Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 08:56 AM

8,313 posts, read 3,908,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Yup, just as the liberals predicted.

But I'm sure Middle America appreciate Trump helping himself and his rich friends get ahead.

When will people start to realize that Democrats are the ones who help create a booming economy and jobs?

It's not Democrats, it's everyone in this country that spends their time in the real world, trying to create and sustain real businesses, trying to implement effective government and to foster a stable society. Not the crazed right-wingers that spend all their energy trying to invent enemies and find new ways to show that America isn't great. And surely not the 1%ers like Trump whose objective is to skim the cream off the top and dump the rest into the ditch when they are finished with us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 09:22 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,661,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I gather Wal-Mart didn't recently close in your rural town. So, no, business isn't booming everywhere in rural America. A lot of rural towns in rural Oklahoma have slowing been declining. In several towns hospitals have closed.
Hospitals closed cause not every podunk town needed one. And Oklahoma is in the middle of another oil boom. You must not get out much. I was at my daughters house last week and we counted 10 active oil rigs drilling. Then driving around another 20 or so in various stages of completion. Her and her neighbors said this increased activity has been going on for at least 12 months.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:26 AM

36,352 posts, read 30,725,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
yep. to be fair, she also works 12 hour days/ 6 days a week, bringing home a paltry $1200 a month.

she has a great work ethic but you have to wonder who is taking care of all those kids for 72 hours per week.
I really doubt that. I worked in diners in rural America in high school and working my way through college (for $1.50/hr. + tips). I eat in rural diners. Very few are open 12 hours a day. Most close about 2 after the lunch crowd. If they are there are 2 or 3 shifts. Perhaps she is working two different jobs (where is dad).
The kids are in Headstart/preschool/school and with nanna.
Which begs the question why have a litter of kids when your gone 12 hrs./day 6 days a week. I feel bad leaving my dogs while I'm at work.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:51 AM

1,881 posts, read 1,007,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Hospitals closed cause not every podunk town needed one. And Oklahoma is in the middle of another oil boom. You must not get out much. I was at my daughters house last week and we counted 10 active oil rigs drilling. Then driving around another 20 or so in various stages of completion. Her and her neighbors said this increased activity has been going on for at least 12 months.
Huh?? Oil has been struggling with a big dip lately and had a huge decline from 2014-17 or so...

Old 11-29-2018, 10:13 AM

91 posts, read 176,387 times
[quote]Democrats can't do anything, because they keep voting for Republicans.

Hillary Clinton had a plan to help them, but that doesn't matter now.

Is this the same plan Hillary touted about revitalizing upstate NY's economy when she was running for the Senate? Upstate NY never heard from her again once she got elected. Cities like Utica, Rome and Peekskill to name a few are still depressed no revitalization as promised by the Hildebeast.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:15 AM

20,037 posts, read 8,946,639 times
they may be disappointed in Trump, but they'll never support a progressive

Old 11-29-2018, 10:20 AM

1,874 posts, read 816,031 times
so they should vote for freebies instead? wtf really?

Old 11-29-2018, 10:23 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,590,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
A lot of towns in Oklahoma are not enjoying an oil boom. For instance, the town of Perry lost its Walmart after a period of slow population decline. Population of Perry in 2010: 5,126, in 2017: 4,934. Now it's closest Wal-Mart is about 25 miles away. The town's hospital isn't doing well. So, yeah, every poduck town slowly turning into a ghost town eventually doesn't need a hospital. To the north of there a bigger town, Ponca City has also been in a state of slow decline.

By the way, local oil booms don't last long. They come and go. There used to be a lot of oil drilling going on around my town. But not now.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 11-29-2018 at 10:40 AM..

Old 11-29-2018, 10:29 AM

1,805 posts, read 2,363,662 times
White people want to be oppressed so bad. Hilarious.

For years the white voting block was the most powerful, and all they did was vote in folks the enacted laws that screwed them over because it had the added benefit of screwing over blacks, women, and others.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:36 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,801,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerun View Post
The article is discussing a county in which 40% of the residents rely on food stamps to eat, a county that voted 87% for Trump.

Clearly they are not voting for their economic self interests when they support Republicans. That is why the GOP relies on the politics of fear and resentment. The God, gays and guns strategy works in these undereducated, depressed areas and is very effective at getting the residents living on food stamps to vote for the same plutocrats that busted the unions, took away their pensions and outsourced their jobs. Only a fool believes that Trump is going to do a thing to help these people, their votes are already locked up and in the bag.
Only a fool believes a president, or any politician, can lift them out of poverty with no effort on their own part. Guess both sides are good at getting the perpetually depressed masses to believe in fairy tales.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies