Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 03:16 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,011,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
can you dig up ronald reagan and tell him not to give amnesty to millions?
US foreign born population was about 6% of total US population in 1980. It is now about 14%, or more than double.

While you're digging up Reagan, are you going to also export 57% of all US foreign-born residents, so that we can have a level playing field for this debate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2018, 03:18 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,459,324 times
Why don't progressives seem to understand that unrestrained immigration is inimical to progressivism?

False premise.

Progressives are not for unrestrained immigration.

When did you stop beating your wife?

Old 11-30-2018, 03:24 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,626,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Here's a better question:

Why don't Republicans seem to understand that Democrats don't generally want unrestrained immigration?

This seems to be a myth perpetrated by the GOP.

And, by the way, I hope you note the difference between a country of 10 million and a country of 300 million.
I'm as liberal as they come and I don't want unrestrained immigration either.
I wonder why they keep spreading that myth. Perhaps the right confuses compassion & empathy for the plight of these people as somehow endorsing unrestrained immigration.

Old 11-30-2018, 03:29 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Here's a better question:

Why don't Republicans seem to understand that Democrats don't generally want unrestrained immigration?

This seems to be a myth perpetrated by the GOP.

And, by the way, I hope you note the difference between a country of 10 million and a country of 300 million.
They know that already but it makes them sound good to say we want unrestrained immigration. I have asked many times for conservatives to post a link in which a liberal, any liberal, says they advocate open borders. They got nothing. So here we go again.

Old 11-30-2018, 03:33 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
US foreign born population was about 6% of total US population in 1980. It is now about 14%, or more than double.

While you're digging up Reagan, are you going to also export 57% of all US foreign-born residents, so that we can have a level playing field for this debate?
Uh, not sure what you mean.

Certainly you realize that the MILLIONS that RR gave amnesty to took a decade or two to come to fruition? That is, Rome wasn't built in a day. So RR making people "citizens" with "amnesty" applied to MANY who were foreign born AND to many who were born here (undocumented)....

You certainly can't turn back the clock and it's all relative, but we cannot deny that RR is the last POTUS to pass a major Amnesty Bill providing millions of foreigners safe haven and citizenship.

"At the time, the Immigration and Naturalization Service estimated that about four million illegal immigrants would apply for legal status through the act"

That didn't include the undoc minors by EO:
"In 1987 President Reagan used his executive authority to legalize the status of minor children of parents granted amnesty under the immigration overhaul, announcing a blanket deferral of deportation for children under 18"

Being as this thread seems to be blaming "progressives" for something, I think many millions that Reagan gave amnesty to are VERY relevant...don't you? Didn't this also send a signal south that if you could get here and be basically lawful that YOU TOO might get the same treatment? I think it did.

I'm willing to discuss immigration THE VERY DAY that Texas passed mandatory E-Verify for all employers and institutes heavy punishments for breaking the law.

Until then it's a fake issue because of backwards/opposite world. That is, Republicans clearly love cheap labor and look the other way.

Old 11-30-2018, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Why don't progressives seem to understand that unrestrained immigration is inimical to progressivism?

False premise.

Progressives are not for unrestrained immigration.

When did you stop beating your wife?
So all the commotion from the left (of which I am one, btw) surrounding the caravan was just a figment of my imagination? Sanctuary cities do not exist? The chant of "No Trump, no wall, no USA at all" never happened?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpGs5bATYbU

Old 11-30-2018, 03:39 PM

14,232 posts, read 4,596,290 times
because those are democrat future voters.

Old 11-30-2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Uh, not sure what you mean.

Uh, let me restate it for you more explicitly. In 1980 the foreign-born residents in the US were about 6 percent of total population. Today that number is about 14 percent. So the percentage of immigrants has more than doubled.

Therefore the debate over immigration was much different in 1980 than it is today. It would be like resurrecting a discussion of mobile phone policy from 1980 when only the super-rich had mobile phones. You wouldn't go back and dig up a policy discussion from 1980 on mobile phones and try to apply it in 2018. You shouldn't do it with immigration policy either.

Old 11-30-2018, 03:51 PM

62,968 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
They know that already but it makes them sound good to say we want unrestrained immigration. I have asked many times for conservatives to post a link in which a liberal, any liberal, says they advocate open borders. They got nothing. So here we go again.

Of course no liberal would say it, duh. But their advocacy for amnesty, sanctuary cities, objecting to internal enforcement of our immigration laws, border security including a wall and compassion for every poor and needy person to be able to come to our country and live are the actions and thoughts of open border nuts.

If one is going to have compassion for 11 million illegals and all the people in these caravans by wanting them all to enter and reside in our country it's kind of a tell all, isn't it? After all, if you're going to want that for all of these people why stop there? Why not the billions across the world who are also poor and needy? If you allow one in you have to allow them all in to be fair, right? Enjoy your new third world country, living like a pauper while we're all fighting for what meager scraps there will be for that number of people in our country.

Old 11-30-2018, 04:01 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
Uh, let me restate it for you more explicitly. In 1980 the foreign-born residents in the US were about 6 percent of total population. Today that number is about 14 percent. So the percentage of immigrants has more than doubled.

Therefore the debate over immigration was much different in 1980 than it is today. It would be like resurrecting a discussion of mobile phone policy from 1980 when only the super-rich had mobile phones. You wouldn't go back and dig up a policy discussion from 1980 on mobile phones and try to apply it in 2018. You shouldn't do it with immigration policy either.
False premise.

1987 was the year this bill was passed and it took years, as with any legislation, to come to fruition.

Human beings live for....how many years? Longer than cell phones I think! Don't be silly. It was about 9% in 1990, which would be an early date for the Reagan signed bills to come into force. It shot up big time from there....5% more. The slope is very steep from Reagan onward.

Let's see....as I remember....
Reagan Was POTUS.
Then GW Bush until 1992.
The Clinton, BUT a very heavy Republican controlled House (where laws are made - the Newt Revolution)
Then GWB for 8 years.

So, please, tell me how "progressives" proved they didn't understand something?

Pointing to a rally, demonstration or other such thing doesn't count. Oh, and also you are not allowed to mention anything until you explain why the Republican Congress has yet to bring immigration reform to the floor....and, also, why Texas won't do e-verify.

Let me save you a lot of time and hassle. The reasons are clear. Republicans make much more money from illegal immigration (cheap labor) than Democrats do. They tend to be more into Big Ag, Meat packing and Construction and other industries that use the Labor...

Not black and white, but certainly talking about "progressives" is the pot calling the kettle black. The only people who would buy that are ill informed....like people who don't know what Reagan did or said. Or others who don't know what McCain championed. Etc. Etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies