Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 10:42 AM

27,556 posts, read 28,647,655 times

Advertisements

I routinely questioned the authority of Obama for eight years.

I am happy that I got a chance to exercise my right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 10:42 AM

10,744 posts, read 4,340,156 times
And if "free" involves hogging the microphone and preventing your fellow reporters from having their turn, then obviously there is a problem with free.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:46 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,660,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Or do you believe that only a media that says nice things about you and Donald should be allowed and all others who ask inconvenient questions are "enemy of the People?"
Trump certainly comes off as anti Press. All presidents have had their run ins with them. I think the press has a job to do and sometimes they try to hard to do that job. I think its easy to forget that that media outlets are a business and they are competing against other media outlets for Advertising dollars. The more viewers/readers they have the more advertising they sell the more money they make. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to know that they will often mislead the public in order to get those viewers/readers.

Its because of that angle that i give MSM very little credibility. Sure they can report the news but just reporting the news doesn't cut it. They have to sensationalize and make the story bigger than it is... That's the fake news you hear so much about. If the media simply reported the news without any skin in the game, they would be respected, but because they don't.. and perhaps they can't, they often do more harm than good.

BTW, if you think Trump is the worst president in regards to the way he treats the press then you should go read what Abraham Lincoln did to the press he didn't like...

Old 11-29-2018, 10:47 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,645,527 times
Fake News isn't the free press. Its the enemy of the people.
Propaganda is the standard of leftist media who have killed journalism.
They often incorrectly refer to themselves as a free press but are in fact owned by wealthy lefties and promote the lunacy of their owners.
Having driven a stake through the heart of journalistic ethics and standards a complete and detailed definition of " Free Press" is required for any meaningful discussion.

What the facts show is the press can't be objective in commenting on the press. The conflict of interest doesn't allow it to be objective. The bias is there and noticeable when they try it. No better example than programs where press is the issue to be discussed and various members of the press are the commentators.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:48 AM

1,199 posts, read 638,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
And if "free" involves hogging the microphone and preventing your fellow reporters from having their turn, then obviously there is a problem with free.
The thread started with a general question about the role of media in a free society, and offered Trump's frequent claims that the press is the "enemy" as a starting point for discussion.

Why are you focusing exclusively on a single incident where a reporter hogged a microphone?

Old 11-29-2018, 10:51 AM

17,441 posts, read 9,264,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Wow. Can't imagine anyone not thinking a free press is vital for democracy.

The question by the OP has nothing to do with “ Free Press - it’s about anyone daring to question the Left Wing Press that is totally Hostile to both the President of the United States, the people who elected him and all of his Administration.

“ Free Press “ to them means the Leftist Press is “free “ to Lie, edit remarks, edit & photo shop pictures and not be called out on it. It also means the President is not allowed to speak (Twitter).

Old 11-29-2018, 10:52 AM

27,556 posts, read 28,647,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Wow. Can't imagine anyone not thinking a free press is vital for democracy.
The United Stares does not have a free press for the most part. It was lost a long time ago.

Most of the “free press” is nothing but propaganda driven by left-wing activists.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:53 AM

13,949 posts, read 5,620,645 times
Again I ask, where is an example of the press not being capable of independently questioning authority?

Using one example - CNN's Acosta. He has not lost his capability of independently questioning authority, nor has his employer CNN. They independently question Trump's authority all day, every day, with no interruption. Only thing that happened to Acosta is temporarily losing his invitation to do so inside Trump's house. He can still stand outside and independently questioning authority all the live long day, and nobody can stop him.

So where has the press lost their capability to independently questioning authority?

Old 11-29-2018, 10:56 AM

25,842 posts, read 16,521,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Welp. The OP was seeking to have a decent and fact-based discussion.

But leave it to literally the very first reply, and we get (look at the screen name I'm quoting) to start pointing fingers at the group of people who have different views/opinions than him.

I'm shocked, I tell you. Completely blindsided.
You are calling someone out for derailing a discussion? That’s hilarious!

Old 11-29-2018, 10:57 AM

5,129 posts, read 2,596,292 times
the "free" press yes.
the fake news press no.
there IS a difference
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies