretty big for Gen Xers.
Not to mention a good many of us could recall Watergate, 2 oil shocks, Stagflation, the Hostage Crisis in Iran, and finally John Lennon's murder.

But hey, these Milenials seem to believe that life and civilization ceased to exist in 2008.

Old 11-26-2018, 06:54 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Quote:
What don't you relate to?

What is it about the baby boomers you don't get?

Just curious -- not making a judgement -- just curious.

Old 11-26-2018, 08:56 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
What about gen x?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies