Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 07:20 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,113,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolf_88 View Post
Becuz it raciss
I'd relate more to Ed who runs a small burger stand than Rodriguez who runs a large corporation overseas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2018, 07:30 AM

17,341 posts, read 11,274,075 times
OK, but isn't it racist to try to keep a neighborhood predominantly one race, one culture because people are more comfortable living in a neighborhood like that? Why would someone care if people moved in next door to you, fixed up an old house and sent their kids to private school? They're still paying taxes to the neighborhood school.
I'm just playing devils advocate here and trying to see both sides.

Old 11-27-2018, 07:33 AM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
It's a double edged sword.

Take my neighborhood for example, throughout the '80,s and '90,s, was pretty gang infested. I remember hearing gunshots almost every night.

Fast forward to now, gunshots are extremely rare, we just have tagging in some spots.

But now that my uncle moved out from his house down the street, a Chinese guy bought it and had it torn down now it's a house fit for someone with millions to spend, same thing around the corner. We still have our corner store and a couple of Mexican restaurants, but watch them turn into coffee shops eventually.

Just outside off my block, huge apartment buildings are springing up. Though much needed, I can see why people are concerned.

That's change and we all have to accept it. Where you were as a kid won't be the same when your older.

The overall negative about it is that it drives out former residents, who wanted the gangs out, but didn't wanna leave either.
Reminds me of this old guy down the street. Both of his loser kids still lived with him. One a drug dealer one a hooker. This poor guy couldn't get rid of them so he sold and moved and didn't tell the kids where. That solved the hood's biggest problem.

In SD it's not race but wealth causing the "poor" to be displaced. When we bought here I wouldn't send my kids to our local schools because my kids speak English. Now the whole area has transformed for the better and houses are averaging 650 grand.

So, I guess it depends on which side of the event you are on. The porch boozers or those looking for a bargain house in an area going through it.

Old 11-27-2018, 07:34 AM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
OK, but isn't it racist to try to keep a neighborhood predominantly one race, one culture because people are more comfortable living in a neighborhood like that? Why would someone care if people moved in next door to you, fixed up an old house and sent their kids to private school? They're still paying taxes to the neighborhood school.
I'm just playing devils advocate here and trying to see both sides.
You see this in LA. Boyle heights comes to mind. It used to be quite diverse and now certain gangs are trying to keep it all Latino. Even to the use of force.

Old 11-27-2018, 07:34 AM

2,362 posts, read 777,508 times
Gentrification causes demographic changes but then so does mass immigration.

Personally, the only issue I see is everyone should have access to affordable housing in a urban center. When gentrification is spontaneous it's fine but when it's a couple large businesses driving the gentrification then it's problematic. For example, Quicken Loans in Detroit bought up a lot of apartment buildings very cheap and began replacing the original tenants with their employees in a bid to make more money (they pay their employees and then their employees return that money in the form of rent). This is not necessarily wrong (it's smart business sense) but should be regulated by the government.

Old 11-27-2018, 07:41 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
The market should decide the LEGAL flow of money, and people to whatever areas make sense within the U.S. Gentrification is good for cities, as it brings more economic health to the area, and increases the tax base. In addition it creates a better environment, less crime, and properties that look, and function better.

Old 11-27-2018, 07:41 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times
Quote:
I'm wondering why is gentrification considered to be a bad thing by some or many people? It seems to me, that someone moving into an old neighborhood and making improvements to run down areas would be a good thing for the town and it's citizens.
Why does this impact some people negatively? If you have a home, your mortgage doesn't increase because someone moves in next door or down the street and makes an old house beautiful again.
What am I missing or do I not understand what gentrification is?
If it was just restoring beautiful old houses it would be fine but that's only the tip of the gentrification iceberg.

Gentrification completely alters the demographics of the people living there... in other words, the racial makeup, socioeconomics, values, politics, types of businesses in operation and the very culture of a neighborhood. Eventually it turns the original residents into unwelcome outsiders in their own communities who feel like they don't belong anymore.

Old 11-27-2018, 07:47 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,688,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
It's a double edged sword.

Take my neighborhood for example, throughout the '80,s and '90,s, was pretty gang infested. I remember hearing gunshots almost every night.

Fast forward to now, gunshots are extremely rare, we just have tagging in some spots.

But now that my uncle moved out from his house down the street, a Chinese guy bought it and had it torn down now it's a house fit for someone with millions to spend, same thing around the corner. We still have our corner store and a couple of Mexican restaurants, but watch them turn into coffee shops eventually.

Just outside off my block, huge apartment buildings are springing up. Though much needed, I can see why people are concerned.

That's change and we all have to accept it. Where you were as a kid won't be the same when your older.

The overall negative about it is that it drives out former residents, who wanted the gangs out, but didn't wanna leave either.

Move. This is America. You are free to move about the country as you see fit. Do it. My old neighborhood went to pot, meth and opioids cause of the hood rats that moved in so I moved out.

Old 11-27-2018, 07:56 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times
Hasn't anyone noticed... only the poor are sent to war.

Old 11-27-2018, 07:59 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,939,880 times
Quote:
I'm wondering why is gentrification considered to be a bad thing by some or many people?
Because it displaces long time residents in favor of rich people that destroy the soul of the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies