Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 10:03 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,095,582 times

Advertisements

Ask yourself--why do you come here? To discuss issues? Or to antagonize?

Civil discourse is about respect and dignity.

Civil discourse does not diminish the moral worth of another person, nor question their good judgment. It avoids hostility and direct antagonism. It requires modesty and an appreciation for the other participant's experiences.

What the hell is happening?

Both sides seem to be hell-bent on destroying the "other." What I see is a never-ending onslaught of insults, ridicule, broad sweeping generalizations, and what-about-isms.

This is not going to solve any problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2018, 10:21 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
One thing I have rarely seen in my time on these boards...someone admit that they were wrong about something or had their opinions changed due to another posters threads, its all just an attempt to prove the other guy wrong or to discredit, or the 'whataboutism'.

Just read thru some daily posts, you will likely never see things like "Oh I see what you mean now", or "Gee, I didnt know that, maybe I was wrong", etc etc.

Old 11-27-2018, 10:39 AM

6,472 posts, read 6,678,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
One thing I have rarely seen in my time on these boards...someone admit that they were wrong about something or had their opinions changed due to another posters threads, its all just an attempt to prove the other guy wrong or to discredit, or the 'whataboutism'.

Just read thru some daily posts, you will likely never see things like "Oh I see what you mean now", or "Gee, I didnt know that, maybe I was wrong", etc etc.
Well, as an FYI, I have admitted I was wrong, I have thanked other posters for giving me a new perspective, and I have even changed my mind about an issue occassionally. But those things happened during civil and intelligent discussions, not because of insulting, self-aggrandizing, closed-minded posts that are, unfortunately, common here.

I truly appreciate an intelligent discussion. I know the CD moderators try to keep threads relatively civil (thank you Mods!), but I would love to have a section here for controversial issues that has a VERY high standard for posts. Great Debates is supposed to have a higher standard than other subforums, but I for one would like to see the bar raised even higher.

Old 11-27-2018, 10:55 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Some people (thankfully not many) don't cope well if what seems like truth to them, doesn't seem like truth to others.

Usually a reflection on their upbringing.

Old 11-27-2018, 11:06 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,074,467 times
I come here mainly for the entertainment value. That, and just like most others in this world, I think I'm smarter and better than all of you and my musings represent the pinnacle of human thought.

In all seriousness though, at least this place isn't an echo chamber. There are right leaning, left leaning, and other dimensions on the spectrum leaning posters of various types. It's better than any comments section, even of those where people share the same general political beliefs.

Old 11-27-2018, 11:32 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,927,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Well, as an FYI, I have admitted I was wrong, I have thanked other posters for giving me a new perspective, and I have even changed my mind about an issue occassionally. But those things happened during civil and intelligent discussions, not because of insulting, self-aggrandizing, closed-minded posts that are, unfortunately, common here.

I truly appreciate an intelligent discussion. I know the CD moderators try to keep threads relatively civil (thank you Mods!), but I would love to have a section here for controversial issues that has a VERY high standard for posts. Great Debates is supposed to have a higher standard than other subforums, but I for one would like to see the bar raised even higher.

Agree with you, but the interesting thing is that this forum has a lot more traffic that Great Debates. What does that tell you? Or maybe more accurately, what does it tell you about C-D posters?

Anonymous social media tends to attract and to encourage antisocial and even sociopathic personalities. It has always been that way since the very beginning, back in the days of Bulletin Boards and FTP and Telnet.

The question may actually be which came first? The decline of civil discourse? Or is it the unintended side effect of releasing technology that enables us to behave in ways that would never have been tolerated when the primary means of communication was face-face or the printed word?

Old 11-27-2018, 12:42 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,095,582 times
Thanks, posters. I know that some people come for actual discussion and to seek new perspectives. I have learned a lot from coming here.

Old 11-27-2018, 01:28 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Thanks, posters. I know that some people come for actual discussion and to seek new perspectives. I have learned a lot from coming here.
The problem is that if you and I start having a discussion about minimum wage, supreme court justices, gerrymandering etc. we're going to have our conversation completely buried by the most biased and vocal posters of which we have plenty of on both sides of the political fence.

It's like trying to have a reasonable conversation in the middle of a bar fight lol.

Putting bunches of them on ignore helps but only if both parties have done that.

Old 11-27-2018, 02:03 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
It is the safest and most rational time in human history.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9vQaVIoEjOM

Old 11-27-2018, 02:05 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,400,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Ask yourself--why do you come here? To discuss issues? Or to antagonize
To discuss issues as well to antagonize the stupid arguments presented by some of these issues, namely SJW-friendly arguments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies