Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 04:25 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,552,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
It's not about the race of the student, it's about the culture that they have been raised it!!!

If you could take black and Latino children and completely immerse them in a Jewish or Asian community, and with no exposure to black or Latino culture influences, then I have no doubt that those black and Latino children would become amazing students and score highly on these tests.

The problem is that black children get distracted from academic studies because they want to be like other blacks, so they then talk with an ebonic dialect, and mimic the black celebrities that they admire most. And unfortunately, they love their rap music and all the dramas between the Chris Browns and Rihannas. And the Latinos love their pop culture icons too. And yes, because of slave history, blacks don't want to seem as acting "white". However Obama became president because he acting "white" and was married. And he did the "white" thing by going to college and then onto Harvard Law school.

In these modern times, some cultures just aren't very competitive anymore.
While what you say has some limited merit, culture is nothing more than the condensed work product of intellect, so essentially they are the same thing. Strong intellects produce strong cultures which support the continuation of strong intellects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 05:04 PM

24,598 posts, read 9,437,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
While what you say has some limited merit, culture is nothing more than the condensed work product of intellect, so essentially they are the same thing. Strong intellects produce strong cultures which support the continuation of strong intellects.
Many don’t understand that the current black culture is actually stolen from poor white southern culture. You have to understand that black Americans did not show up to America with this current culture. It was imitated and duplicated from the southern white culture they live within at the time.

If blacks were primarily and prominently shipped to northern states, and refrained from southerones, today’s black America culture may be entirely different from what we see today.

But otherwise yes, some culture shun education and don’t support strong intellect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Huh? What’s this have to do with liberalism? Or do you see everything in such a binary way?
Liberal politicians have been promising blacks and Hispanics it will “be all good one day, just keep voting for me” for decades

Yet here we are in 2019 with blacks and Hispanics doing more worse than ever as Asian, Jews, and African immigrants prosper more than ever

So naturally, liberal teachers will also adapt to this behavior for a cheap round of appalause. “In 20 years all test scores and reading/math/writing will be equal!”

Old 11-28-2018, 05:18 PM

24,598 posts, read 9,437,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider99 View Post
Add to this that in you believe in evolution, it would be impossible to assume intelligence doesn't have a genetic root. There is simply no way that two groups of people with vastly different diets and living conditions evolved the same, including brain function.
I don’t think anyone would argue the merit intelligence holds to achieve great things individually or as a group, look no further than Ashkenazi Jews or the country of Japan. You can’t do what they did as group without intellect.

This goes to the the chicken and eggs argument. Does low IQ produce bad culture or does bad culture produce low IQ.

At the end of the day, IQ is largely not going to stop someone or some group in America from acheieving greatness. It’s just a matter of using your strengths and applying them to every opportunity.

Old 11-28-2018, 05:54 PM

72,978 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Many don’t understand that the current black culture is actually stolen from poor white southern culture. You have to understand that black Americans did not show up to America with this current culture. It was imitated and duplicated from the southern white culture they live within at the time.

If blacks were primarily and prominently shipped to northern states, and refrained from southerones, today’s black America culture may be entirely different from what we see today.

But otherwise yes, some culture shun education and don’t support strong intellect.
I know all about that. I read about it in Thomas Sowell's essay Black Rednecks and White Liberals. I've known about it for years. I always say there is not much of a difference between a redneck and a hood rat. I've seen it up close and personal.

Quote:
Liberal politicians have been promising blacks and Hispanics it will “be all good one day, just keep voting for me” for decades

Yet here we are in 2019 with blacks and Hispanics doing more worse than ever as Asian, Jews, and African immigrants prosper more than ever

So naturally, liberal teachers will also adapt to this behavior for a cheap round of appalause. “In 20 years all test scores and reading/math/writing will be equal!”
Politicians in general promise alot and don't deliver on everything. Now, you can say what you will about Democrats. Go ahead. It isn't going to make more Blacks and Hispanics vote for Republicans. This is how I see it in general terms. Democrats will tell Blacks and Hispanics what they want to hear but not deliver on everything. In general, Republicans won't really reach out to Blacks and Hispanics or if they do speak on Blacks and Hispanics, they will be spoken of as if they are burdens on society. Basically, it's pick the party who tells you what you want to hear versus the party who either ignores you or talks down on your ethnicity/about your ethnicity like you're a burden on society. Why would I pick someone who views me as a burden?

Blacks and Hispanics doing worse than ever? The worst Blacks have ever done is the time period leading up to 1960. Blacks were always at the bottom. Blacks have been treated worse than anyone else besides Native Americans. Blacks didn't even have a say in how they got to this country. Right now, at least Blacks have more freedoms and rights than ever before. More Blacks working in professional jobs (such as engineers, doctors, teachers, etc) than ever before. Blacks have just been at the very bottom forever no matter who is in charge.

By the way, Jews and Asians tend to vote Democrat alot. Whites in Utah support Republicans alot, and so do Whites in West Virginia. Guess who is poorer? West Virginia.

Old 11-28-2018, 06:08 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,364,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Specific Point View Post
Do YOU think there will be a time in your life where all races and income levels will be equal in academic performance?
With rampant grade inflation in liberal run schools? Of course eventually everyone will be getting A's regardless of actual performance so sure, one day everyone regardless of race, creed, income or culture will be equal in academic performance.

Old 11-28-2018, 06:14 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,247,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
And WHY did he believe this would happen in twenty years, specifically?
He'd be retired by then, and it's a nice round number.

Old 11-28-2018, 06:21 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,138,210 times
Right off the top of my head ... that guy sounds like a moron. Was he perhaps talking to a room with a large number of black/Hispanic people, telling them what they want to hear?

Oh, and did he show any visuals with graphs, indicating this is a trend?

I think that's a lot of hooey.

Old 11-28-2018, 06:27 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Right off the top of my head ... that guy sounds like a moron. Was he perhaps talking to a room with a large number of black/Hispanic people, telling them what they want to hear?

Oh, and did he show any visuals with graphs, indicating this is a trend?

I think that's a lot of hooey.

Oh, the irony.

Old 11-28-2018, 06:29 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
People continue to confuse IQ and education. IQ is pretty much set at birth (though you can increase it a bit over your lifetime, if you obsessively read non-fiction, and spend all your life around those who think logically). Education is simply the presentation of information (which may or may not be true) and, in a perfect world, teaching pupils how to think logically.

And the ability to be educated depends on your IQ.

Old 11-28-2018, 07:29 PM

72,978 posts, read 62,554,457 times
When it comes to education, this is what I see. If you don't do the work, if you don't study, you won't pass. If you are surrounded by ignorance, you have a high chance of taking on and imitating that ignorance. It helps to have tutors and access to good educational tools. It helps even more when you're driven and surrounded by those who value education themselves. It helps even more to put forth the effort and actually study and do the work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies