Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 05:43 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,670,317 times

Advertisements

OK, let's talk truth.

We all exist within the societies and cultures we were brought up in. Prussian men were some of the bravest in the world and serving their country was ranked right up there with serving their God. The exceptions to this were few and those were usually based on faith (Amish, Menonites, etc.) or on mixed allegiances (some "Germans" may have been of other countries that were nearby (France, Austria-Hungary and others)....

However, assuming that the Trump family were relatively "pure" Germans, yes....they would be dishonored and cowardly if they didn't do their part.

Looking at it in the scope of modern day is wrong. A better way to look at it would be to look at WWI or WWII Britain. MILLIONS died out of a relatively small population. A real brit would do their duty.

If Trump was raising barns in Lancaster I'd give the family a pass. But the family didn't measure up to the standards of the culture and society that they were raised in.

Old 11-27-2018, 05:48 PM

22,469 posts, read 11,990,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesp View Post
Today I learned that certain people consider me a coward for not enlisting in the military.

Hey “not” neutralparty, did you enlist?

Don't hold your breath waiting for the not neutral one to answer. Expect to hear crickets chirping instead. Still, you ask a good question

Old 11-27-2018, 05:56 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,428,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Interesting, thanks. Personally, I don't think it's so crucial for a president to have served in the military - what's disturbing in Trump is that he seems to glory in having the military as his personal toy, as his personal means to achieving his ends, without much of a grasp of the pitfalls (and naturally no grasp at all of history).

What I find even more interesting is that his grandfather was apparently a whoremonger in the Klondike, which might explain a familial disregard for women.

So was JFK, so was Teddy, so was Bill Clinton.

Old 11-27-2018, 05:58 PM

22,469 posts, read 11,990,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
[/b]

So was JFK, so was Teddy, so was Bill Clinton.
Don't you know? According the libs, that's different because JFK, Teddy and Bubba were democrats.

Old 11-27-2018, 06:22 PM

7,269 posts, read 4,211,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Why does refusal to serve in the military make someone a coward? In my entire family, on both sides, exactly 4 people out of maybe 40 have served in the military. My father never served. Is he a coward? Neither of my brothers served, and only one of my 4 brothers-in-law served. Are all my brothers cowards? I have three adult nephews, and none of them have served or ever will. Are they cowards?

How about the men in your entire family. Any of them not serve? Are they cowards for not serving?

I did serve, but it didn't make me brave. I did a job, the American government paid me, 10 years later, I got a civilian job and now a private employer pays me. Does the entity signing your paycheck make you brave?

I see this all the time, from people on both sides, as a criticism of their current target for 2 Minutes Hate, and it never fails to annoy me. 99% of the military will pick up a weapon only in boot camp and only long enough to say they did, and that same 99% will never, ever see anything resembling combat, and will be doing standard white and blue collar work like everyone else, just in a uniform and for crappier pay.

Putting on a uniform doesn't make you brave, nor does not putting one on make you a coward.
Great post. Thank you for serving our country.

I'd like to also add that I have another thread in the military section about an elderly vet in need of help. In talking with other veterans and their families -- they are very thankful for the support that Trump has shown active and retired military.

Old 11-27-2018, 07:25 PM

22,660 posts, read 24,589,306 times
For the most part, I give anybody who avoided military conscription/draft/involuntary-servitude, a big thumbs-up.

War is mainly a real fun playground for rich politicians. Most of the time war is unnecessary.

Old 11-27-2018, 08:06 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,670,317 times
What seems amazing to me is the fungibility of much of the Right. The very same people who led us to multiple wars and champion high military spending (yes, Republicans and the Right have claimed this and more) NOW tell us that those who LEAVE THEIR COUNTRY or are kicked out due to cowardice are GREAT.

Aren't some of you the same people who dislike Hanoi Jane?

My head is spinning here. Whatever anti-war sentiment there has been in the USA have always been on the left (in the last 60 years).....

But, nothing new under the sun. Family values has tuned to puzzy grabbing. Balanced budgets to the King of Debt. Compassionate conservatism to rounding up immigrants...and now, warmongering and Saluting the Flag to "Those Americans who went to Canada were the TRUE PATRIOTS......

C'mon. Is there a single thing that conservatives claimed they stood for that....well, forget it. Obvious.

Old 11-27-2018, 08:11 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,516,181 times
Did Friedrich have bone spurs? Apparently Trump got them from him.

Old 11-27-2018, 08:16 PM

4,901 posts, read 2,055,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
We all know that Trump received FIVE deferments to avoid serving in Vietnam. I guess he's a coward just like his grandfather.

Wimpy boy Trump comes from a bloodline of yellow-bellied sissies

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...n-royal-decree

https://twitter.com/DavidCornDC/stat...81367841234945
Hey Neutral Party, did you ever serve in the Armed Forces of the United States? If not, be careful who YOU call yellow belly since we've been at war for over 17 years now. Have YOU did your part yet? Regardless if you're a man or woman.

If so, I salute you since IMHO, you have earned the right to question other people's military service.

I find it somewhat silly that the Left would have the "stones" to question anybody about their military service when most of them have never served in any branch of the Armed Forces.

With that said, who is really yellow bellied? Furthermore, your standard bearer, Bill Clinton failed to do his duty in serve in Vietnam as well, but the Left is fine with that?? This is why half the country knows the Left is full of BS and can never be trusted to be honested or even to give an unbiased statement relating to Trump.

Somehow if Trump's grandfather served in the Imperial German Army as a Private, the Left would somehow twist this into another straight-up lie AND claim that he was a Field Marshal in the Nazi German Army.

My Son-in Law's great-grand father fled Germany "After" being forced into the German Army. Many feared service in the German Army since it was known for being very brutal on its own low ranking soldiers.

Btw, I'm retired U.S. Army with two combat tours and several war related injuries to prove my service to our great country.

Old 11-27-2018, 08:25 PM

21,096 posts, read 19,703,590 times
If the grandson of a Nazi soldier ran for US President, would that make him a hero?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies