Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2018, 06:53 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
PEOPLE NEED TO GET A GRIP!!!
We didnt have these damn issues 30 years ago!!
People weren't such snowflakes then like they are today
Even thirty years ago, I thought the song was creepy. It belongs to another time and place, so let's please leave it there. Furthermore, the song has nothing to do with Christmas even though the OP wants to present it as much. It's about a guy hoping to get lucky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2018, 06:53 AM

4,336 posts, read 1,555,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDiFiore View Post
That song is absolutely a prelude to date rape, and I don't think it's a great idea to play it over the radio.

That said, I really like that tune and any other Rat Pack/Nat King Cole/Bing Crosby/Elle Fitzgerald-type interpretation of classic Christmas songs, and they're always on when I'm in the kitchen this time of year.

I completely understand why some folks find "Baby It's Cold Outside" offensive, but it isn't one-tenth as offensive "Jingle Bell Rock." The opening guitar riff of that song is like a dentist drill.
What you said is no idiotic to not warrant serious discussion. Get a grip. Get some Poligrip if necessary.

Old 12-03-2018, 06:54 AM

5,701 posts, read 3,223,098 times
There's a new front in the war opening every day. We must stay vigilant and defend the greatest holiday.

Old 12-03-2018, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlblkrubi View Post
I challenge the damn libs that hate Christmas to just stay at work, if you even work, and don't take anytime off during the holidays. Just go about your pathetic lives and leave the rest of us alone.
How about you join us in church, so you'll finally understand that the theme of the season is not about a creepy guy trying to get lucky in the middle of a snowstorm?

Old 12-03-2018, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I mentioned in another thread that I am far from young and I've never been sexually assaulted, but even I find the song a little creepy. I've never liked it. Commercial Christmas songs are generally obnoxious, and very rarely are they even tangentially related to the holiday. Christmas music is something you hear in church and has a religious foundation, which is anathema to Top 100 radio, so we end up with music like Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer at this time of year rather than O Come, O Come Emmanuel. I've never considered myself particularly prudish, but today I hear stuff on the radio that makes my jaw drop, stuff that is completely inappropriate for polite company. You want to celebrate Christmas with music? Fine, but let's please remember what it's supposed to be all about and stop pretending that this 74-year-old song about a guy hoping to get lucky has anything to do with it.
I find the idea of worshiping a baby king offensive as hell.

Old 12-03-2018, 06:57 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,087,126 times
Nothing funnier than Trump's fake "war on Christmas," and all the politicians and conservative pundits who worship him over it.

"Thank you, Mr President, for bringing back "Merry Christmas."" Huh?

Old 12-03-2018, 06:57 AM

Quote:
How about you join us in church, so you'll finally understand that the theme of the season is not about a creepy guy trying to get lucky in the middle of a snowstorm?
You're dead-ended in the past.

Old 12-03-2018, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
I find the idea of worshiping a baby king offensive as hell.
Fine, but that's the meaning of Christmas. You're free to celebrate Festivus or whatever other mid-winter holiday suits your fancy.

The OP is way, WAY off base with his war on Christmas nonsense. If there is a war on Christmas, it starts with the idiotic pretense that Baby, It's Cold Outside has anything to do with the religious holiday celebrated on December 25th. You want Christmas music? Look to Joy to the World rather than Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer or any of the other obnoxious music played on commercial radio stations at this time of year.

Honestly, I'd be fine if Christmas could be left to the Christians and the rest of the world just embraced Festivus. The war on Christmas was won long ago when Starbucks cups and a song called Baby, It's Cold Outside became the ultimate representation of the Christian liturgical seasons called Advent and Christmas in the frightfully limited intellect of the OP and his peers.

Last edited by randomparent; 12-03-2018 at 07:55 AM..

Old 12-03-2018, 07:16 AM

Location: Close to Pittsburgh, but NOT Pittsburgh ('cause I don't pay CoP taxes)
252 posts, read 236,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
What you said is no idiotic to not warrant serious discussion. Get a grip. Get some Poligrip if necessary.
I try to keep posts short, since certain folks' brains shut down after reading more than 280 characters.

I like that song. I enjoy playing it at my home. It shouldn't be on the radio.

Old 12-03-2018, 07:21 AM

5,735 posts, read 3,254,101 times
I never gave the song much thought back then and I knew people who liked it.

If people like the song, let them have it. I could care less about all the triggered snow flakes.

Quote:
Even thirty years ago, I thought the song was creepy. It belongs to another time and place, so let's please leave it there. Furthermore, the song has nothing to do with Christmas even though the OP wants to present it as much. It's about a guy hoping to get lucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies