Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 04:18 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Again... you can't afford your expectations of living.. you think you can.. but you can't.

The reality is, you don't make 100k... you 100k minus health care costs.

What it comes down to.... at a 6 figure income, YES you can afford health care. But you choose not too... and that's your choice... your blame.
Health care for people who live longer in Japan is $3K per person per year.
Health care for Germans or Danes is about 6K per person per year.
Health Care in CUBA is about $500 per person per year AND THEY LIVE LONGER than we do.

Health care in the USA is close to 11K per person per year.

So, since you are all about paying your own bills, let's do the math on our 100K couple with two kids.

100K income - minus fed taxes and ss and medicare and state taxes. Let's say they net 80K per year.

4 people X 11K per year (USA per capital health care) = 44K per year.
2 Kids in School at 13K per year each = 26K

Well, we've reached 70K just on education and health care. That leaves 10K for
Mortgage
Cars and transportation
Furnishings
Savings/Retirement
Utilities
Repairs and upkeep

This doesn't balance! Why? Easy, because the US Government pays 2/3rd of all health care costs in this country and does do out of debt and deficit. We ALL are on welfare unless we pay in excess of 70K per year in taxes and health care costs year after year...and how many people do that?

Not many.

At the predatory pricing and terrible value of our health care - no, you cannot afford health care. At 1/2 the price, which is where it should be, many could afford it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2018, 04:22 PM

4,149 posts, read 3,904,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Health Care in CUBA is about $500 per person per year AND THEY LIVE LONGER than we do.

So, since you are all about paying your own bills, let's do the math on our 100K couple with two kids.

100K income - minus fed taxes and ss and medicare and state taxes. Let's say they net 80K per year.

Mortgage
Cars and transportation
Furnishings
Savings/Retirement
Utilities
Repairs and upkeep

This doesn't balance! Why? Easy, because the US Government pays 2/3rd of all health care costs in this country and does do out of debt and deficit. We ALL are on welfare unless we pay in excess of 70K per year in taxes and health care costs year after year...and how many people do that?

Not many.

At the predatory pricing and terrible value of our health care - no, you cannot afford health care. At 1/2 the price, which is where it should be, many could afford it.
But but didn't Trump campaign that he would replace Obamacare with something better and cheaper?

Old 12-01-2018, 04:27 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,099,201 times
Quote:

Mortgage
Cars and transportation
Furnishings
Savings/Retirement
Utilities
Repairs and upkeep

Not many.

2 kids in school... you can't afford it. That's the reality. Each of my three know exactly what they must do to get to college because even though I make a good living, it is not enough. That's the reality. Sure I am going to help.. but I'm not under any delusion that they are going to get a free ride curtesy of mommy/daddy. It is my responsibility to prepare them for that. Yes.. it sucks... but that's the reality.

You should read my posts more clearly.

I'm not saying this is a good situation.... it sucks (national debt and all). However, I have very little pity for whining from a household income that is almost double of the national average. This isn't discussion about health care costs, it is about ACA/Obamacare. Two different topics. The poster I responded to quoted 800/month for a family of 4+. So we are NOT talking about $44k a year but $9600 per year..... and yet whining about how it is unaffordable.

Most of my friends are in very low income. Under $30k. They don't whine this much.

Old 12-01-2018, 06:32 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,435,782 times
Enrollment into ObamaCare for 2017 (Trumps first year in Ofcice) was at the end of 2016 prior to Trump's first year.

Old 12-01-2018, 07:10 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:

Mortgage
Cars and transportation
Furnishings
Savings/Retirement
Utilities
Repairs and upkeep

Not many.

What do the doctors make in those countries? The nurses? Our life expectancy is roughly equivalent to the EU overall. https://www.infoplease.com/world/hea...cy-countries-0 Shockingly (/s), in Britain, the life expectancy is considerably lower for the poor than for the well off: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8211866.html The US does have better cancer survival rates than many countries. https://www.healio.com/hematology-on...ghest-in-world So before you go throwing the baby out with the bathwater, you'd do well to really examine health care in the various countries.

Old 12-01-2018, 07:28 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,709,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Put it up there, Bucko.

Without insurance they don't get vaccinations, ear infections go untreated, ...

Compassion aside, which seems in mighty short supply on the right, these kids are sitting next to your kids and grandkids at McDonalds. Playing on the same equipment. Their spinal meningitis is contagious.
I have yet to find a county which didn't provide free immunizations for children, and I've lived in 18 states. Most also have a free clinic which deals with minor childhood illnesses.

Old 12-01-2018, 07:37 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,220,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
That’s the parents problem. Can’t afford them, don’t breed them.

Old 12-01-2018, 08:03 PM

20,102 posts, read 9,015,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
I have yet to find a county which didn't provide free immunizations for children, and I've lived in 18 states. Most also have a free clinic which deals with minor childhood illnesses.
but but thats not what MSNBC says!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies