Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2018, 10:02 PM

16,237 posts, read 5,819,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I actually drive a GM vehicle and am very happy with it. "Blah, blah, blah is what Trump has been feeding you. Trump's economy sucks!
Glad you like your GM. Some are nice and some are absolute dogs. I like the Malibu and the impala. I didn't like their SUV's or midsized trucks. I drove Toyota trucks since 89 and never regretted it. Now I own a Honda City. Great little car that blows the cruise away.
The measure of any corporation success in the global economy is how they sell abroad. Well where I am at Chevy has to be last place even behind Suzuki and Hyundai. You see the occasional GM on the road, but very few. You do see a lot of Fords though. In fact Ford trucks are the only ones that are challenging the Toyota dominance over here.

Old 11-26-2018, 10:03 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,052,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Seems like a reasonable response on GM's part to the Democrats retaking/stealing the House of Representatives. These maniacs in the Democrat Party are completely uninterested in continuing the economic accomplishments that have been achieved in Trump's first two years. Everyone knows it, including GM. The American people voted against economic prosperity by electing a Democrat majority to the House of Representatives. GM won't be the last company to factor that decision into their future business plans.

You can thank Democrats and the people who voted them into office for these layoffs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
See what happens when Democraps get even a little bit of power? Companies start tanking, just like 2006-2010.
Oh brother.

Yes, I'm sure that's the reason...

Old 11-26-2018, 10:09 PM

13,570 posts, read 10,269,764 times
Quote:
Seems like a reasonable response on GM's part to the Democrats retaking/stealing the House of Representatives. These maniacs in the Democrat Party are completely uninterested in continuing the economic accomplishments that have been achieved in Trump's first two years. Everyone knows it, including GM. The American people voted against economic prosperity by electing a Democrat majority to the House of Representatives. GM won't be the last company to factor that decision into their future business plans.

You can thank Democrats and the people who voted them into office for these layoffs.
That's the silliest comment I've seen in a long time and has no logic or relationship to reality.

Old 11-26-2018, 10:13 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,372,894 times
Some good news.

Coming on the heels of General Motors' sweeping $6 billion cost-cutting plan, the company confirmed it will add a third vehicle to its production line up at its Spring Hill, Tennessee, plant in 2019.

A future Cadillac crossover will be produced at the factory, GM spokeswoman Courtney Jackson said Monday.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...nt/2119307002/

Old 11-26-2018, 10:14 PM

51,577 posts, read 25,487,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
That's the silliest comment I've seen in a long time and has no logic or relationship to reality.
And that's saying something when you're talking about this forum.

Old 11-26-2018, 10:25 PM

25,589 posts, read 56,241,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
A reduction in the corporate tax rate.
Truth be told, GM doesn't benefit from the tax bill to the extent other companies do BECAUSE GM is still writing off losses from the Great Recession.

Further, it appears the decision to close certain plants is also influenced by the tariffs. Corporations can't plan when something as significant as a tariff is an unknown - it's out there, but how bad will it be? Therefore, they will move to countries who will not raise the cost of their products by tariffing raw materials used for that production.

After all, in the end, tariffs will raise prices and, in reality, are a tax on the consumer. Fewer units will be sold as a result as prices rise and/or other areas of the economy will take a hit when dollars diverted to pay the higher cost for tariffed goods.

Trump has taken what should have been another good year for the stock market and business and farmers and completely destroyed the ability to plan ahead for all three. The stock market is tanking for a reason, businesses are not investing in the US, farmers can't plant their fields because they've lost their markets.

A human wrecking ball Trump is - without compare.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 11-26-2018 at 10:34 PM..

Old 11-26-2018, 10:26 PM

17,264 posts, read 6,628,423 times
This isn't the last story you're going to read about companies laying off people. There's a reason for it. Democrats are bad for business.

Old 11-26-2018, 10:27 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,636,029 times
The problem is, and has been for decades, the quality of the cars. Chevy make some very bad cars. Last one I bought was an 86 S-10 brand new. Turns out the engine was a dud. Died at 175K miles - should have lasted a lot longer. Meanwhile, I had a friend who bought an 86 Nissan truck (same size as the S10 but can't remember what they called it) and it got over 300K miles. Next car I bought was a 96 Nissan 200SX - had over 220K miles and was still going when I bought my new Nissan. I had a rental recently - a Chevy Malibu. No way would I buy that car after having driven it for a few days. It just didn't feel "solid". But I hate to see the jobs disappear. I don't understand why US car makers can't make cars as well as the Japanese can.

Old 11-26-2018, 10:32 PM

31,832 posts, read 14,805,388 times
Quote:
This isn't the last story you're going to read about companies laying off people. There's a reason for it. Democrats are bad for business.
This isn’t political. It’s about growth and the future. When you spend money making cars that aren’t selling, you have to change course.

Old 11-26-2018, 10:33 PM

19,377 posts, read 22,320,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
100%
200%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies