Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the US move forward with chip implanting of humans?
Yes! And use it to revolutionize health and wellness. 4 3.70%
Yes, but forbid health agencies from accessing the data. 2 1.85%
Yes, but write a law (perhaps a constitutional amendent) making it strictly voluntary. 4 3.70%
No, no chips in Americans, period. 96 88.89%
other (please explain below). 2 1.85%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 02:47 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,010,801 times

Advertisements

https://www.npr.org/2018/10/22/65880...der-their-skin

The forward-thinking, progressive Swedes are moving ahead at light speed in implanting of chips--in humans, not just in pets.

Quote:
Erik Frisk, a 30-year-old Web developer and designer, says he was really curious about the technology as soon as he heard about it and decided to get his own chip in 2014.
... [the trend has] been spreading and people have seen the benefits," Frisk says.
When Frisk moved into a shared house earlier this year, he organized a chipping party for his new housemates. Now they can access...[their] building ...by tapping their hands on a digital reader by the door.
According to the link, Sweden is fast moving to a cashless society. Only one in four Swedes still use cash at least once per week. The chips make this easy.

There are some privacy concerns, to be sure.

Quote:
Libberton, a trained microbiologist now working in science communication, says one of his main concerns is how the chips could be used to share data about our physical health and bodily functions.
"Because it's implanted in your body, when more health-related information starts being used and incorporated into the chip and being transmitted — that could create an extra layer of privacy that we really need to look at and take care of before it's widely used," he says.
To me, this represents not a threat, but a boon. As much as 75% of health care costs are behavior-related (smoking, drinking, obesity, etc). Health agencies can now monitor behavior.

Say you're 20 lbs. overweight. You have already purchased 2 chocolate bars today. Now you want to buy a third. 'Sale declined' comes up on the screen. It's no different than your credit card coming up 'declined' if you are over your credit limit. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2018, 02:50 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
There are some privacy issues?

Old 11-27-2018, 02:54 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
NO! NO! A Thousand times NO!

Old 11-27-2018, 02:54 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
I have a wallet full of retailer cards that I use to get discounts/ special offers. It's a PITB.

I use a C/C for nearly everything I purchase. I would love to swipe my finger and be done with it. It's a convenience.

No government is going to track the number of candy bars you purchased, let alone deny your purchase.

Old 11-27-2018, 03:02 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,088,512 times
I. Do. Not. Need. To. Be. Monitored.

By anyone. For any reason. Ever.

Old 11-27-2018, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle aged mom
I have a wallet full of retailer cards that I use to get discounts/ special offers. It's a PITB.

I use a C/C for nearly everything I purchase. I would love to swipe my finger and be done with it. It's a convenience.

No government is going to track the number of candy bars you purchased, let alone deny your purchase.
Maybe the chocolate bar example is extreme, but for serious health risk purchases, such as cigarettes, alcohol, and marijuana, I could see it being used. We're talking substances that can cost lives.

30 years ago you were considered a loon if you said that smoking should not be allowed in taverns. Now we have passed exactly that, at least in my state. I don't know how many states still allow smoking in bars, but I bet it's a minority.

Old 11-27-2018, 03:14 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
https://www.npr.org/2018/10/22/65880...der-their-skin

The forward-thinking, progressive Swedes are moving ahead at light speed in implanting of chips--in humans, not just in pets.

According to the link, Sweden is fast moving to a cashless society. Only one in four Swedes still use cash at least once per week. The chips make this easy.

There are some privacy concerns, to be sure.

To me, this represents not a threat, but a boon. As much as 75% of health care costs are behavior-related (smoking, drinking, obesity, etc). Health agencies can now monitor behavior.

Say you're 20 lbs. overweight. You have already purchased 2 chocolate bars today. Now you want to buy a third. 'Sale declined' comes up on the screen. It's no different than your credit card coming up 'declined' if you are over your credit limit. What do you think?

What do I think? What do you think? What do you really think?

Because if you think that this intrusive chip idea is a good one, allow me: You and the gubment can keep your hands out of my wallet, your beaks out of my refrigerator, and your chips to yourselves. IOW, mind your own damn business.

Okay?

Old 11-27-2018, 03:43 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,387,704 times
If a person with a chip has dementia, you could take him/her to the dogcatcher and learn his/her identity.

Old 11-27-2018, 03:56 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,342,198 times
I’m all for chip implants for convicted felons, sex offenders, etc. like the ones in the movies that explode.

Old 11-27-2018, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
I’m all for chip implants for convicted felons, sex offenders, etc. like the ones in the movies that explode.
This could be another tremendous benefit of the chips. It could be the greatest crime fighting tool in history.

Much criminal activity is dependent on cash transactions. Drug sales and prostitution are just two obvious examples. By monitoring the chips, we could totally eliminate such criminal activity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies