Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 04:13 PM

18,450 posts, read 7,077,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
There are right-wing media outfits, too. How many conservatives are there in the land? Get your own media platforms if you feel under-served. Big money opportunity!
But for God's sake, quite sniveling about how the press is an enemy of the people because it does not conform in all ways to your own bias. That's stupid.

Media does not have to be - nor has it ever been - free of "bias." That's why you're supposed to be an educated adult to interpret disparate sources of information as objectively as possible and form your own opinion.

A Free Press doesn't have to conform to my bias.

It just has to not blatantly conform to it's bias.

Especially if it wants to paint itself as some type of champions of the people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 04:19 PM

78,281 posts, read 60,492,074 times
I find this thread hillarious after 8 years of people AND EVEN Obama, Hillary etc. complaining about the bias of Fox news. Suddenly now there is no bias and of course bringing it up is some sort of horrible thing? Lol I agreed with Obama and Hillary before, of course Fox is biased.

I support a free press but let's not be fools. The "free press" is owned by mega corporations and must make ratings in an increasingly competitive landscape. As such, most are biased, some more heavily than others.

That being said, despite Trumps whining, all those news organizations are still raking him over the coals on a daily basis.

So frankly, I think the complaints about hindered free press are largely projected and political in nature.

Last edited by Mathguy; 11-29-2018 at 04:30 PM..

Old 11-29-2018, 04:20 PM

10,711 posts, read 4,328,722 times
I wonder if there is any profession in the world that people have less confidence in than the media.
Maybe lawyers, but people generally like their own lawyers, whereas who in the world trusts a journalist?
When people are interviewed, they are scared that the person interviewing them is going to take them out of context and hurt them in an article (or the editor is going to screw them).
And how about the reporters that chase people on the street? They get away with it, but they are stalking, harassing and assaulting people.
I cannot think of a profession that people trust less than the media.

Old 11-29-2018, 05:00 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,229,133 times
A little history can help here. At the time of the founding fathers, in France before and during their revolution, presses were violently destroyed by the authorities when those publications published issues that were not government approved. Editors and writers would be imprisoned and sometimes executed.

Fast-forward to modern France where a lively free press exists. There are publications across the entire gamut of political affiliations, as well as a few news services which strive for more of a middle ground. No one expects all news outlets to have the same point of view. They all get along relatively peacefully, outside the clearly terrorist attacks which have followed some issues.

I don't understand why people get so outraged about the conservative and liberal biases of the mainstream media. They are a business, just as the newspapers were hundreds of years ago. Having a free press means that the journalists can do their jobs without impediment, and especially without the threat of imprisonment or death for their published works. It does not mean that every publication must tell the same version of events.

Triangulation for the truth is a bit like calculus--the more publications you read and view, the more closely you will approximate the truth. (Loved that term!)

Personally I watch the BBC World Report, the CBS Evening News, the PBS Newshour, Washington Week in Review, and sometimes Firing Line. I rarely watch other networks and I almost never watch the "celebrity journalists." I listen to NPR. My print media includes our local paper ($50! cough!), the New York Times (only $15), the Reuters and AP wire service apps, the BBC, FoxNews and NPR apps and several professional blogs, some with a political bent and some not. I also watch French news on France 24 and AFP regularly, which seem to be unbiased reporting. I don't listen to talk radio or read political blogs.

I am what you would call a news junkie. I'm also a confirmed independent, so I steer away from news media with an extreme bent like ABC, NBC, and Fox news networks. CBS is barely tolerable. It helps that I rarely get emotional about what is going on in the news. I can criticize anyone I chose because I'm not invested in a particular view of things. It's liberating.

Old 11-29-2018, 06:10 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,362,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Wow. Can't imagine anyone not thinking a free press is vital for democracy.
True but the lefts idea of a "free press" is liberal propaganda short on fact long on opinion and bias, not journalism.

Old 11-29-2018, 06:14 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,362,476 times
Quote:
Or do you believe that only a media that says nice things about you and Donald should be allowed and all others who ask inconvenient questions are "enemy of the People?"
Funny that's exactly what liberals believed when Obama was president and shutting out Fox. Now liberals think only democrat activists that say negative things about the president should be allowed to ask questions and whine and wail about attacks on "the free press" when ONE obnoxious so-called journalist is kicked out.

Old 11-29-2018, 06:22 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,580,324 times
Quote:
Or do you believe that only a media that says nice things about you and Donald should be allowed and all others who ask inconvenient questions are "enemy of the People?"
A better question to ask, is how many conservatives want a democracy, in the first place?

Old 11-29-2018, 06:29 PM

30,325 posts, read 19,107,564 times
Quote:
Today's press is butthurt over losing the 2016 election and is super biased against Trump and all Republicans and has been for decades...it's our duty as those seeking truth and accuracy to fight their lies and I thank God Trump is taking them head on.

Old 11-29-2018, 06:35 PM

1,645 posts, read 1,212,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
A better question to ask, is how many conservatives want a democracy, in the first place?
The US is not a democracy, it is a democratic republic but a free press is vital yes.

Old 11-30-2018, 12:24 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,441,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
A Free Press doesn't have to conform to my bias.

It just has to not blatantly conform to it's bias.

Especially if it wants to paint itself as some type of champions of the people.
And what is "it's" bias? Any bias that isn't the same as yours?

Here's a thought for you conservatives so worked up about the media: if you don't like it, form your own media outlets.

You already have FOX, Breitbart, Infowars. What percentage of the public do you make up? Quite a damn lot. So there should be enough for people to vote with their ears / pocketbooks and create more outlets with your viewpoints instead of trying to limit other existing ones you don't like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies